285 Closed/ Serious MVA/ Now open

27 Jul 2011 12:50 #11 by ComputerBreath
285 from Fairplay to the top of Kenosha Pass is scary. Everytime I get on it to go to Denver or north or when I hit the top of Kenosha coming south, I say a prayer. There have been many times where I've made it home and within an hour or two, there are bad accidents where we just were. There have also been many times when someone is in a hurry and is "bunny-hopping" cars very dangerously...sometimes in no-passing zones. And then there are comments on news channels about people "going slow"... I always say it is better to get where you are going, even late versus getting there dead!

BTW: the news station said something about 285 going west...yes, it may turn and seem like it is going west or east...but as an odd numbered highway, it's "real" direction is North and South. What's up with this? Or am I the one confused?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Jul 2011 13:36 #12 by Grady

Southpark wrote: I can't speculate about this accident, but here's what happened to me last month at that same location. I was second in a line of about 15 cars heading south. The first car slowed down to make a left turn on to Lost Park Road. As she started to turn, I see a vehicle from about 10 cars back flying up in the left lane to pass everyone. It never occurred to them we were slowing down so someone could turn. All I could do was lay on my horn in the hopes that the turning car would look in their mirror to see who was honking at them. Thankfully, they saw the vehicle coming and stopped mid-turn and the vehicle flew by. The poor lady started to turn again and I look in my mirror and here comes another car flying up from the back of the pack passing everyone again not realizing that the first car is trying to make a left turn. Again I laid on my horn hoping she'll see the car flying up in the left lane. Thankfully an accident was avoided...that time. :angry:

Yep I've seen that happen.

27 Jul 2011 13:37 #13 by Mtn Gramma

ComputerBreath wrote: Wily...I'm wondering the same thing. I'm curious as to how this happened.

From Channel 7 news article comments:

Bobbi Kay:
This was my sister! She was not driving too slow nor too fast!! She was at a complete stop tryin to make a left hand turn, waiting for oncoming traffic , so she could turn, when the truck behind her never even slowed down!! Rearemded her and pushed her into on coming traffic!!!

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/28 ... etail.html

27 Jul 2011 13:45 #14 by chickaree
It makes me angry the way people fly along 285 without consideration for all of us who live along it. We need to enter and exit our driveways and access roads. It is not a freeway.

27 Jul 2011 13:50 #15 by Mtn Gramma
I don't think its a matter of not caring about the people who live along 285. Its a matter of not caring about ANYONE ..... except themselves.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds