Well Water slightly brownish?

05 Aug 2011 17:30 #1 by Wily Fox aka Angela
We changed the water in the spa today and the well water was coming out slightly brown. We assume it has something to do with all the rain, but not sure how it translates to brownish water. We have a 2 micron filter on the water, so we don't think any particulates are getting through, but what is causing the water to be brown and is it OK that it is?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Aug 2011 17:32 #2 by CC
Replied by CC on topic Well Water slightly brownish?
I suspect you are right about all the rain. Our well will routinely do that in the spring time with all the melt off......
Haven't noticed the same with my well with all the rain but i wouldn't be surprised.

05 Aug 2011 20:43 #3 by Something the Dog Said
Could be tannins from pine needles.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

05 Aug 2011 22:00 #4 by Lonewolf Field Services HVAC
Do you have an activated charcoal filter in your system? They will take out other impurities such as odor and taste, and possibly clear up the color as well.

05 Aug 2011 22:35 #5 by Wily Fox aka Angela
I don't think so, but I'll ask the hired help (hubby) and report in

05 Aug 2011 22:55 #6 by archer
My well water used to turn a light brownish every spring with the runoff.....annoying, but I would have it tested and it was fine. I had both a sediment filter and the Ultraviolet light for bacteria, but neither would take the color out of the water. Before the filters, the brown water was really gross, fill a bathtub, take one look, and decide on a shower where the color wasn't so obvious.

05 Aug 2011 22:58 #7 by Mtn Gramma

Wily Fox aka Angela wrote: We changed the water in the spa today ...

Hopefully not where your neighbors could watch and report you?

06 Aug 2011 19:36 #8 by Wily Fox aka Angela
HA! don't you get me started! :Censored

06 Aug 2011 20:00 #9 by Rockdoc
Your water color reflects the leached tannins from evergreen needles. In streams through ever green forests that is where the description black rivers comes from because of all the tannins in the water. They are dissolved, not particulate matter. Indeed abundant rain plays a huge role in all this.

06 Aug 2011 20:54 #10 by navycpo7
In the well business we call that surface water. It comes from all the rain we have been getting. It will clean up. It happens more in the spring than any time but it has been a wet summer.

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds