Evergreen businesses struggle to find workers to fill jobs

20 Aug 2015 12:32 #1 by ScienceChic
I'm glad Josie wrote this while they are still working on the area community plan updates. This has been an issue for quite some time and there needs to be housing to address it. I've had friends struggle to find rentals in the area, the lengths they've gone to in order to find anything in the area is saddening. Yes, we are an area that will always struggle with water availability and can't be over-developed like down the hill, but we also have lots of land that isn't suitable for developing and with proper planning the area should be able to grow intelligently and sustainably yet still provide for the needs of the community.

Evergreen businesses struggle to find workers to fill jobs
Business owners gather to tackle challenges in transportation, affordable housing, wages
By Josie Klemaier, YourHub Reporter
Posted: 08/20/2015

EVERGREEN —When Evergreen residents Ken Carlson and Bruce Thoms, both retired businessmen, began volunteering with Evergreen Christian Outreach, their intent was to help people find jobs. But in hosting local job fairs, they were faced with a different population in need.

"There's been a transition now — where we're hearing more and more employers just not finding people," Carlson said.

In an effort spearheaded by Evergreen Christian Outreach, or Echo, owners and managers of area businesses recently met to discuss and brainstorm over the challenges they believe are keeping them from hiring and retaining employees.

The group identified lack of transportation, low wages, lack of affordable housing and recruiting from beyond Evergreen as main problems, mostly regarding entry-level and part-time positions.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds