Lace Unraveled aka YO YO YO

23 Jun 2010 21:28 #1 by KnitKnook

Lace knitting is one of the hottest new knitting revivals but let’s face it, if you dive into a lace pattern unprepared, it can flat out scare the pants right off of you. For example:
K2tog
S2KP2
SSK
Yo
Yo Yo
Yo Yo Yo

Huh?

The good news is, if you can knit and purl you can knit lace. The most basic or minimal definition of lace is that it’s a technique that creates intentional holes by increasing stitches using a Yarn Over with a corresponding decrease, the result being an open yet stable fabric that’s just plain beautiful. While I could write a book on the topic and all its variations (and that’s why there are so many great books out there), here are some basics that should take the edge off and show that anyone can do this.

MYTH #1: ALL LACE IS KNITTED WITH YARN THAT’S SMALLER THAN DENTAL FLOSS ON NEEDLES THE SIZE OF TOOTHPICKS.

BUSTED: Lace is all about the pattern, so yarn can be anything from gossamer laceweight to super chunky wool. Needles used are simply appropriate to the yarn, so anything from size 000 that seem thinner than wire up to size 15 needles that are like knitting with Lincoln Logs. Start with a yarn you absolutely love, find a pattern that works with it, and you’re bound to be thrilled with the result.

MYTH #2: LACE KNITTING IS MOSTLY DOILIES KNITTED BY 92 YEAR OLD GRANDMAS.

BUSTED: You might want to sit down for this. Some of most well known and popular lace knitters are – gasp! – men. Yup. Franklin Habit. Steven Ambrose. Jared Flood. Robert Powell. They knit lace. They design lace. Some of them even write about lace. (And Franklin Habit has bicep muscles the size of a Mack truck, so maybe lace is a good workout?) To further bust the “old lady” myth, other well known knitters include Julia Roberts, David Arquette, Martha Stewart (yeah, no surprise there), Felicity Huffman, Kristin Davis, Russell Crowe, Paulina Porizkova, Dakota Fanning, and Tracey Ullman. Now, I don’t know for sure that any of them knit lace, but I don’t know for sure that any of them don’t.

YarnOvers 101:

Yarn Overs (yo) are actually very simple, the trick is to be aware of what kind of stitch is before and after.

Between 2 knit stitches: Bring the yarn to the front as if to purl, take the yarn OVER the right needle to the back, knit the next stitch.

Between 2 purl stitches: Yarn is already in front, take it OVER the right needle to the back, bring it to the front again as if to purl, purl the next stitch.

After a knit stitch, before a purl: Bring the yarn to the front as if to purl, take the yarn OVER the right needle to the back, bring it to the front again as if to purl, purl the next stitch.

After a purl stitch, before a knit: Yarn is already in front, take it OVER the right needle to the back, knit the next stitch.

Great Books for Reference:

We’d love to see you in the shop and have some great lace classes available, but I also highly recommend adding a lace book or two to your reference collection. Here are a few of my favorites:

A Gathering of Lace by Meg Swansen

Victorian Lace Today by Jane Sowerby and Alexis Xenakis

Lace Style: Traditional to Innovative by Pam Allen and Ann Budd

Knitted Lace of Estonia: Techniques, Patterns and Traditions by Nancy Bush

Gossamer Webs: The History and Techniques of Orenburg Lace Shawls by Galena Khmeleva and Carol R. Noble

THURSDAY, JUNE 24, IS WINE AND CHEESE NIGHT AT THE KNIT KNOOK!
Bring a bottle of wine and your current project and join us from 6 – 8pm for knitting, crocheting, conversation, wine and cheese – and get 20% off any yarn purchase!

Next week: a free pattern and our new Secret Word discount program!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Diane Edwards is the owner of The Knit Knook, a yarn and coffee shop located in the King Sooper’s shopping center in Aspen Park. She taught herself to knit at the age of 10, to crochet at the age of 15, and her love of fiber arts has continued to grow. She loves teaching new people how to knit and teaching experienced knitters new techniques.

The Knit Knook opened in 2007 and carries a large and varied selection of yarns and supplies. Classes are available for all levels and interests. Summer hours are Tuesdays & Thursdays 10am – 8pm, Wednesdays & Fridays 10am – 5pm, Saturdays 10am – 4pm. Closed Sundays and Mondays. Call Diane with any questions at 303.838.2118 or stop by for a cappuccino and a visit.

Knit Knook LLC, 10903 US Hwy 285, Suite E202, Conifer, CO 80433
303-838-2118
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.knitknook.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Jun 2010 08:18 #2 by Kas
Replied by Kas on topic Lace Unraveled aka YO YO YO
By Golly, that YO description actually made sense! Even to me and we all know what a challenge I can be. :VeryScared: Time to dig out the needles again.

24 Jun 2010 09:24 #3 by RivendaleFarms
Yo Yo Yo, Kas, Go, Go, Go!

rofllol rofllol rofllol rofllol

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

24 Jun 2010 20:59 #4 by FernForestFarm
I love that we can rap and knit @ the same time!
KAS, make sure they're DPNs, 'k?
:lol:

24 Jun 2010 21:04 #5 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Lace Unraveled aka YO YO YO
That is beautiful. I have to learn to KNIT. Crochet can be limiting.

24 Jun 2010 21:55 #6 by wildiris

CinnamonGirl wrote: That is beautiful. I have to learn to KNIT. Crochet can be limiting.

I agree, that's why I don't crochet. I used to crochet because I thought it was faster to make something but it can be limiting, so I just knit (and spin) now. I am going to start a lace project here soon. I bought the yarn some time ago and am ready to get started on it!

28 Jun 2010 16:23 #7 by RivendaleFarms
I found crochet to be harder than knitting, the afghan I tried came out a very odd shape that in no way resembled a rectangle.

28 Jun 2010 17:50 #8 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Lace Unraveled aka YO YO YO
I can crochet but I have not picked up on how to knit. I cast on then I just have not gotten a stitch to stay on yet. Crochet, I can do in my sleep. It seems like you can do only one or the other.

29 Jun 2010 06:22 #9 by RivendaleFarms
All the women in my family (except me) could do both, although each definitely had a favorite. For me learning to knit took a lot of practice, and swearing, and practice, and swearing, and practice....you see the trend.

06 Jul 2010 08:50 #10 by evergreenchic
Crocheters and Knitters can live in harmony and many do both. Diane does, Debbie Stoller (Stitch 'N Bitch series author) - and so can you. Knit Knook offers many classes, even for beginners, and Diane is extremely helpful. If you haven't been by the stop, stop by, grab a coffee and have a chat. I am always there on Thursday evenings and I would be happy to help or support any new knitters :)

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds