Would you shoot?

24 Aug 2015 12:27 #1 by NeutralGuy
Would you shoot? was created by NeutralGuy
If there was a bear in my backyard going after my dog I would shoot it.

Give me a ticket I don't care.

www.9news.com/story/news/local/2015/08/2...-foco-bear/32270791/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Aug 2015 13:38 #2 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Would you shoot?
I would first fire a warning shot into the ground, but after that, I would take the bear down if I could get a clear shot. Luckily my dogs are fast and cowards. Last weekend a pack of coyotes was in our driveway, my pups stayed very quiet, like they hoped the coyotes wouldn't find them in our bedroom.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

24 Aug 2015 18:00 #3 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic Would you shoot?
If the dog got into it with a bear I would have no choice. It would be a tough thing to time and I would do my best to only hit the bear... that would be a tough situation. The Wundermutt had great recall but he'd ignore me if he was already engaged in a fight with another animal.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

24 Aug 2015 18:49 #4 by HappyCamper
Replied by HappyCamper on topic Would you shoot?
I hate to say it but if this guy said he was in fear for his life he would not have had to deal with it. Only because he was defending his dog are they even considering giving him a fine.

Something to think about if you are ever in this situation.

25 Aug 2015 09:15 #5 by Ashley
Replied by Ashley on topic Would you shoot?
Somewhere from one of the articles I thought he said he was in fear for his life. It is rather ridiculous that people have to be in fear of their life to shoot wildlife who are harassing anything on their property. The fines are hefty as was seen by the bear kills, mom and cub off of Richmond Hill some years ago. Yet other friends who had chickens and were constantly harassed by a bear were given the ok by DPW to kill it if it happened again.

As for what I would do? If I was dumb enough to let my pets out unsupervised, not in a large enclosed fenced topped kennel I deserve what happens. Maybe next time he will do more for his pets. We live in wildlife territory.

25 Aug 2015 10:25 #6 by NeutralGuy
Replied by NeutralGuy on topic Would you shoot?

Ashley wrote: Somewhere from one of the articles I thought he said he was in fear for his life. It is rather ridiculous that people have to be in fear of their life to shoot wildlife who are harassing anything on their property. The fines are hefty as was seen by the bear kills, mom and cub off of Richmond Hill some years ago. Yet other friends who had chickens and were constantly harassed by a bear were given the ok by DPW to kill it if it happened again.

As for what I would do? If I was dumb enough to let my pets out unsupervised, not in a large enclosed fenced topped kennel I deserve what happens. Maybe next time he will do more for his pets. We live in wildlife territory.

This was in a neighborhood with fenced back yards.

I don't have my yard covered up here and I stand by what I said that if I could safely kill the bear without hurting my dog I would.

I too would probably try a warning shot to chase him off

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds