TV decisions - Dish, Direct, or antenna and converter box?

23 Sep 2011 22:32 #1 by Local_Historian
After my second piece of equipment from Direct TV has died in two and a half weeks, after their failure to send me my bill and failure to credit me for the time between the death of the last box and th arrival of this faulty box, I'm thinking of getting rid of them.

So, which is better? One time commitment to an antenna and a converter box, or Dish Network?

For those just using an antenna, and who live near me (near Woodside), what channels can you get of the local kind? How many? How is general reception?

Dish has pissed me off before, and now they actually offer prices on their website rather than insist I give them my SSN just to get a quote, so how is THAT service up here?

I've never really had an issue with Direct TV before, but their customer service has gone downhill fast, and the equipment sucks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Sep 2011 22:34 #2 by Mtn Gramma
We've had Dish for years and are very happy with them.

24 Sep 2011 05:05 #3 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic TV decisions - Dish, Direct, or antenna and converter box?
Threaten to leave them, act serious and you'll get all new equipment for free, and a bunch of credits off your bill. I have everything, my bill runs around $227/month. There's not a channel I don't get

24 Sep 2011 07:08 #4 by CC
I have had both and have a definite preference to Dish.
The idea of a converter box and antenna is more appealing all the time as my one beef with Dish is the overseas call center I get when I call with a simple problem. I am not sure how many channels you get with a converter box but if TV isn't a high priority the box would be a great choice. Just the initial cost of purchasing the equipment and then free.
You would pay for that box and antenna in less than 6 months going with Dish.
By the way....I had the same problem with Directv

24 Sep 2011 09:18 #5 by Wayne Harrison
The digital antenna and converter box will only work if you have a decent digital signal from Lookout Mountain, which most people don't here (unless you're on the east side of some mountain). A digital signal is much harder to pick up than the old analog signal.

24 Sep 2011 13:05 #6 by JMC
Dish for me , not perfect but better than Direct, I need lots of channels so an antenna won't work.

24 Sep 2011 13:45 #7 by HappyCamper
We have had both right now we are with Dish.

Two weeks ago we called to see if they would offer us any specials as we are not under contract and have been having issues with one of the recievers.

They took 20.00 off our monthly price and a tech came out with a new reciever he left us two new remotes also. He also set up the box thing so our downloads come through the internet now instead of through the phone line.

We do not have everything but we do have all the movie channels, HD and such.

Except the news and DVRing a few of the network shows we rarely watch local TV.

Direct has some new stuff and the NFL ticket but really would hate to have to sign another contract unless Dish starts giving us issues. It is amazing what you can get for free when you have no contract and you tell them if you don't fix it I'm leaving.

The tech that came out to the house was great and we have his cell number so we can call him if we have issues. He came out on Sunday to do all the work and he called us Monday to make sure everything was still fine. I got another call from him a week later just to check again and make sure all was still good.

24 Sep 2011 17:28 #8 by Local_Historian
I've been doing some comparing -For mainly the same channels, it's cheaper to go with Dish. So we may be changing up here in a few weeks. But I think I'll call Direct and tell them I'm leaving and see what incentives they offer for me to stay. New equipment and a reduced rate would be a good start.

Wayne - thanks for that info - that helps make the decision.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds