Why Borders Failed While Barnes & Noble Survived: Lesson in

24 Jul 2011 02:40 #1 by ScienceChic
Lesson in Adaptation: Not to harp on this point (okay, :wink: maybe a little!), but if you don't keep in touch with what your customers want, are actually doing, and adapt and change to fit that, then this demise is inevitable. It's why we frequently ask all of you for suggestions/ideas/comments on how you navigate (thank you neptune for starting that timely, lovely thread recently!) and use 285Bound and would like to see out of it. Please keep them coming so we can serve you best!  :Thanks: :thumbsup:

I'm sad to see Borders go, but as one person put it in the story, I shopped there to find what I wanted, then went home to Amazon to price compare, and usually ended up getting it through Amazon (especially if it was available for my Kindle). I love going to book stores and browsing and will miss that aspect, but survival of the fittest - Barnes and Noble will be it for now. Maybe some little bookstores can flourish again? The one type of books that I always do buy at the store are my kids' books, so I'll still need them for that. How about you guys? Do you still browse/purchase from bookstores, and if so, any particular kind of books/periodicals (I have friends who go in for the comics or fashion mags)?

http://www.npr.org/2011/07/19/138514209 ... c=fb&cc=fp
Why Borders Failed While Barnes & Noble Survived
by Yuki Noguchi
July 19, 2011

It appears to be all over for the Borders bookselling chain. The company will be liquidated — meaning sold off in pieces — and almost 11,000 employees will lose their jobs. The chain's 400 remaining stores will close their doors by the end of September.

Along with competitor Barnes & Noble, Borders pioneered the book megastore business. But Borders made some critical missteps over the years that cost it the business. The vast tracts of retail space that Borders will soon vacate speak to a gargantuan business that essentially killed itself. Borders also had an early technical advantage: a superior inventory system that could optimize, and even predict, what consumers across the nation would buy.

But in the mid-1990s, Borders lost its edge. "It made a pretty big bet in merchandising. [Borders] went heavy into CD music sales and DVD, just as the industry was going digital. Barnes & Noble also invested in beefing up its online sales. Eventually, it also developed its own e-reader, the Nook. Borders did not. Instead, it expanded its physical plant, refurbished its stores and outsourced its online sales operation to Amazon.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Jul 2011 06:26 #2 by Rockdoc
That is what evolution is all about, adapting to the various environmental feedbacks. The paleontologic record is full of failures. It's not always clear as to why some organisms failed and others flourished. My working hypotheses is that radical or extreme changes have too many flaws associated with them and as a result are less well equipped to handle environmental pressures or environmental disturbances than evolving genetic paradigms in which change is more moderate. Businesses are no different. They too need to receive and be receptive to feedback and then respond to it in positive ways to survive. Now that I think about it, the same can be said for political parties. Extreme liberal or conservative perspectives just may not work for similar reasons, they are out of touch with the people and not well equipped to address changing sociological needs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds