CANCELED! OPPOSE this inhumane event at Jeffco Fairgrounds!

06 Aug 2010 08:53 - 06 Aug 2010 15:49 #1 by Wily Fox aka Angela
It's also very gruesome to see in person as the steers legs break or their tails are de-gloved. The story has made 31 and maybe 7 - just trying to get more word out and gain more support real quick. Trying to stop the upcoming event in this Sundays rodeo.

American Humane Opposes Tail-Grabbing Rodeo To Be Held In Jefferson County, Colo.
Seeking legal means to stop inhumane event
Denver, CO (August 5, 2010)

http://www.americanhumane.org/about-us/ ... rodeo.html

Colorado-based American Humane Association, the nation’s voice for the protection of children and animals, said today that it is aggressively pursuing legal action to halt a scheduled rodeo event on Sunday, Aug. 8 in Jefferson County, in which bulls are cruelly and painfully brought to the ground by grabbing their tails. A similar “Coleadero” rodeo event held in July resulted in the death of two animals with 11 others suffering from broken bones and other injuries, according to the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office.
“This is not an indictment of rodeos, but a plea to stop a cruel event that inflicts enormous pain and suffering on the animal,” said American Humane vice president of Animal Protection, Dori Villalon. “We urge officials, residents of Jefferson County and people of Colorado who respect all animals to stand up to this barbaric notion of entertainment. We must say no. We can stop this and similar future events.”
According to news reports, Jefferson County officials and law enforcement agencies have tried unsuccessfully to have the event canceled for violating animal cruelty statutes. While organizers have already been charged with misdemeanor animal cruelty counts, state law is both vague and ambiguous enough to not specifically prohibit the so-called “tail spinning” event from being held at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds.
The American Humane Association has engaged counsel to pursue a legal injunction that would halt the event, and in the meantime is joining with virtually every other animal welfare organization in Colorado to urge Jefferson County to take all measures necessary to stop it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Aug 2010 09:06 #2 by JMC
I'm sure with American Humane and Jeffco on this one. Barbaric practice that should stop

06 Aug 2010 09:13 #3 by Wayne Harrison

06 Aug 2010 11:20 #4 by Neytiri
That and bull fighting I will never understand. I think certain "traditions" need to be stopped or changed if it means animals are suffering.

Eywa has heard you... Eywa has heard you!

06 Aug 2010 13:03 #5 by Wily Fox aka Angela

In case people are interested. The County Attorneys office has an online submission form under their department.

06 Aug 2010 13:13 #6 by JMC
thanks for the links

06 Aug 2010 13:16 #7 by pinedust
Thank you, Wily, for both the links and the thread.

06 Aug 2010 14:43 #8 by Wily Fox aka Angela
Posted by RedTalon1 on PC

Hi All,

I just received an email from the American Humane with a link that I have copied and pasted here (I hope this works), that takes you to their website so you can sign a petition to stop this event - it goes to Colorado representatives and the Jefferson County Commissioners.

https://secure2.convio.net/aha/site/Adv ... login=true

Thanks again, all.

06 Aug 2010 14:50 #9 by JMC
Done! thanks for bringing this to our attention

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds