Chipmunk vs. Ground Squirrel

01 Sep 2011 21:54 #1 by pineinthegrass
Had some guests from the east coast, and the question came of what is the difference between a chipmunk and ground squirrel (if any) since one or the other is running all over the place here.

I searched the web and saw some descriptions, but couldn't find a side-by-side photo. So I went outside today and what do you think I saw (a bit blurry with full zoom)...

So if the question ever comes up for you and you're not sure, the chipmunk is on the left. The most obvious difference is the chipmunk has stripes going from his back to his face, where the ground squirrel just has stripes on the back. The chipmunk is also smaller, and generally runs with his tail up. Plus he has pouches in his cheeks to store food, where the ground squirrel doesn't.

Hope that helps! lol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Sep 2011 23:16 #2 by pacamom
Sp what's bigger than a ground squirrel and has no stripes?

01 Sep 2011 23:28 #3 by Blazer Bob

pacamom wrote: Sp what's bigger than a ground squirrel and has no stripes?

An elephant. Do I get a prize?

01 Sep 2011 23:37 #4 by ScienceChic
I was really hoping for a video...WWE-style...feeling letdown here PITG! :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

02 Sep 2011 00:33 #5 by Local_Historian
pacamom - prairie dogs. Yes, we do indeed have some up here. There's a trio who loves to play in the road near the Bailey library.

02 Sep 2011 07:49 #6 by pacamom
(The ground squirrel up there at the top of this thread is a golden mantled ground squirrel. As opposed to a 13 line ground sq. :wink: )

I think what I have in addition to the two in the photo are Richardson's ground squirrel. Bigger than the other two but not as big as a prairie dog. And it doesn't have the big belly of a prairie dog.

I also have one of these that visits the pond every day.

02 Sep 2011 08:51 #7 by pineinthegrass

Science Chic wrote: I was really hoping for a video...WWE-style...feeling letdown here PITG! :)

Picky, picky...

Hey, that photo is a 285bound exclusive. As I mentioned, I searched the web to find a photo of two of them side-by-side and couldn't find one other than two dead ones.

We should copyright that photo. It's probably worth something. :wink:

BTW, the secret is to crazy glue their little feet to the rock...

02 Sep 2011 09:45 #8 by ScienceChic

pineinthegrass wrote:

Science Chic wrote: I was really hoping for a video...WWE-style...feeling letdown here PITG! :)

Picky, picky... :biggrin:

Hey, that photo is a 285bound exclusive. :like:

We should copyright that photo. It's probably worth something. :wink: Uh huh

BTW, the secret is to crazy glue their little feet to the rock... :VeryScared: :can't hear
File Attachment:

lol

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

02 Sep 2011 10:53 #9 by 2wlady
Replied by 2wlady on topic Chipmunk vs. Ground Squirrel
Isn't the black one an Ebert squirrel? (this without bothering to search)

02 Sep 2011 11:44 #10 by Mtn Gramma
It's called an Abert's squirrel.

Time to create page: 0.404 seconds