Construction at Shaffers Crossing on 285

03 Sep 2015 12:42 #1 by Jon
Some of you have contacted me regarding the status of the construction project at Shaffers Crossing along 285 and have wondered if more signs would be appropriate. Here is some information I received from the CDOT Project Engineer in regards to this:

"I checked on this today (Wednesday). The crews are setting the temporary concrete center barrier, and expected to be complete with that today or tomorrow. With that completed, it should make the striping a little more rational, and the whole site flow better. The signs entering the job appear to be according to plan, and standard. I will see about getting some signage at the exit-that can be a double edged sword. One of the conclusions of the FHWA review of the site last spring was that there was too much signage, and it was confusing. It's a phenomenon known as sign pollution. We have also asked the state patrol to increase their presence to slow people down. That has long been a problem in this stretch, both during and not during construction projects. The road is designed for 50, and many, if not the majority, of the cars travel 70. I thought about another radar sign (temporary,not permanent) down closer to the exit, but I don't think there's room. I will have another construction engineer drive it tomorrow, and see if he has any insights to improve the situation."

Hope this information is helpful. Please contact me anytime about this.

Best,
Jon Keyser
State Representative
House District 25
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Sep 2015 12:55 #2 by ZHawke
Replied by ZHawke on topic Construction at Shaffers Crossing on 285

Jon wrote: Some of you have contacted me regarding the status of the construction project at Shaffers Crossing along 285 and have wondered if more signs would be appropriate. Here is some information I received from the CDOT Project Engineer in regards to this:

"I checked on this today (Wednesday). The crews are setting the temporary concrete center barrier, and expected to be complete with that today or tomorrow. With that completed, it should make the striping a little more rational, and the whole site flow better. The signs entering the job appear to be according to plan, and standard. I will see about getting some signage at the exit-that can be a double edged sword. One of the conclusions of the FHWA review of the site last spring was that there was too much signage, and it was confusing. It's a phenomenon known as sign pollution. We have also asked the state patrol to increase their presence to slow people down. That has long been a problem in this stretch, both during and not during construction projects. The road is designed for 50, and many, if not the majority, of the cars travel 70. I thought about another radar sign (temporary,not permanent) down closer to the exit, but I don't think there's room. I will have another construction engineer drive it tomorrow, and see if he has any insights to improve the situation."

Hope this information is helpful. Please contact me anytime about this.

Best,
Jon Keyser
State Representative
House District 25
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Thank you for the info, Mr. Keyser.

I don't really understand, though, how there can be too much signage at this dangerous intersection, especially southbound coming around that bend. To me, overhead signs similar to those we see on interstate highways would be appropriate given that they could be constructed over the lanes, themselves, to help drivers be in the correct lane as they pass through.

Another issue I have is with the signs overhead at Richmond Hill. The merge point is just as dangerous as the intersection at Shaffer's Crossing because they are barely visible to southbound drivers (too small to catch the eye and too high over the highway to help in that process).

Thank you for your efforts.

03 Sep 2015 14:05 #3 by ScienceChic
Thank you for staying on top of this Mr. Keyser, it is MUCH appreciated!

I stopped and took some pictures yesterday of Hwy 285 at Shaffer's Crossing heading NB. I've been hearing from friends that many drivers seem confused heading SB and start to exit, realize they are not in the lane to continue on 285, then cut over back into the left-hand, straight-through lane hard/fast nearly causing an accident. The NB lane seems well-marked, but I do think additional signage letting people know to exit right, stay left to continue on Hwy 285 would be very helpful going southbound.

I think the concrete barriers will help as well until the cable rail barrier can be installed. I worry about this weekend's traffic; the additional patrols to slow drivers down will help.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds