Smoke in Conifer and....

23 Jun 2010 19:03 #1 by LopingAlong
it's a permitted fire. I read it in the scanner forum. Permitted as in OK, light a fire today, sure, no problem.
You have got to be kidding me! WTH are they thinking? Really. Only thing that would make it better is if the wind were blowing. Idiots, that's my opinion. Both the permitted person and the permit giver.

Thanks for the rant.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Jun 2010 19:12 #2 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Smoke in Conifer and....
I agree. Would love to have a chimenea on the deck or fire pit but don't. I don't even like lighting my indoor woodstove sometimes in April/May when the snow is gone outside and the grass is brown.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

23 Jun 2010 19:17 #3 by Wayne Harrison
NPS said smoke from the Sand Dunes fire was expected along the Front Range, also.

23 Jun 2010 20:57 #4 by CC
Replied by CC on topic Smoke in Conifer and....
I am surprised that Jeffco doesn't have some kind of fire ban in place.

23 Jun 2010 21:16 #5 by LopingAlong
Like I said...."Idiots". I can't figure out why anyone would even Think about lighting a fire right now. Unless they have never lived through what it's like.

23 Jun 2010 22:46 #6 by RCCL
Replied by RCCL on topic Smoke in Conifer and....
Some people are perfectly safe and capable of having safe, responsible fires both in fire pits and elsewhere on their property.

That said, it's much like those who drive drunk, and say "Well, it's only two blocks" or "Hey, I can drive when buzzed!" It can be done safely, but ... should it?

If you're going to be one of "those people", I will not look down on you as long as you have the legal right to do so. If you burn my house down, however, expect more than the wrath of God on your hands... because I'm coming after you.

24 Jun 2010 08:06 #7 by CC
Replied by CC on topic Smoke in Conifer and....
Well said.
I have a fire pit in my yard. Whenever conditions are right and there is no ban, I use that fire pit and enjoy it a lot. I have a fully mitigated property. I mow my grass. (All 4 acres). I keep a water hose handy and I never leave my fire.
I agree. As long as you are doing it legally and safely...I am good to go. Burn your trash on a red flag day and it gets away from ya....Shame on ya. It ain't gonna be pretty!

24 Jun 2010 08:12 #8 by LopingAlong
Legal isn't always 'right'.

03 Jul 2010 03:52 #9 by RCCL
Replied by RCCL on topic Smoke in Conifer and....

LopingAlong wrote: Legal isn't always 'right'.

Just finally got back around to this thread.

I rewrote my post three times to explain why I thought you were wrong... and ended up erasing it each time because we're arguing the difference in opinion of morality that neither of us will ever agree on.

And so, the answer is to turn to the law, as it always has been. And when we do that, the law will support the person with the fire, as long as they are properly licensed and following proper procedures and safety precautions. That's really all there is to it.

I'm not lighting fireworks tomorrow (Happy Fourth of July!), because I realize the immense risk that it causes at this time of year with the weather we've had, but I'll defend vigorously another person's right to do so. I'll defend it right up until they act in a way that indicates irresponsibility, illegality, or infringes upon my rights and/or damages my property.

Once those things happen, I'll agree with you, and handle the problem.

03 Jul 2010 10:16 #10 by LopingAlong
You are right. The 'right' to light the fire is there in the law.

I still say they're idiots to even think of doing so now. Why can't they wait until there is snow on the ground? It is insane to think that all people with the "right" to light their slash on fire because they hold a piece of paper that says they can are capable of handling that same fire when it begins to burn out of control even a tiny bit. Not even the Forest Service can control the fires they set and yet, it's their right to do so and yes, the law is on their side.

People's "Right" to burn their slash can end up with horrific ramifications that involve each and every one of us to some degree and that doesn't even consider the animals that most likely will perish when that fire is consuming the acreage that is their home. And yes, the law will back them on the setting part, but not on the letting it get away from them part. It is that part where the fire gets away from them that worries me. It is not right that their 'right' to set the fire can end up with me losing my home, my pets, my belongings and perhaps my life. No matter what the law says about them lighting it in the first place.

But you are correct in what the law says. The Law doesn't actually live up here and won't actually lose its home and surrounding environment when it is followed.

It's just plain stupid to think that burning anything up here in the summer is ok. Smart is waiting to burn when there is snow on the ground and the threat of burning the entire mountian to the ground is much diminished. That is my opinion.

Thank you for not lighting firewoks tomorrow. I haven't checked, but usually it's illegal up here anyway. Common sense says don't do it, but you'll be surprised at how many you hear and see.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds