Waiterless Restaurants?

04 Dec 2013 10:17 #11 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Waiterless Restaurants?
Can you ask the tablet if the fish is fresh this week?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Dec 2013 10:22 #12 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic Waiterless Restaurants?
Just think how cheap dining out will become. Reduced waitstaff for the restaurant, higher table turnover because people wont have to wait for anything, and I cant really think of a good way of tipping a tablet. The waitstaff isn't really waitstaffing anymore. Their job basically becomes bussing tables.

04 Dec 2013 15:17 #13 by Mtn Gramma
Replied by Mtn Gramma on topic Waiterless Restaurants?
It turns a treat of eating out into a fast food excursion. Bletch!

04 Dec 2013 20:17 #14 by otisptoadwater
Anyone give any thought to the security of their wireless network and the tablets? I can think of a few nasty tricks that would deliver an electronic copy of each transaction to my own wireless device of even encrypt and compress the data and put it out on the Internet for me to retrieve at my leisure.

About ten years ago Best Buy discovered that their brand new cash registers were broadcasting financial transactions over 802.11 networks in the open. Minor details like credit card numbers, card holder names, expiration dates, and authorizations codes.

I wonder how you would conduct a cash transaction in an establishment that takes your order and payment over a wireless network. What's next? You place your order at the table and the tablet lets you know when it's ready and what window to go to to pick it up?

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

05 Dec 2013 06:50 #15 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Waiterless Restaurants?
I don't see it flying on the 285 corridor. One of the reasons we go out to restaurants to eat is the human contact.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

06 Dec 2013 08:35 #16 by Mtn Gramma
Replied by Mtn Gramma on topic Waiterless Restaurants?

pacamom wrote: Just think how cheap dining out will become. Reduced waitstaff for the restaurant, higher table turnover because people wont have to wait for anything, and I cant really think of a good way of tipping a tablet. The waitstaff isn't really waitstaffing anymore. Their job basically becomes bussing tables.

Dining won't become any cheaper. The restaurants might see an increase in profits due to lower overhead but my wallet won't.

06 Dec 2013 08:46 #17 by Venturer
Replied by Venturer on topic Waiterless Restaurants?
Prefer automated checkout at grocers. Faster and I don't have to listen to some clerk ask me stupid questions about why I am on crutches or walker or whatever. I get immediate attention if anything goes wrong at automated checkout too.

As for restaurants, works for me. More time to talk and share with family than have interruptions by someone who really doesn't want to be there taking an order and getting it wrong.

06 Dec 2013 09:14 #18 by Reverend Revelant

homeagain wrote: I will NOT use automated check out at the grocery store, for the same reason I would NOT
dine at a waiterless restaurant.....I try NOT to be a participant in the replacement of a human
being's job.....jobs are hard to come by as it is.....JMO

This idea is nothing new. The Automats of Philadelphia and New York were in business a LONG time ago. There were counter you sat at after going to a wall of small vending slots where you could order different items al-la-carte. Much like the cold food vending machines you've probably seen now a days.

1902 - 1991 (and there are new one now opening again)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automat

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

06 Dec 2013 09:23 #19 by Reverend Revelant
And here is an automatic sushi bar at Heathrow airport. Just a cashier and sushi cooks, the sushi is displayed and delivered by a conveyor set up. I saw this for the first time on my recent trip to Prague.

Click on picture for a larger image
[thumbnailpop:3hfbsppq] newton.acrossthebow.com/sushi_heathrow.jpg [/thumbnailpop:3hfbsppq]

And my step daughter says she has seen this set up in Denver.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

06 Dec 2013 13:56 #20 by pacamom

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds