A Yarn Bomb in NY

31 May 2011 20:36 #1 by ScienceChic
Another one! I love hearing about these things!

http://www.grist.org/cities/2011-05-31- ... chen-video
A yarn bomb in Hell’s Kitchen [/b] by Sarah Goodyear 31 May 2011 [quote]Yarn bombing -- covering stuff on the street with crocheted or knitted cozies -- has become a common enough practice that it merited the dreaded "trend" treatment in The New York Times a couple of weeks ago. That doesn't mean that it can't still be very cool. And this little video is about an especially sweet case of yarn bombing. A couple of store owners in New York's Hell's Kitchen neighborhood have covered the trunk of a tree outside their shop with a colorful sleeve that is constantly changing. It includes memorials to two neighborhood children who have died recently. The creators say that the best part of the project has been watching how people react to it.[/quote] [youtube:36l95cdw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njsd3OnOchs&feature=player_embedded[/youtube:36l95cdw][VIDEO][/b]
by Sarah Goodyear
31 May 2011

Yarn bombing -- covering stuff on the street with crocheted or knitted cozies -- has become a common enough practice that it merited the dreaded "trend" treatment in The New York Times a couple of weeks ago.

That doesn't mean that it can't still be very cool. And this little video is about an especially sweet case of yarn bombing.

A couple of store owners in New York's Hell's Kitchen neighborhood have covered the trunk of a tree outside their shop with a colorful sleeve that is constantly changing. It includes memorials to two neighborhood children who have died recently.

The creators say that the best part of the project has been watching how people react to it.

[youtube:36l95cdw]
[/youtube:36l95cdw]

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Jun 2011 06:06 #2 by RivendaleFarms
Replied by RivendaleFarms on topic A Yarn Bomb in NY
Aren't they great! Thanks for posting this, SC.

We just found a pattern for little hats and scarves that fit liquor and wine bottles, keep threatening to yarn bomb Brook's Tavern but haven't got that far yet. (The staff at Brook's are fans of knitted items and the group that meets Saturdays to knit at the Knook are fans of Brook's, so it's a mutual thing.)

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

01 Jun 2011 18:57 #3 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic A Yarn Bomb in NY
(Psst, if you ever wanna organize that yarn bombing at Brook's, I'm all in!) :thumbsup: :biggrin:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

02 Jun 2011 06:31 #4 by RivendaleFarms
On the knitting, the bombing, or the drinking?

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

08 Jun 2011 09:42 #5 by wildiris
Replied by wildiris on topic A Yarn Bomb in NY

RivendaleFarms wrote: We just found a pattern for little hats and scarves that fit liquor and wine bottles, keep threatening to yarn bomb Brook's Tavern but haven't got that far yet. (The staff at Brook's are fans of knitted items and the group that meets Saturdays to knit at the Knook are fans of Brook's, so it's a mutual thing.)

These are sooo cute, and sooo easy to knit up!
There is a class being offered at the Knit Knook for these adorable little hats and scarfs that would make great gifts!
File Attachment:

08 Jun 2011 09:45 #6 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic A Yarn Bomb in NY

RivendaleFarms wrote: On the knitting, the bombing, or the drinking?

I can crochet, can't knit. Can definitely do the other two, with Au-thor-i-tah (as Cartman would say!) and Enthusiasm!!! :thumbsup:

Wildiris, I like those hats and scarves! I try not to let my babies get so cold that they'd need them, lol but I have friends who aren't so kind to their bottles and would need them - gifties! Will you guys have some for sale in the store?

08 Jun 2011 09:59 #7 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic A Yarn Bomb in NY
I am a crocheter as well.

08 Jun 2011 10:17 #8 by RivendaleFarms
SC, I've been trying to convert CG to knitting for-evah, you're next on the list.....

15 Jun 2011 10:44 #9 by Crazy Heart
Replied by Crazy Heart on topic A Yarn Bomb in NY

wildiris wrote:

RivendaleFarms wrote: We just found a pattern for little hats and scarves that fit liquor and wine bottles, keep threatening to yarn bomb Brook's Tavern but haven't got that far yet. (The staff at Brook's are fans of knitted items and the group that meets Saturdays to knit at the Knook are fans of Brook's, so it's a mutual thing.)

These are sooo cute, and sooo easy to knit up!
There is a class being offered at the Knit Knook for these adorable little hats and scarfs that would make great gifts!
File Attachment:

I want to make these.

15 Jun 2011 11:13 #10 by RivendaleFarms
Crazy Heart, Diane at the Knook has the pattern, you can either pop in or give her a call 303-838-2118. If you're already a knitter, you'll be fine. If not, she's offering a class to learn how to make them. (Also a group of us meet at the Knook every Saturday morning around 10 to knit, laugh, drink coffee, laugh, gab a bit, laugh, etc. - feel free to join us anytime - it's a great group!)

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds