Places visited, which was your favorite?

20 Sep 2011 22:58 - 04 Jun 2013 20:01 #1 by pacamom
Excluding Colorado, of all the places you have visited, vacationed, passed through...what was your favorite and why?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Sep 2011 23:38 #2 by Wayne Harrison
You forgot to mention the hoards of mosquitoes.

For me? Paris. So much culture. So much to see. So much history. A very different way of life from anything I've experienced in the United States.

In the United States, I would say San Francisco for the same reasons. And it's close to Napa and Sonoma!

20 Sep 2011 23:47 #3 by archer
The Yukon.....I thought when I moved out west I had seen all the wide open spaces there were to see, but nothing prepared me for a place where you can drive for hours, days even, and never see another soul. 35,000 people live in the Yukon, and 25,000 of them are in Whitehorse, the only real city. I was in awe for almost a month with the scenery, the remote little "towns", some that had only 2 or 3 people. And some of the nicest, friendliest and welcoming people I have ever met while traveling. Amazing place.

21 Sep 2011 00:02 #4 by Rockdoc
Canning Basin western Australia. Nature unaltered by man. You can be hundreds of miles from civilization of any kind. The natural beauty is breathtaking. Makes you realize very quickly how we destroy the beauty of nature. Also enjoyed the Dolomites of Northern Italy and Southern Austria. Just enough of nature left and breath taking mountains. Maldives for their fantastic underwater world and remoteness.

21 Sep 2011 07:29 - 04 Jun 2013 20:01 #5 by pacamom
Wayne (or whatever your name is today) I guess I went at the right time, no mosquitos, no black flies.

21 Sep 2011 08:51 #6 by ComputerBreath
Visited:
Minnesota (Elizabeth/Fergus Falls area)...drove through Nebraska & Iowa to get there and back through South Dakota (Mt. Rushmore was awesome) and Wyoming
Wyoming (Casper)
Wichita, Kansas (coming back we stopped in Dodge City...interesting place)
Memphis, Tennessee (Graceland no so much a big deal...crowded and ostentatious)
Lake Sardis in Mississippi
Dyersburg, Kentucky
Paducah, Kentucky (and Metropolis, Illinois too)
Missouri (most of the bootheel--there's a restaurant in Caruthersville that throws rolls, Cape Girardeau, and St. Louis)
Arkansas' northern area...loved the Pocahontas area
Oregon
Western Washington
Boise Idaho
Quartzsite Arizona (desolate)
Lubbock Texas

A few places in Turkey when I was stationed there
Florence (Firenze) Italy
Rome Italy
Several more places in Italy
A week at Landstuhl in Germany

My favorite, hands down was Firenze...loved the architecture, the food, the Italians...what a beautiful city.

21 Sep 2011 09:53 #7 by FredHayek

archer wrote: The Yukon.....I thought when I moved out west I had seen all the wide open spaces there were to see, but nothing prepared me for a place where you can drive for hours, days even, and never see another soul. 35,000 people live in the Yukon, and 25,000 of them are in Whitehorse, the only real city. I was in awe for almost a month with the scenery, the remote little "towns", some that had only 2 or 3 people. And some of the nicest, friendliest and welcoming people I have ever met while traveling. Amazing place.

The Yukon is amazing! I was fishing on a lake 10 times the size of Dillon and I had it all to myself.

I really liked the Spanish enclave of Melilla, an ancient town on the coast of north Africa. A mix of Spanish, Arabs, and Jews who somehow get together very well. Recommend the Casbah.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

21 Sep 2011 09:55 #8 by Blazer Bob
The Black Hills of South Dakota, it soothed my soul.

21 Sep 2011 12:09 #9 by Mtn Gramma

pacamom wrote: Excluding Colorado, of all the places you have visited, vacationed, passed through...what was your favorite and why?

Mine would have to be Quetico Prov. Park in Canada. This park borders the Boundary Waters of northern MN. This is one of the places that I went back to several times. Natural beauty, lakes, rivers, streams, wildlife, hard work and total solitude.

Loons?

21 Sep 2011 14:06 #10 by HEARTLESS
:lol:
Mtn Gramma, are you trying to get this bumped to the Ring?
Just kidding.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds