Power Outage 12/5

05 Dec 2013 05:01 #1 by IREA MAN
Power Outage 12/5 was created by IREA MAN
Its never a good night for an outage especially when it's below zero. What happened was a guy wire broke on a transmission pole near Conifer High School. The pole leaned over and shut off the power to 3 substations. We isolated it and should have it on soon.
Also Xcel has dropped our Floyd hill substation and hopefully they find their problem soon and get that back on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Dec 2013 05:26 #2 by IREA MAN
Replied by IREA MAN on topic Power Outage 12/5
Correct, the Floyd Hill outage is separate and I just heard they are back on now.
We are starting to turn the power back on the the Conifer to Shawnee areas now also

05 Dec 2013 05:51 #3 by Photo-fish
Replied by Photo-fish on topic Power Outage 12/5
Thanks! :like:

We are powered up now in Burland.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

05 Dec 2013 06:06 #4 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Power Outage 12/5
Thanks IREA man! You guys ROCK!

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

05 Dec 2013 06:50 #5 by IREA MAN
We believe frost in the swampy area around the entrance to Conifer High School forced a pole upward and caused the supporting guy wire to pull out of the ground letting the pole fall over and the guy wire touched the 44,000 volt line. This is why we lost power to Shaffers, Bailey and Shawnee substations. (about 7100 customers) We found it fairly quickly so we decided to isolate it and re-energize it as quickly as we could instead of "closing the loop". Closing the loop does not happen automatically as we still have to send men out into the field. We made the call to fix it instead.
At about the same time we had a lineman responding to a structure fire and we lost the Floyd Hill substation because Xcel dropped us from Idaho Springs so we had 1400 customers off over there. Hope this helps you understand and once again thanks for your patience.

05 Dec 2013 07:18 #6 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Power Outage 12/5
THANKS so very much for all that you and your crew do......I'm SO elated that the outage wasn't
8 or 10 hours long.....(you should have seen me ATTEMPTING to make a cup of coffee with
a metal "tea ball" and paper towel as a filter.).....the wood stove served up HOT water in a
quick hurry and boy was I grateful....I woke up right at 2AM and started a fire.....temp in house
60 degrees UPstairs,48 downstairs....THEN I started looking for my metal percolator coffee pot,
NO where to be found....panic was setting in.....NO coffee :smackshead: BUT all is good NOW
THANK YOU IREAMAN FOR YOUR HARD WORK and updates.

05 Dec 2013 08:07 #7 by MountainTownAlerts
Thank you IREA MAN for your updates, we greatly appreciate it! Looks like you were on top of it pretty quickly, great job.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

05 Dec 2013 08:48 #8 by IREA MAN
I will pass along to the guys who did the real work.

05 Dec 2013 13:46 #9 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Power Outage 12/5
Kudos to 9News for the story! Looking good on the video Chip & Cutthroat Cafe! :)

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article ... -thousands

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

05 Dec 2013 16:05 #10 by FOS
Replied by FOS on topic Power Outage 12/5
Thx so much IREA MAN for the updates.
My husband woke me up from a sound sleep at 4 am to tell me I was cold and to suggest that I call you guys. Men.....hmmm.......LOL.
I had no idea there was a problem.
After 30 minutes of trying to find the land line phone, lighting candles to try and shed some light on our world, we finally started to dig the generator out just about the time the power came back on.
Great job on a very chilly nite to get us back on and warm again.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds