Where to donate clothing and such??

23 Jun 2010 08:41 #11 by Wayne Harrison

Satchmo wrote: There's also a clothes and shoes only bin in Bailey catty corner from Cutthroat at the Chinese motel (restaurant).

I've always heard the expression as "kitty corner." Interesting, the variation.

Kitty-corner, which means "placed or situated diagonally," has a number of variants, including cater-corner, cata-cornered and catty-corner. It has its origin with the word cater. Dating back to the 16th century, cater, which comes from the French quatre (meaning four), was the name for the number four on a die. It is believed that the positioning of the four dots at the corners of a square is how cater came to mean "diagonally opposed."

Cater-corner first appeared in the American South in the 19th century. For reasons unknown, although possibly because cater sounds and looks similar to cat, the word changed to catty-corner or kitty-corner.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Jun 2010 11:23 #12 by Sunshine Girl

The Dude wrote: Thanks everyone!! I really wanted to donate to one of the local shops such as IMHS thrift store or the MRC... In all honesty I find it really annoying that I can only donate on certain days. I guess I will use one of the drop boxes that have randomly popped up over the past few weeks. Thanks again for all your help.

No matter where you decide to donate - thank you!

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds