Happy Martin Luther King Jr Day

16 Jan 2018 16:42 #11 by FredHayek
An amusing side note, former FBI director James Comey posted a letter MLK had sent on his Twitter account Monday. Someone replied, "The FBI is used to reading the Reverend's mail and still does I see."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jan 2019 14:55 #12 by ScienceChic
In a time where it seems it's all too easy to get quickly outraged, listening to understand others is at an all-time low, divisiveness is escalating, and our government is more dysfunctional than ever, this seemed a good quote of his to share.

Though times are troubled, I truly believe we will come through this stronger than ever and better than before. Our nation has always withstood the challenges we've faced with resilience and ingenuity, a strong adherence to what is right and just, a bit of humor and tons of grace. Every moment is a learning opportunity and a path forward that we face together.

"The greatness of America lies not in being more enlightened than any other nation, but rather in her ability to repair her faults." ~Alexis de Tocqueville

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

20 Jan 2020 21:49 #13 by ScienceChic
On Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and the eve of the 3rd impeachment trial in our history, some germane quotes:

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly." ~Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from a Birmingham Jail, April 1963

"But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt. We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this nation. So we've come to cash this check, a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of justice.

I say to you today, my friends, though, even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up, live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

~Martin Luther King Jr., "I Have a Dream" speech, 1963

"The world now demands a maturity of America that we may not be able to achieve."
~Martin Luther King Jr., "Beyond Vietnam" speech, April 1967

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.313 seconds