How "Positive" Thinking Sets You Up To Fail

08 Aug 2011 13:06 #1 by CinnamonGirl
How "Positive" Thinking Sets You Up To Fail was created by CinnamonGirl
http://www.fastcompany.com/1768515/how- ... up-to-fail

I wish I could make the universe deliver wonderful things to my doorstep just by imagining them. I can't--and neither can you, no matter what anyone tells you. There is not a single piece of hard evidence that "visualizing success," and doing nothing else, will do a damn thing for you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Aug 2011 13:29 #2 by cydl
An interesting and (IMO) accurate article. I used to work w/a woman who was into that "only think good things" mindset. I found her to be annoying as hell. tongue:

08 Aug 2011 13:48 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic How "Positive" Thinking Sets You Up To Fail

cydl wrote: An interesting and (IMO) accurate article. I used to work w/a woman who was into that "only think good things" mindset. I found her to be annoying as hell. tongue:

Me too just feels fake. Not always but you need some reality.

08 Aug 2011 13:50 #4 by Rockdoc
It is clear from the article that what represents negative and positive thoughts have overlap. I do not consider thinking "This is going to be more difficult than I thought. I'll have to work hard." as a negative thought as the author intimates. Rather it's a realistic recognition, and a positive in the sense that it only acknowledges the need to work hard or harder than expected. It does not say, hell there is no way I can do this. Instead it insinuates that it can be done, but it will require considerable effort. While wishful thoughts without putting anything into them may be a form of positive thinking for some as in the example the author uses I see little positive in that. It is merely looking for a handout. And if you only consider wishful thinking coupled with an expectation that it will happen then Yes, that is doomed for failure. Positive thinking in my mind has more to do with I'm going to make this happen. I can do this. Those are positive thoughts that also take ownership. I don't think any of those thought set you up for failure, quite the opposite. Thus the conclusion reached its a matter of how you wish to pigeon hole various thoughts and the limitations you place on positive thinking.

08 Aug 2011 14:39 #5 by cydl
Agreed. I think "realistic thinking" is a better way to put it. One has a goal they want to achieve. There are specific obstacles to be surmounted to achieve that goal. And one can analyze what needs to be done to surmount those specific obstacles. In some cases an obstacle may not be doable, no matter the amount of "positive thinking" (for example, there's no way that I'm going to run a 3 minute mile anytime soon - probably ever!). But to me that's not negative, that's assessing limitations and being realistic.

08 Aug 2011 14:44 #6 by Rockdoc

cydl wrote: Agreed. I think "realistic thinking" is a better way to put it. One has a goal they want to achieve. There are specific obstacles to be surmounted to achieve that goal. And one can analyze what needs to be done to surmount those specific obstacles. In some cases an obstacle may not be doable, no matter the amount of "positive thinking" (for example, there's no way that I'm going to run a 3 minute mile anytime soon - probably ever!). But to me that's not negative, that's assessing limitations and being realistic.

Absolutely, far better than fooling oneself with unrealistic possibilities or goals.

08 Aug 2011 14:46 #7 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic How "Positive" Thinking Sets You Up To Fail
I think that is a good way to put it.

08 Aug 2011 15:21 #8 by archer
We need a balance I think.......I have always believed that there is very little I cannot learn or do if I put my mind to it......I still recognize the fact that I have indeed failed at some things in my life, but never for lack of trying....I thrive on the difficult, the things people think I can't do, the impossible task that is really only impossible because the right solution hasn't been found yet and I'm willing to try.....and then there are those things that I will not even try to do because they are not worth the risk......no amount of positive thinking, or even realistic thinking can convince me to bungee jump........trusting my life to an elastic cord isn't my idea of prudent. Forget the 3 minutes mile......I won't even do the 10 minute mile.

08 Aug 2011 15:25 #9 by chickaree
My philosophy (trite as it is) has always been hope for the best but plan for the worst. The best of both worlds.

08 Aug 2011 19:56 - 08 Aug 2011 22:12 #10 by AlpineMike

chickaree wrote: My philosophy (trite as it is) has always been hope for the best but plan for the worst. The best of both worlds.

:yeahthat: There is nothing wrong with being prepared. I live by the "Boy Scout Motto" myself. Keeping a positive mental attitude can help with overall motivation and success who pursue any task. In my own experience, making light in a really dark situation can keep one focused on the work at hand.
I must admit, it is tough to make silly puns during a tight situation. Just make sure the "sensitive" ones do not catch wind of any offensive remark.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds