Perseids Meteor Shower

09 Aug 2011 21:24 #1 by CC
Perseids Meteor Shower was created by CC
2011 Meteor Showers

The next meteor shower is the Perseids on the night of August 13.

Name Date of Peak Moon
Quadrantids night of January 3 New
Lyrids night of April 21 Rises after midnight
Eta Aquarids night of May 5 Sets in early evening
Perseids night of August 13 Full
Draconids night of October 8 Nearly full
Orionids night of October 21 Rises after midnight
Leonids night of November 17 Rises around midnight
Geminids night of December 13 Just past full

http://stardate.org/nightsky/meteors

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Aug 2011 21:31 #2 by Martin Ent Inc
Full moon, how we gonna see much?

09 Aug 2011 21:34 #3 by otisptoadwater

Martin Ent Inc wrote: Full moon, how we gonna see much?

Dang it, stole my thunder... Maybe a few chances to see a few meteors out to the east and overhead as the moon sets? I was originally gonna post that I saw the sky falling and the end of days was near but that old saw doesn't hold any water.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

09 Aug 2011 21:36 #4 by Martin Ent Inc
I think it's just away for them to say Hey the meteor shower is tonite,,, but the moon is full so better luck next time we think it's coming...

I do see alot of them even when they don't announce an event.

09 Aug 2011 21:43 #5 by otisptoadwater
I try to get outside when I am home during the new moon, it's just dark enough that you can see satellites, more stars, and the occasional meteor. It can make for a long work day but it's almost always worth the time it takes to see the sights.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

09 Aug 2011 21:50 #6 by Martin Ent Inc
Me and the Mighty Dogs go out on the deck I look for shooting stars,,, they look for my bears.

09 Aug 2011 22:00 #7 by otisptoadwater
At the tender canine age of eight the Wundermutt will follow me out on to the deck because that is where I am but he can't stay awake for the rest. Unless I have my shotgun with me and we have gone through the pre-bird hunting midnight breakfast (steak, eggs, tatters and little black coffee for me and him) he will sleep. The occasional beast (mostly mini-beasts) in the bushes will rouse him and then it's on; me trying to get him back in the house and him trying to kill whatever it is that is making the noises.

09 Aug 2011 22:13 #8 by Wayne Harrison
There's also supposed to be the possibility of seeing the Northern Lights tonight and next few days from our latitude.

10 Aug 2011 08:43 #9 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic Perseids Meteor Shower
Will the northern lights be after midnight, or before dawn?

10 Aug 2011 10:46 #10 by Wayne Harrison
They said after midnight but I noticed the moon is too bright right now.

Time to create page: 0.273 seconds