car accident...what do I need to know about salvaging the ca

11 Jun 2011 21:05 #1 by chocolove
Ok so the kiddo had an accident in the car. The insurance company wants to total it and I will talk to them more about it on Monday. I want to find out if it is worth fixing it. Anyone really know how this works? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jun 2011 21:08 #2 by CC
If the insurance co says it is totaled....you are pretty much done. You could try and buy it back from them but it is usually not worth it. Is the frame bent?

11 Jun 2011 21:17 #3 by chocolove
That is what I have to find out from them. Since it is a used car I was thinking it was going to cost more than what they think it is worth so I wanted to see what quotes they got to see if it is worth it. The picture Jordan took doesn't look too bad so I am just checking out all my options. From what the insurance company says they won't pay off the car. Yeah bad us we didn't check the bluebook value but it was my first time buying a used car...what do I know?

11 Jun 2011 21:43 #4 by Blazer Bob
If it were me, I would stop into O'mally's and get Leo's opinion.

11 Jun 2011 21:55 #5 by chocolove
Thanks, I was going to see if I could get some estimates on my own for repairs...from the pictures I have seen there shouldn't be any damage to the engine. No airbags went off and the damage is at the back of the car on the roof.

11 Jun 2011 22:11 #6 by Blazer Bob

chocolove wrote: Thanks, I was going to see if I could get some estimates on my own for repairs...from the pictures I have seen there shouldn't be any damage to the engine. No airbags went off and the damage is at the back of the car on the roof.

I was thinking about more than the repair costs. I was in there a ways back waiting for my car when someone came in with a similar circumstance to yours. Since my memory is less than perfect I will not try and recount it, but there was an angle or two that would not have occurred to me in a million years.

Not to say that anything I heard applies to your circumstances, but ya never know. Leo has been around the block at least once.

12 Jun 2011 09:28 #7 by Martin Ent Inc
what type of car? some aren't worth messing with

Your ins. or someone elses?

You can deal with them and tell them if it is totaled you will make arrangements to have it diposed of then either part it out or rebuild it and it will have a salvage title.

12 Jun 2011 09:44 #8 by chocolove
1999 subaru forrester. In looking stuff up it sounds like you can't salvage a car that is older than 6 years. Our insurance.

13 Jun 2011 09:07 #9 by Martin Ent Inc
What? we have 1920's cars 30's 40's etc.

13 Jun 2011 09:12 #10 by 2wlady
Is the frame damaged? If so, it really itsn't worth it.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds