Smoke in Conifer and....

03 Jul 2010 10:28 #11 by CC
Replied by CC on topic Smoke in Conifer and....
Loping
I don't think that it is right to punish an entire population for the stupidity of a few.
People have been lighting campfires in the yards for years and years.
I probably light my fire pit 10-15 times in a summer when there is no fire ban.
I have cleared my property. I have a flag stoned designated area. I mow my grass and I take every reasonable precaution.
Hey...I lived through those 7 fires to but fear of that will not control my life.
One of the most absolute favorite past times of my grandchildren is to come to Jammaws and spend the night and sit out by the fire and tell ghost stories.
I want to live and create wonderful memories with my family. I don't want them to live in fear every time they come to Bailey.
People have to use common sense and behave responsibly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Jul 2010 11:00 #12 by LopingAlong
Becky, I am not saying that all people should not light their fire pit! Especially if there is not a dry and crackly condition. I am saying that on the day this thread was started, the conditions were not good for any fire. Any fire at all. I'm saying that just because you get a paper that gives you permission to burn doesn't mean it's smart.

Obviously, I am the only one who feels this way, so skip it. Carry on. Burn away with your permit in hand and the law behind you. I'll come get the horses and other animals that need evacuation when and if that time comes that we need to. I'm not directing this at you, Becky, but to eveyone in general. Common sense is what is needed and to me, that is what is most lacking. Fires will happen and we'll deal with them when they do.

I was only trying to say that the law doesn't make all the best decisions and having the law on one's side isn't always the morally right thing. Mostly, I was trying to say that burning slash in summer is stupid, and when it gets out of control (some people have never burned slash, some are from Iowa or other humid states where fire is not an issue, some are intelligent enough to even light the thing under overhanging branches)--so when it gets out of control, their right and the law that allowed them to light the thing in the first place infringes on my rights.

Thought, common sense and planning are paramount. That was my point. I said nothing about BBQ's and/or fire pits that are watched. Like I said, skip it. I'm not going to change anyone's outlook or enlighten anyone so Let's just go different subjects and let this one die a happy peaceful death. :)

03 Jul 2010 11:12 #13 by CC
I understand Loping and I don't take it personally.
I am just suggesting that more people will act responsibly than not.
If I light my fire pit tonight....I do so after several days of a fairly decent rain.
I call my permit in.
I make sure I have plenty of water hose and I soak the ground around the pit pretty well. If....there is no wind and I know I can dedicate my undivided attention. to the fire, I will light it. If the wind starts up or I need to be away from the fire or don't have someone who can watch it (not my grandkids lol ) I put it out.It is just that simple.

Heck...if the stars all line up, we may even crank it up at the picnic.
Folks are only allowed to burn a very small fire in their yards. I use my fire pit to burn up all of those really small sticks that are so dangerous on the ground as fuel.
LOL I talked to a realtor the other day who lives in your neighborhood....he was actually pretty thrilled to live on the good side of the Ranchos.
We are a Firewise Community.
http://www.firewise.org/usa/index.htm
It is a very special distinction that is very tough to come by. Just know that if a fire come from this direction....you will be much safer.

03 Jul 2010 11:53 #14 by ShilohLady
Replied by ShilohLady on topic Smoke in Conifer and....
Also, there is a HUGE difference between having a (small) campfire in a designated fire pit and burning slash. I think that the rules are different for the two scenarios as well.

03 Jul 2010 13:55 #15 by CC
Yes they are

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds