Toyota Yaris

28 Jul 2011 11:59 #1 by daisypusher
Toyota Yaris was created by daisypusher
I am interested in getting everyone's opinion's about the Toyota Yaris. If you have/drive one. Why you would or would not buy one. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Jul 2011 13:29 #2 by V_A
Replied by V_A on topic Toyota Yaris
great for kids

not a lot of power, will it handle the hills? I have only drove one at sea level.

road noise in the car is loud

When I get one as a rental car I can't wait for the week to be over.

28 Jul 2011 13:38 #3 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic Toyota Yaris
Yaris is Japanese for poop burger.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

28 Jul 2011 13:40 #4 by daisypusher
Replied by daisypusher on topic Toyota Yaris
Thanks.

It seems the Honda Fit gets better reviews. Any comments on this one?

28 Jul 2011 13:53 #5 by V_A
Replied by V_A on topic Toyota Yaris
never drove the Honda Fit

28 Jul 2011 14:44 #6 by Martin Ent Inc
Replied by Martin Ent Inc on topic Toyota Yaris
Fit,, sorta like a coffin...

28 Jul 2011 15:20 #7 by daisypusher
Since the effort is for good gas mileage, are there any suggestions for a non-poop-non-coffin vehicle with good gas mileage? :sunshine:

28 Jul 2011 19:20 #8 by pineinthegrass
Replied by pineinthegrass on topic Toyota Yaris
Consumer Reports rates the Fit near the top of the subcompacts for both for the manual (Fit Sport MT, 33 MPG) and automatic (Fit Base AT, 30 MPG). The Yaris is rated more in the middle, but it looks like it costs about $2K less. They also like the Nissan Versa in both sedan and hatchback, but the mileage is a bit lower.

For a slightly bigger car, still with good mileage and not much more expensive, they like the Hyundai Elantra (auto, 29 MPG), Toyota Corolla (auto, 32 MPG), Kia Forte EX 2.0 (auto, 28 MPG), and Mazda 3 AT (auto, 28 MPG). For a manual they like Mazda 3 MT (30 MPG) and Toyota Corolla Base (32 MPG).

If you can live with a diesel, the Volkswagen Golf TDI is top rated and it gets 38 MPG.

Of course, you can spend some more and get the larger Toyota Prius with even better mileage. CR has always rated it highly and they reported on a 10 year old car saying it still performed well.

28 Jul 2011 20:12 #9 by daisypusher
Thank you for the review.

28 Jul 2011 20:47 #10 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic Toyota Yaris
My last rip to Silly Putty Valley scored me a Kia Soul, I went back to the rental desk and immediately insisted on a different car. I'm 6' 3" and 250 Lbs, I don't fit in compact cars, cattle class airline seats, or the hotel version of a twin bed. After being told that was the only car they had left I reluctantly went back to the car and found that not only was there plenty of room behind the wheel, this rental turned out to be a pretty zippy little econo-box! Not much room for extra stuff and it would be hard to get four Otis sized folk in to one of these cars but still not a bad car for short trips across town.

How would it perform at altitude? Would the grind going up an down the hills be too much for it? How about bad weather? Could this car hack it in the snow? I dunno.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds