15 hit by lightning on Mt Bierstadt, dog killed

28 Jun 2015 16:48 #1 by NeutralGuy
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Jun 2015 17:25 #2 by otisptoadwater
From what the news article had to say it happened around 1130, so much for summit before noon. A gruesome reminder that Colorado weather is not predicable and you can get hurt and even killed if you're not paying attention.

My condolences to the family that lost a dog and best wishes to all who were injured.

:rose:

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

28 Jun 2015 18:09 #3 by Mountain-News-Events
From the Alpine Rescue Team :
Hiking season is here. So is the afternoon t-storm season. Always start early so you can be off the peaks before the afternoon. If caught high with sparks flying about, if at all possible descend rapidly.

From Accidents in North American Mountaineering

From one of our members, a Survival Tips for Lightning Above Timberline article that was published in the Mountain Connection

13 hit by lightning on Mt Bierstadt, dog killed
Raquel Villanueva and Allison Sylte, 5:17 p.m. MDT June 28, 2015

CLEAR CREEK COUNTY - Fifteen people were struck by lightning and a dog was killed after they were caught in a storm 500 feet below the summit of popular 14er Mt. Bierstadt Sunday morning.

The Clear Creek County Sheriff's Office says eight adults were taken to the hospital from the trailhead -- three of which were taken to Denver-area hospitals. One of them was in serious condition, the other two had non-life threatening injuries.

Five others refused further treatment, the sheriff's office says.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!
Attachments:

28 Jun 2015 18:39 #4 by NeutralGuy
Sorry the pup didn't make it but lets hope all the people are ok.

28 Jun 2015 22:02 #5 by Ashley
Thanks for the link for survival tips. A good review of what to do.

29 Jun 2015 18:03 #6 by Mountain-News-Events

From Jonathan Tyler Hardman

As some of you already know, I was hit by lightning today when I was hiking Mt bierstadt with my dog. I survived but my wonderful dog Rambo took the lightning bolt with me and he died. Here is our last picture together. It's because of him I'm still alive. I'll miss you so much Rambo

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!
Attachments:

29 Jun 2015 19:03 #7 by HEARTLESS
We wish you well and mourn the loss of your buddy.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

29 Jun 2015 19:11 #8 by NeutralGuy
How sad typical pets do amazing things even when they do not know they are.

21 Jul 2015 21:28 #9 by ScienceChic
The puppy is so cute! I hope it helps him heal a little faster. It is so nice of the breeders and the trainer to offer the puppy and training for free.

Lightning Strike Victim Who Lost Dog In Strike Getting A Special Gift
July 21, 2015 5:31 PM

LITTLETON, Colo. (CBS4) – A man from Littleton struck by lightning on a Colorado 14er says he’s still feeling the effects three weeks later. He’s back at work and able to do his job repairing surgical instruments, but he believes anxiety led to a recent accident.

Along with stress there is sorrow because the lightning killed his dog. Rambo the German shepherd was Hardman’s best friend.

But in a few weeks that will change. Hardman is adopting one of Rambo’s little brothers.

“I decided to call him Blitz because it’s German for lightning.”

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

22 Jul 2015 06:58 #10 by FredHayek
Very nice for the breeder to do this. Hope he recovers fully and they are soon hiking again.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds