Butter used to be it's own food group.

06 Jun 2011 21:25 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Butter used to be it's own food group. was created by CinnamonGirl

This 1943 food wheel was designed primarily to help Americans deal with the shortage of food supplies. Surprisingly, it represented a reduction from the 12 basic food groups identified in 1933. (The Basic Four came in 1956.)

While MyPlate, the latest icon unveiled by the United States Department of Agriculture today, doesn't mention butter specifically and advises eating a slightly greater proportion of fruits and vegetables, it's worth noting that it has no place for sugar or dessert. Gone are the specific illustrations of foods—the bananas, fish, and cheese—depicted here. The food groupings have been greatly simplified.

http://www.good.is/post/before-myplates ... ood-wheel/

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/history/basic7.htm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Jun 2011 21:43 #2 by otisptoadwater
If butter wasn't meant to be eaten buy the serving why is it packaged like candy bars? Same thing with bacon, it comes in a one pound package, there must be a reason... Ever seen a COSTCO sized box of Oreos? There's a stomach ache in a box!

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

08 Jun 2011 16:52 #3 by rocky mtn thyroid center
I almost think that butter should be a food group, CG.

At least real butter.

Too bad Americans are still stuck in the great misinformation campaign of " eat low fat "

What nonsense.

T

08 Jun 2011 17:11 #4 by archer
If butter gets it's own food group, why not chocolate?

08 Jun 2011 17:26 #5 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Butter used to be it's own food group.
I believe this was during a food shortage. Normally they would be stupid to endorse butter.

But then again. Right now the corn lobbyists have the government by the balls. Corn is in like 70% of our food.

08 Jun 2011 18:03 #6 by JMC

rocky mtn thyroid center wrote: I almost think that butter should be a food group, CG.

At least real butter.

Too bad Americans are still stuck in the great misinformation campaign of " eat low fat "

What nonsense.

T

Could you expand a bit, I am a believer in real fats, butter, duck fat even bacon, I just don't trust the phony ones.

10 Jun 2011 12:19 #7 by rocky mtn thyroid center
Sure, JMC

Fats are probably the least understood food group, don't you agree?

I'm with you that good fats that are unadulterated by human processing are critical for so many aspects of your health.

You kinda sound like you have been exposed to the teachings of Weston Price. He was a dentist in the 30's who traveled the world to see the effects of native diets on mouth and teeth health.
His basic conclusion: Western diets are much less nutritious than Native ones and one of the areas the Native diets really excel is in good fats.

Goose fat, Lard, butter, have been traditionally bashed as "artery clogging" saturated fat, according to the gospel of Ancel Keyes, who started the whole low fat movement with his incredibly flawed analysis of fats in diets across many cultures.

As the result of this utter nonsense, America's health has plunged.

It is really interesting to see a graph of butter consumption over the last 100 years and the incidence of heart attacks. They appear to be inverse to each other. That is to say, that as butter consumption declined the incidences of negative cardiovascular events increased.

Now, I know better than to claim causation in 2 variables when there are many other variables existing. But it is illuminating just the same.

And to think that a whole generation grew up thinking margarine was healthy..... Yeesh.

Can definitely expand more if you want.

Dr. T

10 Jun 2011 12:23 #8 by rocky mtn thyroid center
hey CG-

It's interesting to note how many people react to corn in a negative way either clinically with symptoms or sub clinically with alterations in physiology.

Just not a very good food for most people. Although, I have fond memories of eating fresh corn on the cob soaked in........ Butter!

Terry

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds