There's Zombies in my Kitchen!

26 Sep 2011 02:25 #1 by Local_Historian
See? :VeryScared: tongue: lol

I'm making zombie and human survivor playsets - because I know enough odd people that as soon as I get them on Etsy, they'll buy them.

I may need to go get more peg people.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Sep 2011 02:54 #2 by Rockdoc
Excuse my ignorance, but I just don't get this whole attention to zombies or even know who all is portrayed by them. Enlightenment please.

26 Sep 2011 09:09 #3 by ScienceChic
LH, make sure you make some that look like VL and Viking - perfect zombies right there for ya!! rofllol

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

26 Sep 2011 10:29 #4 by Local_Historian
Philosophically speaking, I think the focus on zombies as an end to society is a way for people to deflect their fears from the very real and very bad things that could potentially happen. So zombies have become an outlet- zombie movies, tv shows, books, shirts, toys, crawls, university games, etc.

Max Brooks wrote a book called World War Z, supposedly the parts of a government report that got left out of the official document after the zombie plague began. Even if you don't find zombie fiction amusing. it is a rather telling read; it picks up where sci fi sometimes leaves off in making social commentary about the state of our world. Sadly, they are making it into a movie and in doing so will mess it up badly.

Just as in the past, we personify our fears and make them into creatures that may or may not exist, now or ever. During the plague, fears of devils and demons and other supernatural creatures was at an all time high. In between, we had great fears that somehow our dead were not really dead (which in some cases were true - limited medical knowledge got people in comas buried sometimes - and we took precautions to make sure they were dead. During WWII, magazines with horror stories in them were big sellers. During the Vietnam war, very cheesy vampire movies were the thing - made the careers of people like Christopher Lee. In the past 10 years, zombies, vampires, werewolves have all been humanized and even presented as a prefered state of being, which is very telling about the state of our society. After all, supernatural beings don't tend to have human worries - paying the bills, getting a job, etc.

If our society were to fall to a zombie apocolypse, it is suddenly a great equalizer, and is especially put out in the movies that even the rich in an exclusive enclave are not safe if the zombies develop an intelligence.

TV shows like Falling Skies (aliens take over our planet and the surviving humans try to survive) and The Walking Dead (zombies) are so popular, because you cannot get more equal than everyone running and fighting for their lives, and where money is just a convenient fire starter. And who are the heroes? Working class joes - in Falling Skies, a college professor is the main character and main hero - not the standard hero. In The Walking Dead, a small town sheriff is the main character. Both are surrounded by average people, all doing their part to keep and create a new community of survivors.

Our society lacks that. It doesn't matter how we get to zombies - disease, bioterrorism, comet coming too close to earth, etc - we get them and it is a TANGIBLE enemy to fight.

I found this site - lists a lot of the zombie flicks out there - http://www.zombiemovielist.com/list-of- ... movies.htm - even the stupid, insipid and silly ones. Blame George Romero and his film school antics - he's the one who took zombies from a mind controlled person, a voodoun deal and made it the newest supernatural thing.

Some people seriously, honestly believe that zombies can happen and they fear it greatly.

Non philosophically - it's fun, it's funny, some of the best costuming I've ever seen had been at a zombie crawl, it's a long running fad and I'll happily make my share of the profits from it.

In the meantime, I would love to get this shirt - http://www.etsy.com/listing/73401106/ke ... e?ref=sc_2 because it makes fun of an all too popular and lame meme on Etsy.

26 Sep 2011 10:39 #5 by Local_Historian
I failed to say - by personifying supernatural beings, we are also taking some of the horror of the situation and changing it into a more easily dealt with form. It's easier on the psyche to blame a demon for stealing your loved ones life in a plague than to admit it is a situation you just cannot control.

It has also been used to make a horrible situation so bad that it becomes unreal - dead nazi soldiers coming back to life, dead camp victims coming back and killing their nazi tormenters - more equalizing.

Horror also is actually physically good for us - whether we get it form a scary movie, a scary book, a ride on a rollercoaster, or a real life bad situation. Scientific research has shown that fear actually arouses our bodies, helps keep them fit, and that we need doses of it. (I cannot find the articles at the moment)

As to whom it personifies? It could personify any of us- none of us is immune or safe from zombies, or from becoming one. Yet another equalizer.

26 Sep 2011 11:00 #6 by Rockdoc
Actually, we often experience that kick when we experience fear. As a kid walking around at night and hearing a noise not only created fear, but ignited adrenaline. On its charge, I could run like the wind. lol Today, one might experience that at night if worried about a prowling black bear you can not see, but fear he may be out there while you plow your way through the dark.

Zombies are one of the many characters in Piers Anthonly's books. His agents are indeed hard to put down. Personally, reality is sobering enough to get me moving and to take stock. Glad you are profiting from the current fad. Thanks to for the enlightenment.

26 Sep 2011 11:00 #7 by Rockdoc
Actually, we often experience that kick when we experience fear. As a kid walking around at night and hearing a noise not only created fear, but ignited adrenaline. On its charge, I could run like the wind. lol Today, one might experience that at night if worried about a prowling black bear you can not see, but fear he may be out there while you plow your way through the dark.

Zombies are one of the many characters in Piers Anthonly's books. His agents are indeed hard to put down. Personally, reality is sobering enough to get me moving and to take stock. Glad you are profiting from the current fad. Thanks to for the enlightenment.

26 Sep 2011 12:57 #8 by Grady
Deadliest warriors solved the age old question Vampires or Zombies. Vampires won
Deadliest Warriors

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds