Celebs & Politicians Say the Darnedest Things-About Science

12 Oct 2011 13:27 #1 by ScienceChic
rofllol rofllol rofllol

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... A_facebook
Famous for Being Fatuous: Celebs and Pols Say the Darnedest Things—Especially about Science
If the recent election season has taught us anything, it's that fame does not equal brains, at least when it comes to science
By Rose Eveleth | October 12, 2011
We decided to take a look back at some of the biggest science goofs made by public figures in the past 10 years. Some of these were submitted by Scientific American​ readers, who wrote in with their favorites. Others came from Sense about Science's yearly report on celebrity science gaffes. The rest came from simply searching the Internet, and, let's just say, they weren't hard to find. Did your favorite make this list?

Rep. Hank Johnson, (D–Ga.), explaining why he was concerned for the U.S. territory of Guam if a new Marine contingent was sent to the island:
"My fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize."—March 25, 2010

Fox News host Bill O'Reilly recently speaking with David Silverman, president of American Atheists:
"I'll tell you why [religion is] not a scam, in my opinion," he told Silverman. "Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that. You can't explain why the tide goes in."—January 4th 2011

To the dismay of metallurgists all over the world, Rosie O'Donnell claimed that the 9/11 attacks had to have been an inside job, because heat simply cannot melt metal.
"I do believe that it's the first time in history that fire has ever melted steel."—March 29, 2007

Actually, there was a recent article describing a new hypothesis as to how the towers fell, and it involved the melted aluminum from the aircraft and water from the sprinklers causing explosions that crippled the integrity of the building floor, causing the floors above to collapse, creating a chain reaction all the way down.

Last but not least, cage fighter Alex Reid has some interesting ideas about sex and sports

this one made me laugh out loud - go to the article and check it out!

Do you have any to add? :biggrin:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Oct 2011 20:42 #2 by Residenttroll returns

“To solve the new century’s mounting social and environmental problems, people of color activist and white activists need to be able to join forces. But all too often, the unconscious racism of white activists stands in the way of any effective, worthwhile collaboration. The Challenging White Supremacy Workshop is the most powerful tool that I have seen for removing the barriers to true partnerships between people of color and white folks. If the CWS trainings were mandatory for all white activists, the progressive movement in the United States would be unstoppable.” Man, the racist undertones of everything this guy says is amazing. Van Jones,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds