Knitting: It’s not just a winter sport

17 Jun 2010 14:05 #1 by KnitKnook

Knitting: It’s not just a winter sport

What’s the first thought that pops in your head when you think of knitting? For many experienced knitters and beginners alike, it’s wool, wool, and more wool. It may be very, very nice wool, but still it’s wool. It’s understandable, then, that knitting is often put aside until the weather cools and we look forward to having a warm sweater-in-progress on our laps.

So, for the 80+ degree days coming up I’d like to introduce some new thoughts:

Cotton…Linen…Bamboo…Silk…

Short sleeve, lightweight knit t-shirts in ice cream sherbet colors
Alpaca lace shawls for cool summer nights
Leafy, light and drapey scarves
Socks, socks and more socks

So, just like the Olympics have a Winter and Summer version, so does knitting. (And yes, we do think Knitting is a sport, but that’s another topic.) If you have a project underway, we’d love to see you at the shop to visit and get caught up and show off your progress. If you don’t, we’ll be glad to help you pick a pattern and the right yarn to get going. If you don’t knit yet but would like to, our summer classes are a great place to start.

Picture a warm summer day, sitting on the deck knitting something light and yummy. Oh, and a cold beer. Life is definitely good.

Diane Edwards is the owner of The Knit Knook , a yarn and coffee shop located in the King Sooper’s shopping center in Aspen Park. She taught herself to knit at the age of 10, to crochet at the age of 15, and her love of fiber arts has continued to grow. She loves teaching new people how to knit and teaching experienced knitters new techniques.

The Knit Knook opened in 2007 and carries a large and varied selection of yarns and supplies. Classes are available for all levels and interests.

Summer hours are Tuesdays & Thursdays 10am – 8pm, Wednesdays & Fridays 10am – 5pm, Saturdays 10am – 4pm. Closed Sundays and Mondays. Call Diane with any questions at 303.838.2118 or stop by for a cappuccino and a visit.

Knit Knook LLC, 10903 US Hwy 285, Suite E202, Conifer, CO 80433
303-838-2118
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.knitknook.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Jun 2010 14:34 #2 by wildiris
Gosh, I knit all the time, no matter what the weather or season. I generally have different projects going. Something easy and small to take with me wherever I go, one challenging project, one large project, etc... Knitting is a great way to relax and has lots of health benefits. Also, handmade knitted gifts are the best! Here is a good article on the benefits of knitting. http://bestillandknit.com/benefits-of-knitting
So... I agree, knitting is not just a winter sport! Hope to see you and your knitting projects at the Knit Knook soon!

21 Jun 2010 08:35 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Knitting: It’s not just a winter sport
I crochet and this applies there too. Curious, where do you get good summer patterns?

21 Jun 2010 09:09 #4 by hvgal
Diane has crochet patterns as well as knit patterns. Here is my fun summer project...knitted, felted flip flops. I am working on a pattern now and if I am successful I will teach it in August at the Knit Knook. How much more summer can you get? And as far as knitting as a sport...did anyone ever question that?

21 Jun 2010 09:16 #5 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Knitting: It’s not just a winter sport
Are you talking about covers for the tops of flip flops? How cool is that?

I think that knitting/crochet is a sport. I have been trying to learn knitting and I can cast on but I am not getting what I am doing wrong after that. I have tried through the years occasionally and just haven't tried hard enough until I get it. Crochet I have done for 25 years. Just really easy for me. I have seen some hybrid crochet and knitting and would like to try that.

Crochet is so relaxing. My favorite thing in the whole world is to crochet during sports or football. LOL.

21 Jun 2010 13:32 #6 by wildiris
I think the flip flops hvgal is referring to are actually knit and then felted. Here is an example of a pattern I found online.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/49596159/kn ... flip-flops
There are so many patterns online and many of them are free. http://www.Ravelry.com is one of my favorite sources of patterns.

21 Jun 2010 16:49 #7 by RivendaleFarms
Hey! hvgal! Welcome! Missed seeing you Saturday, are you feeling better?

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds