June 8, 2015: 13th Anniversary of the Hayman Fire

08 Jun 2015 16:18 #1 by ScienceChic
I can't believe it's been that long. We were finishing construction on our home in Kings Valley and trying to close that month when the fire started and insurance companies decided to refuse insuring the entire zip code so we had to wait until the rescinded that order. We'd drive up to our empty home almost daily and watch the fire to see if it was going to make it our way or not.

I knew it was big, and one of the worst we've ever had, but it wasn't until I was working with my fellow Friends of Elk Creek Fire to help get the ECFPD Mill Levy passed that I learned that during one of the days it burned, had it started at the southern end of the area known as Conifer that it would've burned all of Conifer in the following 24 hours - that's how fast it was moving and how big it got in that time frame. That was a sobering reminder that we needed our local volunteer firefighters to have the best equipment, training, and facilities that we could help get them if they were going to be putting themselves in harms way for us.

To everyone who has ever suffered a loss from fire, my heart goes out to you. I've seen the lingering effects in my friends who are survivors, and I know that despite the recent rains, our 100-year and 1000-year fuels are still very dry within and in need of a great deal more moisture before we can relax our guard even a little.

CUSP has done a great job mitigating the burn scar over the years, and more projects are scheduled for this year. Check our Community Calendar or CUSP's website for days/projects for which you can volunteer!

Hayman Fire by the Coalition for the Upper South Platte

In early June 2002, historical fire suppression, drought conditions, continuous, dry fuels along the South Platte River corridor, human carelessness, and a dry, windy weather system combined to create the perfect conditions for fire. The Hayman Fire was first reported just south of Tarryall Creek and Highway 77 near Tappan Mountain in the late afternoon of June 8, 2002. Low humidity, warm temperatures, and high wind speeds facilitated the fire’s hot temperatures and rapid spread along the South Platte River corridor. For 20 days, the fire consumed public and private lands southwest of Denver in parts of Park, Teller, Jefferson, and Douglas Counties. Learn more about the fire in the U.S. Forest Service’s Hayman Fire Case Study .

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Jun 2015 17:50 #2 by HappyCamper
We lived on Conifer Mountain during Hayman fire moved the June after that we spent much time at an overlook with many people that were evacuated sharing what we knew about a fire claim (we had a house in town burn not to the ground and not our fault).

One couple only had a few changes of cloths so we invited them back to the house to wash some also had some extra items we just gave them. We get an Xmas card from them every year thanking us for the dinner and all that we offered.

I know that we all bitch at times but some of the nicest people live up here and we are blessed to be able to live in such a great place.

SC where on Kings Valley did you live? We had and still have several friends living there.

08 Jun 2015 18:35 #3 by Ashley
I do remember the Hayman fire. It moved fast and all the firefighters in the world wouldn't/couldn't stop it.

So whether ECFD passed the mill levy or not, they couldn't stop that type of fire. Conifer Mtn and Kings Valley are indeed high risk areas according to the current ECFD chief. Woe to anyone in the path of that type fire.

08 Jun 2015 19:27 #4 by HappyCamper
We did some mitigation on Conifer Mountain not to the extreme we have done in Bailey but given the steepness of the mountain there should there be a fire it will come rip roaring up the hill.

We have not been there for 12 years now but there was a lot of dead an very thick forest on that mountain.

It is what it is hopefully many people have started to mitigate.

08 Jun 2015 20:02 #5 by Ashley
Some of the residents off of Keuhster who went to the nth degree on wildfire mitigation learned from the Lower North Fork Fire that sometimes that won't even help.

But clearly some mitigation could in some cases slow some fires so it seems that working towards that end is better than nothing.

The hardest part of all is when you mitigate but your neighbor doesn't. There is nothing to require them to do so.

The Hi Meadow side of Bailey falls in the red category as steep as it is and most of it has not been mitigated in spite of the 2000 Hi Meadow fire.

Many on steep mountainsides are sitting on a powder keg just waiting to blow.

08 Jun 2015 21:57 #6 by ScienceChic
Yes, there are certainly conditions during which it is impossible to stop a wildfire. However, in my opinion at least, that doesn't mean that our volunteer firefighters don't deserve our support, especially when to have withheld it meant that stations would've closed, equipment would've been sold off, our fire rating would've been downgraded, and our area less well protected.

Despite this rain, the education piece continues to get homeowners to mitigate because you are correct, it does little good to spend time and effort taking care of your land when neighbors do not. We are about to embark on a year-long Fire Adapted Community Plan revision that hopefully will be embraced and implemented by neighborhoods throughout the area once completed. If anyone is interested in participating with the group, please contact Chief McLaughlin at Elk Creek Fire.

HC, we were on Baca Rd. Loved our house and the view, had great neighbors! Sometimes I wonder at the timing of things happening in life and how life would be now if I'd left my research career sooner and bought this business before we moved. It's fun to fantasize at times, but I think it turned out as it should've - definitely can't complain! :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

09 Jun 2015 08:15 - 09 Jun 2015 08:17 #7 by Ashley
Wow! Some discussion.

I am not part of Elk Creek but could you elaborate on the Fire Adapted Community Plan or where there is more online info.

Until Platte Canyon Fire firefighters become more user friendly, I don't care much for them. Telling you that they are going to tear down your gate or fence in a fire does not instill any confidence in them. They are rude. They need to learn some Public Relations Skills, especially Joe. Frankly now I won't bother to call in any smokes because of their lousy attitudes. And stop taking fire equipment and personnel to garage sales. Do that on your own time.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds