Do you Remember????

24 Jul 2011 23:30 - 24 Jul 2011 23:36 #1 by The Viking
There are so many great memories in this list! You can click on the video and either watch it or just let the music play while you read all the memories. ENJOY!

[youtube:2mzyt4hh]
[/youtube:2mzyt4hh]

Do you remember......

...when girls would pack a shoe box with a great lunch,
decorate the box and then auction it off?
The boy that bought it got to eat lunch with her.
Just like in the movie 'Oklahoma'.
Cool.

If you are old enough...take a stroll with me...
close your eyes and go back...before the Internet...
before semi-automatics and crack,
before Pong or SEGA or
Super Nintendo... ...

WAY ~ ~ ~ ~ BACK
~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~

The Good Humor man,
Red light, green light.

The corner store.

I'm talkin' bout hide and go seek at dusk.
Sittin' on the porch, Simon Says, Kick the Can,
Lunch boxes with a thermos...
chocolate milk, going home for lunch,
penny candy from the store, jump rope,
hopscotch, doubledutch, butterscotch,
skates with keys, kickball, dodgeball,
Jacks, Red Rover, Mother May I?

Hula Hoops and sunflower seeds, Whist and Old Maid,and Crazy Eights, wax lips and mustaches, Mary Janes, saddle shoes, and Coke bottles with the names of cities on the bottom, running through the sprinkler, circle pins, bobby pins. Spraying everyone with the hose. The smell of the sun and licking salty lips.... When, around the corner seemed far away, and going downtown seemed like going somewhere. Bedtime, climbing trees, making forts...backyard shows, lemonade stands, Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, sittin' on the curb, staring at clouds, your first bicycle, jumping down the steps, jumping on the bed, pillow fights, getting company, slumber parties, ribbon candy, Halloween, singing the rhymes while jumping rope, angel hair on the Christmas tree, white gloves and little hats, walking to church, walking to the movie Theater, the local public swimming pool, (come on! admit you peed in the pool!) ...being tickled to death, and running till you were out of breath, and laughing so hard that your stomach hurt... how about being tired from playin'?
Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for giggles.

Remember that?

Wait!...... Watching Saturday Morning cartoons... short commercials, Fat Albert, Road Runner, He-Man, Tarzan, The Three Stooges, and Bugs.... Or staying up for Gunsmoke.
Or back further, listening to Superman on the radio. A million mosquito bites. Sticky fingers. Howdy Doody, Zorro. Homemade ice cream. Building igloos out of snow banks, Walking to school, no matter what the weather. Or paying 7 cents to ride the school bus.

Candy cigarettes, Wax coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside, Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles, Coffee shops with juke boxes at the tables; Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum, home milk delivery in glass bottles, with cardboard stoppers.

Getting the neighborhood kids together for a great game of baseball in your back yard.
Camp Fire Girls, Bluebirds, Cub Scouts. Playing with the water sprinkler in the front yard on
hot days. White gloves and white hats to Sunday school. (a 'lady' never went anywhere without her white gloves!)

The first color tv in your house. It was really awful, but then we thought it was so neat!
The threat of Russia, Communism, and nuclear bombs. Fallout shelters. (We never had one.)

I never experienced fear or meanness on Halloween. There was no need for adult supervision.
Grandma's house and fried chicken and gravy on Sunday. All your cousins showed up too.
Ice tea with loads of sugar! Koolade right out of the little pack into your mouth. Mmmmmm.

The Saturday excursion to the movie theatre. We were gone all day, because there were 2 movies, 2 or 3 serials, cartoons, newsreels, and door prizes. I remember 'Gunfight at the OK Coral'. I pretended I was Jeanne Crain.

How about this one....the smell of fresh sheets and clothes on the line outside!!! Yes and watching mom get up early and string the clothes line around the yard and then help her take them down (after we washed our hands) and fold them. I can still remember the smell. Ahhhhhh!!!!

Valentine's Day was important, passing around cards in class, and the tiny candy hearts with sayings on them.
Do you know that now they have taken out the ones that say "God Bless You"?

Not steppin' on a crack or you'll break your mother's back... paper chains at Christmas, silhouettes of Lincoln and Washington...the smell of paste in school, and Evening in Paris. What about the girl that had the big bubbly handwriting, who dotted her "i's" with hearts?? School talent shows? Spanish class?
The Stroll, popcorn balls, & sock hops...American Bandstand. I was on tv on Fridays on Channel 5 (WBAP) in Fort Worth, Texas, on 'Teenage Downbeat' with Tom Malarky. Dancing in front of the cameras with my school friends. My brother won a pair of white buck shoes! Top Ten Dance Party in Dallas. I danced with Tony Martin on tv!

Beanie and Cecil, roller skate keys, cork pop guns, Drive-ins, Edsels!, Studebakers, wash tub wringers, the Fuller Brush man, reel-to-reel tape recorders, Tinker toys, the Erector Set, the Fort Apache Play set; Lincoln Logs, 15 cent McDonald hamburgers (before they even thought about counting how many they had sold, and 5 cent packs of baseball cards...with that awful pink slab of bubblegum, Penny candy; 18 cent-a-gallon gasoline.

Coloring books and crayolas, playing jacks, and how about playing Chopsticks on the piano? Everyone could do that! The first time my daddy heard me use the term 'cool !' Roller skate keys, and going on vacation in the family car. In the school gym, they would line you up and check your teeth? and the Polio shots!!!

Really beautiful Christmas music on the radio. Christmas took forever to arrive. My greatgrandmother had those awful clear plastic covers on her couch and chairs.

The Creature From The Black Lagoon....

Remember ?...
when there were two types of sneakers for girls and boys (Keds & PF Flyer), and the only time you wore them at school was for "gym". And the girls had those ugly white uniforms. And sweaty-smelling locker rooms. At my school, everyone would gang up on one person, and shove them in a cold shower - fully dressed! Then they had to go straight to class dripping wet!

When nearly everyone's Mom was at home when the kids got home from school.

When we had what I still feel now was the greatest music ever born!

When nobody owned a pure-bred dog. When a quarter was a decent allowance, and another quarter, a huge bonus. When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny. When girls neither dated nor kissed until late high school, if then.
Spin the bottle. Crushes. Gossip.
When your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces.
When all of your male teachers wore neckties, and female teachers had their hair done at a salon once a week, and they wore high heels.

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team.
War was a card game. Water balloons were the ultimate weapon. Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle. When milk went up one cent and everyone talked about it for weeks? When you got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped, without asking, all for free, every time. And, you didn't pay for air. Gas was 12 cents a gallon. And you got trading stamps to boot! When laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box.

I'm not finished yet...

When it took five minutes for the TV to warm up, if you even had one.
It was magic when dad would "remove" his thumb.

Remember lying on your back on the grass with your friends and saying things like "That cloud looks like a..." and playing baseball with no adults to help kids with the rules of the game. Back then, baseball was not a group learning experience-it was a game. Remember when stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic seals, 'cause no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger. Comic books, the first Mad Magazine.

....And...with all our progress...
don't you just wish...
just once...
you could slip back in time and savor the innocence, the respect, the slower pace...
and share it with the children of the 80's and 90's ...?

Are you someone who can still remember Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, Laurel & Hardy, Howdy Doody and The Peanut Gallery, The Lone Ranger, The Shadow Knows, Nellie Belle, Roy and Dale, Trigger and Buttermilk...
Hopalong Cassidy. Dibs! on something, and cookies and milk after school.

Saving your lunch money all week, so you could meet all your date-less friends at the Roller Rink on Saturday night? And you HAD to be home by 9 or 10:00 pm on the weekends..

And the sound of a reel mower on Saturday morning, and summers filled with bike rides, playing in cowboy land, baseball games, and visits to the pool...eating Kool-aid powder with sugar, and you were lucky if you could have a 6 oz Coke once in a great while.

Telephone party lines, 3-D movies, newsreels before the movie, P. F. Flyers, Butch wax, Telephone numbers with a word prefix ... (Drexel-5505), I still remember my grandmother's phone number to this day.) Pea shooters, slingshots, Howdy Doody.

45 RPM Records, 78 rpm's, Green Stamps, Hi-fi's (high technology, man), metal ice cube trays-with levers; mimeograph paper, blue Flash Bulbs, the first Polaroid camera;

Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-mo."
Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, "do over!"
"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest.
Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in "Monopoly."
The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was cooties.
It was unbelievable that dodgeball wasn't an Olympic event. Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot or a pea shooter.

Nobody was prettier than Mom.
Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better.
Taking drugs meant orange-flavored chewable aspirin.
Ice cream was considered a basic food group.
Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true.

Abilities were discovered because of a "double-dog-dare."
Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors.
Open House at school, and short summers, and Christmas took so long to come around.

How Mom made homemade cookies and brought them to your classroom for everyone to enjoy? Cub Scouts, Camp Fire Girls, french fries and tons of ketchup. How about the ice cream 'man' and his ice cream truck coming down your street with that funny music? And you were scared to death every single day that he wouldn't come to your street.

Wait!! Don't leave yet!

Remember......

When it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents?

When any parent could discipline anyone's else's kid, or feed him, or use him to carry groceries, and nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing of it. When they threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed...and did!
When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home. When the worst thing you could do at school was smoke in the bathrooms, flunk a test or chew gum. And do you remember cheat sheets, and writing dates of history on your hand before a test? (serious trouble if you got caught), and spelling bees?

In school, girls could only wear dresses, bussed field trips, and the sock hops and dances were in the gym, and all the girls wore pastel gowns with netting, and the boys wore suits for the first time, with Dad's tie.

Submarine races, and people went steady, and girls wore a class ring with an inch of wrapped dental floss or yarn coated with pastel frost nailpolish so it would fit her finger.
What about your very first kiss? What was their name?
Do you remember when it was so important to respect your elders? And a gentleman always opened doors for ladies? And stand when a lady entered the room? And head scarves and cat's eye sunglasses, white frosted lipstick and nail polish, leather jackets, and chains hanging
from the hood's wallets?

And do you remember?

double-dates to the downtown theater?
Did your town have a Rialto? or the Palace? 'The OK Coral". Audy Murphy. The best movies were about WWII , cowboys and Indians, and Alfred Hitchcock's 'Psycho' (if you were old enough to get in). Remember they wouldn't let you in the theater after the first 15 minutes? The Creature From The Black Lagoon. How about the movie 'Peyton Place' (scandelous!). The book 'Peyton Place' and 'Lady Chatterley's Lover' were banned in Boston! And too decadent and mature for anyone under 18.

~~~~~

And no one ever asked where the car keys were 'cause they were always in the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked. And you got in big trouble if you accidentally locked the doors at home, since no one ever had a key.

My brother had a green 51 Chevy 2-door. One door wouldn't open, the other one wouldn't close. We had to tie it shut with a rope. Didn't bother us any. It wouldn't go over 35 mph, but that was fast enough to get away when we were throwing eggs at parked cars for fun. (That was the very meanest thing I ever did. Shame on me!)

How could anyone forget Look-Out Point, or bowling alleys and leagues?
And roller-coaster road doing 40 mph??
Cheerleaders, football players, Chorus, P.E., study hall.

The State Fair, and a duck's tail, and mood rings? Boys' white t-shirts with a pack of cigarettes rolled in the sleeve? If the sleeves were there.

Year book photos, and the scary Dean of boys, or girls. Fooling around in the halls, being late for class, writing your own absense excuses, and the first time you experienced 'air conditioning' in school instead of those hugh fans they used?

Basically, we were in fear for our lives but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat!

And some of us are still afraid of them!!!

If you can remember any of this, then you have LIVED!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Jul 2011 23:31 #2 by The Viking
Replied by The Viking on topic Do you Remember????
Here is Part 2 and things people added.......

Just about anywhere we went we walked laughing and giggling all the way. We had parties alot which consisted of playing Truth or Dare or Spin the Bottle while listening to Ricky Nelson, Elvis or The Everly Bros. etc... Refreshments were kool-aid and tuna or chicken salad sanwiches cut in quarters with chips. Every year we looked forward to the Fat Stock Show and State Fair. We would Scrounge up a cowboy hat,wrangler jeans and shirt then beg our parents for a new pair of Squaw Boots and off we went for an evening never to forget until the next year. Or how about when we tried to get as many as we could in a car to go to the drive in theatre. It only cost two dollars a car load so the more the merrier. They had chairs in front of the consession stand where you could set and watch the show.

I guess two of the things I loved doing the most was Hula hooping and dancing the twist. My biggest thrill was dancing on TV at "Teenage Downbeat"in 1959. My brother and I won the dance contest. He won a pair of snazy looking shoes and I won a gift set of Bonnie Bell products. That was the koolest. Thank God for our memories!

OMG-loved your site. Brought back sooooo many memories.
How about riding your bike to the movie theater at 9:30am, paying 25 cents and watching cartoons & cliff hangers until 4:00 pm. (and having enough extra for popcorn and a coke). Remember collecting empty soda bottles from along the roadside and putting them into your basket on your bike, then taking them to the corner store and getting 2 cents each for the small ones and a nickel for the quarts. I remember buying a bagful of candy with that money, candy dots on paper, sugar water in wax sip-size bottles, a Baby Ruth bar that must have weighed a pound for a nickel. Remember the hatchway to the cellar? Remember sitting on it, with one or two of your best friends during summer vacation, asking "WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO?",
"I DUNNO, WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO?" over, and over and over. How about Saturday mornings, getting up at 6 am so you could watch The Cisco Kid and Sea Hunt, before the cartoons came on at 7. Remember your folks getting the converter for the TV, so now you could get 3 stations insted of just one. Remember the long ride to the ocean in the summertime? (for us it was 5 hours), remember leaving at 5 am so you would still have enough "day" to have fun? How about sleeping on the rear window shelf? or the barefoot run across the parkinbg lot to the beach or boardwalk? Remember the ferris wheel, the bumper cars, the double-dip ice cream cone (the majority of which melted all over your hand, due to the heat, long before you got a chance to lick it). Remember the water powered rocket ships or flying a kite?
Just a few of my childhood memories.
Ron M. born 1948

"Oh how I thoroughly enjoyed your website . I was at work on lunch and me and my co-worker started talking about penny candy, and next thing I knew we were strolling down memory lane. And how refreshing. I definitely will be back. I have one for you.

I was born in 1952 so I could totally relate to all that I read.

But growing up in a family of 6, we had so much fun and how about this one. Christmas time meant Mom putting out the same decorations year after year, but we thought it was great and me and my younger brother reading “Twas the Night Before Christmas” On Christmas Eve, and always getting a new pair of pajamas, that was definitely a known gift and then waking up in the morning and saying our prayer by the manger and actually visiting neighbors, who actually would have the old train set running around the Christmas Tree."

"Or never dare saying you are bored - no such thing, hey how could you get bored when you get stand in the alley and throw stones and listen to them roll off the tin garage roofs!!!!"

"When Sundays were just that, nothing at all opened, church was a given and no one dare cut grass or work, and all load into the family car and head off to Grandma’s or aunts and uncles. Yes, we actually knew our aunts and uncles and cousins back then."

"Or did anyone every have cooked puffed rice? Well, sometimes my mom would actually run out of popcorn, and I think she always managed to have puffed rice (don’t forget back then it was probably around 29 cents!!!!) so she would put some butter and puffed rice and heat it up and that was treat until Daddy would give her another maybe $25 for next big grocery shopping!!!!! Yikes!!! But I never remember starving. "

Thanks for the memories
Cathy

"On Christmas Day, I assembled a learning toy for my 8 yr old grandson....it was solar slide show IN 3-D, Glasses and all. He was amazed that I knew how to make it all work...yah I remember!"
Will

"Thank you sooo much! The holidays are not so festive for me after my sister passed in 1999. Thank you so much for the memories. You have brightened my day & reminded me that Ihave had a wonderful life!"
Pam

"I remember going to the movies with 25 cents and getting to see the movie plus getting a popcorn and coke. WOW- what a difference today.
I also remember Sundays laying on our backs in the grass and watching the clouds roll by (naming each one as their shapes changed). That was such a beautiful time, but kids now-a-days have no idea the pleasure of doing just that. Or, playing in the fall leaves. Making a house with walls of leaves. Using stones and sticks for food and money. Today the stones and sticks are weapons.
All too often this day and age I hear "if only I could be little again!"
Mary

"This helped me on my school project."
Angela

"I really enjoyed going down memory lane. Everything, well most everything rang a bell and I went back in time as I was reading..ahhhh
I remember Christmas's in the 1950's.
The anticipation of Santa at the end of the Thanksgiving Day Parade kicked off the holiday season..not like now when the day after Halloween they have shelves stocked with Christmas items.
Years ago, it was exciting for a kid around the holidays. The females wore Christmas corsages..there were Santa's who gave out little wrapped toys..for free!

Then there was getting the Christmas tree and the smell just filled the room.The big colored lights and the tinsel that had weight to it and sparkled with the lights ...Family came to visit and EVERYONE got dressed up!

And kids were anxious to get home and get to sleep before Santa arrived in the middle of the night...The toys the next morning were the highlight of the day..some toys, as simple as they were, made you use your imagination..you could make a day go by just playing with the new doll house..having the little people come to life..building roads with the new set of blocks and driving little cars around the new roads you just built...a new doll with a carriage filled your hours of playing "house" ..it was a simple time back then, a little slower paced, people were nicer in general..you knew most of the owners of the mom and pop stores..they greeted you by name and really meant it when they said " have a nice day"...

I can look back and remember just having "fun"..if another kid called you a name, you answered with "sticks and stones break my bones but names will never hurt me" and you went on..you got over it! Halloween came along and ALL the kids from the area were all over the neighborhood..without their parents! And the only reason Mom told you not to eat your candy while you were out, was because you might eat too much at one time and get sick...Ahhh, the good old days for sure!"

I remember when school got out I'd hurry home to see The Little Rascals and Pinky Lee. Mom was always there--like most moms, she didn't work outside the home. We didn't have a car--so sometimes, as a special treat we'd walk downtown to meet Dad and walk him home from work. I really loved that.

Do you know what candy was on the birthday corsages? I think 16 was sugar cubes, but can't think of what the rest were.

I can remember getting my last doll (beautiful Sydney Jane) when I was 12 years old and in the sixth grade. Girls now are " grown up" by the sixth grade! I got my first pair of high heels (baby doll toes and cuban heels) when I was in the 8th grade and was so very proud and "mature".

Our small town of 1200 people had mostly dirt residential streets---very sandy at the edge and that's where we played. Just a big spoon for digging and an old pan to put the sand in and then dump it out and start over. Even though my family was among the more affluent in the area, we had one big Christmas present ( a doll with clothes or a bicycle) and a few smaller ones---that's all. What a life....I could walk anywhere in town whether it was light or dark. We often walked the 6 blocks downtown to the movie where we paid ten cents admittance and then walked home again. No need to worry about anything happening to us-- -if we fell and skinned a knee or anything else we just went to the nearest house and they took care of us, and called Mom to say they would bring us on home in a few minutes. Oh, what a life!!!

I remember growing up in 60s and 70's. There was a vacant lot where the kids would gather to ride bikes and play turnpike. Ice cream trucks that were driven by a guy on a bike with the cart upfront. Parents weren't afraid to let you play out till dark. Kids were actually spanked in the store, and you were not afraid of the child protection services coming after you. I sure do miss growing up then... all except for the spankings. HA!

Love the site - made me cry!
I remember playing 'King of the Hill' on a huge mound of dirt; and digging holes for hours for fun; Buster Crabbe as FLASH GORDON, Andy Devine and "Plunk your magic twanger, Froggy", Dr. Ben Casey and Dr. James Kildare, 'Duke..Duke..Duke of Earl', Chantilly, Buck Rogers (the original); the milk truck had blocks of ice for the milk, and the milkman would pick off hunks of it for all the kids; your first B&W TV, which was only on for a few hours a day; leaving your belongings outside overnight without worrying about them being stolen; day-of-the-week bras and panties; getting .15 or .20 and walking all the way up to the confectionery for a big dill pickle, which you ate on the way home; .10 packs of cupcakes, .10 Cokes, 10 for $1.00 day old bread; Lik-i-made; lying in the grass and looking at cloud shapes; looking for four-leaf clovers for hours; being truly happy to see family and relatives; being grateful to God for every breath He gives you, and just being content to be happy!

How about playing marbles? With steelies and cat eyes, etc. Shooting them with your thumb and index finger, digging a hole (can't remember why we dug the hole, but I'm sure it was for a good reason in the game). Playing softball with all of the neighborhood kids, the local drive-in restaurant. No air conditioners, sitting in front of the fan to stay cool in the summer; Mom's didn't work, but were home when you got home from school; we actually had chores to do and didn't complain about it. Friday night basketball games and football games. Going to the local drugstore soda fountain for a soda and fries and meeting all of your friends there. Walking 3 miles just to meet your boyfriend. Didn't have a car back then.

The big thing on the playground at school - the hot to the touch, or cold to the touch, jungle gym (monkey bars, whatever each area of the country called them).

Oh yes, what a great era! I loved reading every bit of it, and can relate to every single thing. :) Would you know where we could purchase inexpensive souveniors for a "50th" bd we are planning in 2 months? What we would like to find are cardboard or plastic statues of Elvis Presley and/or James Dean, etc.? We have looked on quite a few sites, and are unable to locate any statues. My contact email is: . (6-1-05)

Growing up in the 50's we didn't have the employment opportunities that today's generation has. You had to sell your time like mowing grass, shoveling snow, raking leaves, etc. The biggest fear was overcharging someone for your services.

Playing hide and seek with the whole neighborhood being fair territory, or even better, walking on stilts

Graduation from 8th grade - all friends & family came to see it.

Remember when you went to the Worlds Fair and your mother bought you a hat with a feather and your name on it and were amazed how everyone knew your name.

24 Jul 2011 23:33 #3 by The Viking
Part 3. A few more.......

Going to Marshall Field's with friends on Saturdays, to listen to the latest 45's - that we couldn't afford to buy. Opening the window in the 'listening booth' and dropping penny candy on the heads of passerbys.

Dating allowed only on Friday and Saturday nights - never school nights!

Taking the only telephone in the house in the closet so parents couldn't hear.

No friends in the house when parents were out and neighbors who 'squealed' on you if you broke that rule.

8th grade flirting that consisted of giggles and sideway glaces.

The gang going to the malt shop after school for a 10 cent coke and a shared plate of french fries.

Root beer stands.
Silly nicknames like stinky and pogo that no one seemed to mind.

Freshman girls being asked if they were 'nice' girls or 'good' girls.

Parents restricting how far you could drive and then checking the mileage when you got home.

Roller skating rinks when most of your time was spent flirting on the benches.

Dibs, padiddle, and 'you owe me a coke'.

Single strand pearl necklaces and wearing cardigan sweaters backwards.

Penny loafers with dimes instead of pennies so you could make a phone call if needed.

Photo booths with all your friends piled in trying to get in the picture.

Cross your heart, hope to die.

I remember Sundays the best! I'd meet my cousins; we'd go to church. Ma would give me TWO nickels to put in the church basket. I would put ONE in and save the other for the walk home, when we could stop at the candy store and buy a Musketeers Bar for 5 cents!!

I remember playing with my cousins in the basement of their home. We would build booby traps, and the "victim" would have to walk in the dark through the traps. We had a ball, although my aunt wasn't too fond of it. Going to Dairy Queen was a great treat. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day picnics were so much fun because all the family would be there, and the food was so wonderful. All my aunts, my mother, grandmother made everything "from scratch." My uncle had a hammock in his backyard- what a treat for a city girl like me!

I have searched for quite some time trying to find ANYTHING about TEENAGE DOWNBEAT. My brother and I were on their in early "59". I was barely 13, so didn't remember much on the details. Was so glad to find your site. I truely enjoyed your memorabilla and the walk down memory lane. I think you covered it all except the ISIS Theatre in Cowtown, and the Monday night wrestling at the Northside Collisium (my dad always went too.)
Thanks Again for the great feeling.
Sharon

Jingles and slogans, like "Pepsi Cola -- hit's the spot! 12 oz. bottle-- that's alot! Twice as much for a nickel, too; you'll say pepsi is the drink for you; nickel, nickel, nickel..."

Candy Birthday Corsages

I loved this, and wish we were back there now; and that my daughter and granddaughter could have known all of these things.

Thanks alot for your site. It has helped be greatly with home work on the 1950's, and it was a very pleasurable experience viewing your web page. Lucy

I remember May Day, and dancing around the Maypole. How about birthday punches? When you bought your new school shoes, you would get a free pencil case with a ruler and 2 pencils inside! Decorating your bike Red, White and Blue for the 4th of July. Hopscotch, shows we would make up in the backyard. Trips to the lake. There was an ice cream dairy near us that had a huge ice cream dish, called a Pig's Dinner. If you could finish the whole thing you got a pin that said 'I was a pig at Greenwood Dairies". Usually only the teenage boys could finish it.

One of our Saturday chores was scrubbing the marble steps outside our house. We had to do the neighbor's too. On Sundays when we went to church, my mother would get the hat boxes down from the shelf to pick one that matched our dress. You had to wear a hat to church. How about the May procession at church, when there was actually a 'May Queen' and her court.

Sticking pop tops to your shirt. Remove the cork liner, put the cap out side your shirt and the cork inside, and press together; paper kites with nylons for a tail; and just being a kid.

24 Jul 2011 23:59 #4 by The Viking
And here is a fun one from the 60's

http://the60sofficialsite.com/I_Remember_When.html

25 Jul 2011 00:03 #5 by The Viking
Always loved this song by the Statler Brothers. First time I have seen great pics with it!

http://oldfortyfives.com/DYRT.htm

25 Jul 2011 09:10 #6 by Sunshine Girl
Replied by Sunshine Girl on topic Do you Remember????

The Viking wrote: Always loved this song by the Statler Brothers. First time I have seen great pics with it!

http://oldfortyfives.com/DYRT.htm

I loved The Statler Brothers! I read many of the past things that really hit home. Crazy how you don't realize how different life is now since we were kids. I miss a lot of those things. Our kids will have their own "past" list too I guess. Thanks for the memories Viking. :heart:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds