Is your shampoo making you fat?

29 Jun 2011 23:50 #1 by ScienceChic
http://www.grist.org/living/2011-06-28- ... ng-you-fat
Is your shampoo making you fat?
by Laura Fraser, OnEarth
28 Jun 2011

We all know that Americans -- leading the way for the rest of the developed world -- are getting fatter. For years, the explanation for weight gain was straightforward: it was all about energy balance, or calories-in versus calories-out. This Gluttony and Sloth theory held that obesity simply came from overeating and underexercising, and the only debate was about dieting -- whether it was better to join the low-fat or the low-carb camp. Some scientists explored genetic differences associated with fat, but others said genes couldn't possibly explain the rate at which Americans were gaining weight:

Environmental scientists have long suggested that there were likely external factors at work, but until recently, the traditional obesity-research community rejected such claims. Now it seems that the tide is turning: This month's issue of Obesity Reviews features an extensive look at the accumulating body of research linking the environment with obesity.

Paula Baillie-Hamilton, an expert on metabolism and environmental toxins at Stirling University in Scotland, was among the first to make the link between the obesity epidemic and the increase in the chemicals in our lives. Exposure to those chemicals, said Baillie-Hamilton, can damage the body's natural weight-control mechanisms. She calls toxic chemicals that act as endocrine disruptors -- mimicking hormones, and blocking or exaggerating our natural hormonal responses -- "chemical calories," and those in question include Bisphenol A, phthalates, PCBs, persistant organic pollutants such as DDE, a breakdown product of the insecticide DDT, and pesticides containing tin compounds called organotins. Many studies have shown that endocrine disruptors have been linked to early puberty, impaired immune function, different types of cancer, birth deformities, and other diseases. Now obesity and metabolism are on that list.

For her article in the new Obesity Reviews, Jeanett Tang-Peronard, of the Institute of Preventive Medicine in Copenhagen, looked at some 450 studies on endocrine disruptors and obesity and found that nearly all of them showed a correlation between exposure to those chemicals -- particularly in utero and in early childhood, when hormonal mechanisms are vulnerable -- and an increase in body size. She says that in early life, chemicals seem to alter the epigenetic regulation of certain genes, disrupting the programming of hormonal signaling pathways that affect fat storage, fat distribution, and appetite.

What to do about the problem of endocrine disruptors and obesity?

See article for answers!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Jun 2011 07:49 #2 by Momma Bear
In the past few years, I have really started to believe all of this. I also believe that lotions, deodorants, perfumes, hair dyes, etc can be attributed to obesity and cancer too. I have been forced (by myself) to make a few life style changes. I cleanse once a quarter, I only use natural products on my body (biolage shampoo, natural deodorants, etc). I have also stopped eating pork and only eat organic veggies and fruits. I have tried to limit the amount of meat that I eat and pretty much live on nuts, fish and chicken and have limited myself to beef only once a week. It has been a long going process in the making but I feel it is important to take care of my body, have more control of my life, and to surround myself only around positive people. Sometimes, we may be afraid to get older but I really think we get wiser. Has anyone else made life style changes? If so, what have you changed in your life?

30 Jun 2011 22:45 #3 by pineinthegrass
OK, I'll drop the shampoo and stick with the pizza. :biggrin:

01 Jul 2011 06:55 #4 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Is your shampoo making you fat?
And I thought it was from the beer. I'm dropping the shampoo, and washing my hair with coors lite.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

01 Jul 2011 15:31 #5 by FredHayek
It is becoming hip in certain circles to only wash your hair once a week, and most of the guys I know who do that are painfully thin.

I use 99% pure Ivory soap on my hair and am still fat.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

01 Jul 2011 16:29 #6 by Grady
So is the study saying that people with a larger than average body size shouldn't wash or use deodorants? :VeryScared:

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds