California

28 Jun 2015 19:14 #1 by NeutralGuy
California was created by NeutralGuy
My sister lives in California and she said it is super brown there.

Only thing I can find online is pictures of all the rich people that can pay the fines.

Wonder what the golf courses look like and how is the wine country doing?

I don't want SC to panic :oregonwine:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Jun 2015 19:32 - 28 Jun 2015 19:34 #2 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic California
Lack of water is good stress for the vines - makes 'em put more energy into the fruit and create better-flavored grapes! Is all good...thanks for thinking of me! :oregonwine:

I'll never forget the one time I visited Grand Junction - every winery I went into and asked them details about their wines, vineyards, processes, etc I learned they get about 5 tons grapes/acre. Standard practice in CA is to only harvest ~2 tons/acre. If you have ideal growing conditions, such as on the western side of CO, then the vines don't stress enough and they produce a large amount of fruit. If that extra fruit isn't pruned off, you get less concentrated flavors. I truly think they could start producing as good a quality wine as what comes out of Napa and Sonoma if they were a little harsher to their vines, though there's a lot more to making good wine than that too.

I haven't been following the weather in CA very closely, but the amount of fires in Alaska is horrible. One day last week, they had an area the size of Texas declared as under Red Flag Warning and on their Facebook news pages it was post after post about a new fire or ongoing fire. :(

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

28 Jun 2015 21:56 #3 by Ashley
Replied by Ashley on topic California
I don't know that you have to be rich. A friend is renting and put in a vegetable garden and they pay the fine rather than lose their crop.

I haven't looked on the maps but isn't any of our water flowing to CA? Too bad we can't box and ship to them considering we have plenty.

Given a choice I would rather deal with flooding over wildfires.

29 Jun 2015 08:08 #4 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic California

Ashley wrote: I don't know that you have to be rich. A friend is renting and put in a vegetable garden and they pay the fine rather than lose their crop.

I haven't looked on the maps but isn't any of our water flowing to CA? Too bad we can't box and ship to them considering we have plenty.

Given a choice I would rather deal with flooding over wildfires.

The Colorado River on the Western Slope has to be helping out the California drought. Stressed vines? :oregonwine: Never heard about that. 2015 should be a good vintage then. (Silver lining.)

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

29 Jun 2015 08:16 #5 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic California
Lake Powell is near full capacity, run off isn't over yet.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

29 Jun 2015 12:43 #6 by RenegadeCJ
Replied by RenegadeCJ on topic California

HEARTLESS wrote: Lake Powell is near full capacity, run off isn't over yet.

Lake Powell is still 86' below full pool, which is just under 54% full.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

29 Jun 2015 14:57 #7 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic California
www.lakepowell.water-data.com/
You're right RenegadeCJ, I incorrectly looked at water elevation only and didn't account for acre feet.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds