File This Under: Scratching Your Head in Disbelief

15 Jun 2011 10:29 #1 by ScienceChic
:dontget: :faint:

http://www.grist.org/list/2011-06-14-bu ... to-diabete
Buy a half-gallon of sugar water at KFC, give a dollar to diabetes research
by Jess Zimmerman
14 Jun 2011

I honestly didn't believe this one was for real at first. No way even KFC, purveyors of a sandwich that uses fried meat as a delivery mechanism for fried meat, would seriously market a soda size called the "mega jug." And even if they did, they'd never have the chutzpah to donate "mega jug" dollars to juvenile diabetes research.

Sadly, I had totally underestimated KFC's capacity for irony. The mega jug is a half gallon of soda, and this is a real local promotion. The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation defends it thus: "JDRF supports research for type 1 diabetes, an autoimmune disease that results when the immune system attacks the cells in the pancreas that produce insulin, therefore requiring a child or adult with the disease to depend on insulin treatment for the rest of their lives. It is a common misconception that type 1 diabetes is caused by obesity or eating too much junk food or sweets." OK, yes, this is true. ...of course, sugar consumption IS connected to type 2 diabetes.

So this is basically equivalent to a "smoke cigarettes to raise money for colon cancer" promotion.

File Attachment:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jun 2011 20:54 #2 by pineinthegrass
This kind of seems like carbon credits or cap and trade. You produce something bad, then pay for your sins.

Then again, for all we know it could be diet Coke. :biggrin:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds