Rangers Rescue Same Hiker Twice In One Month

26 Jul 2011 15:37 #1 by Wily Fox aka Angela
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/28 ... etail.html

might be time for Dean to find a new past time, below 10,000 feet

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Jul 2011 15:54 #2 by Martin Ent Inc
Take Away His Hiking Boots...

26 Jul 2011 19:27 #3 by Sunshine Girl
Contrary to what he might believe, he does NOT have nine lives. lol Seriously though, perhaps it's time for him to take a moment and think about not only the situation he is placing himself in (perhaps he needs more training, etc.), but also the lives of the rescuers.

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

26 Jul 2011 19:59 #4 by Wily Fox aka Angela

26 Jul 2011 20:58 - 26 Jul 2011 21:04 #5 by AlpineMike

Sunshine Girl wrote: Contrary to what he might believe, he does NOT have nine lives. lol Seriously though, perhaps it's time for him to take a moment and think about not only the situation he is placing himself in (perhaps he needs more training, etc.), but also the lives of the rescuers.

I couldn't agree with you more Sunshine! I find it interesting since Mr. Smith is 68 years old. Perhaps he has nothing to loose, yet he will place rescue efforts to stay alive.
I have seen a man well over 80 hiking Quandary Peak. I was amazed by his stamina. He was slow and a storm was quickly approaching. I had decided to tag along with him despite the storm. I learned he had climbed every Colorado 14er twice and had been a back-country Ranger for Denali National Park for over 30 years! I assume he knew what he was doing.

As for Mr. Smith, no telling what his background holds for mountaineering prior of recent rescues. :scared:

26 Jul 2011 21:03 #6 by Sunshine Girl

AlpineMike wrote:

Sunshine Girl wrote: Contrary to what he might believe, he does NOT have nine lives. lol Seriously though, perhaps it's time for him to take a moment and think about not only the situation he is placing himself in (perhaps he needs more training, etc.), but also the lives of the rescuers.

I couldn't agree with you more Sunshine! I find it interesting since Mr. Smith is 68 years old. Perhaps he has nothing to loose, yet he will place rescue efforts to stay alive.
I have seen a man well over 80 hiking Quandary Peak. I was amazed by his stamina. He was slow and a storm was quickly approaching. I had decided to tag along with him despite the storm. I learned he had climbed every Colorado 14er twice and had been a back-country Ranger for Denali National Park for over 30 years! I assume he knew what he was doing.

As for Mr. Smith, no telling what his background holds for mountaineering. :scared:

:like:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

26 Jul 2011 21:08 #7 by CC
I think they should charge him double for their time.

26 Jul 2011 21:18 #8 by AlpineMike

Becky wrote: I think they should charge him double for their time.

Unfortunately, situations like this will force SAR to charge for rescue efforts. Look at the article again.

Quote pasted from http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/28 ... etail.html

"We do not charge for rescues in Rocky Mountain National Park," said park spokeswoman Kyle Patterson. "Our rangers are in the profession to assist people in need of help."

Patterson did say the park might consider charging someone if the situation warranted it.

"If there was an egregious situation, we might consider charges," Patterson said. "We encourage people to use good judgment and not travel alone."
End Quotation.

I can only agree. Charge him and not everyone who desire the great outdoors!

26 Jul 2011 21:28 #9 by CC
It is frustrating to see these fine rescue folks risk their lives repeatedly for an individual who would appear to not care about the risky behavior he indulges in and how it effects others who stand ready to render assistance. Many of these people are dedicated volunteers who have families.
I think this situation warrants charging this man for their time and risk. Perhaps a monetary donation is something he might understand.

26 Jul 2011 22:17 #10 by Martin Ent Inc
Maybe he needs the attention.
And a little counseling.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds