Vacationing in Israel during troubled times

11 Nov 2015 16:36 - 12 Nov 2015 05:59 #21 by Reverend Revelant
For something a little lighter from Israel, I present to you the Cats of Israel.

There is a large feral cat population in Israel. A lot of cats were brought into Israel by the British after the Palestine Mandate (The League of Nations, 1923) to deal with mice and rats. Ninety years later, the country is overrun with these felines.

As a cat lover, I was in heaven. Below are some of the pictures I took of cats. A lot of the cats got treats from me (I couldn't help myself) and they were my best friends during some meals outdoors.

A cat capturing a lizard in an ancient wall at the Ophel archaeological dig (along the south wall of the Temple Mount). (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

This little gal at the Douzen restaurant in Haifa was actually rather friendly. (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

Another shot of the Haifa cat. (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

If you look closely in the background, you can see a little white and gray cat eyeing the fish that was just caught by one of these Haredi men. This is a small beach in Tiberius on the Sea of Galilee. (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

Cat on Salah E Din Street in East Jerusalem, just north of the Damascus Gate of the Old City (crappy night shot). (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

Cat on Yafo Street in West Jerusalem, just west of the Jaffa and New gates of the Old City. (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

Cats on Hagia Street in the Muslim distict of the Old City. (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Nov 2015 12:49 #22 by ScienceChic
This is my favorite post, that last paragraph was a powerful reminder that we are all more alike and have more in common than we differ. If we find the common ground, it's not so hard to overcome the differences and find ways to work together. Thank you Reverend Revelant.

Reverend Revelant wrote: Simchat Torah (Jerusalem - Oct. 4, 2015 – The Naked Journalist)

We arrived at the Capitol Hotel in East Jerusalem about three in the afternoon Oct. 4, 2015, a few hours before the evening of Simchat Torah. Simchat Torah translates literally as ‘rejoicing with the Torah,’ the Torah referring to the first five books of the Bible along with the oral traditions.

Simchat Torah is a Jewish holiday that celebrates and marks the conclusion of the yearly cycle of public Torah readings and the beginning of a new cycle.

The first night of our stay, Sunday, was at the Capitol. The room in our eventual home for two weeks, on Yafo Street in West Jerusalem, would not be ready until Monday afternoon, when holiday goers headed back home.

Even though we just came off a grueling 24 hours in the air transportation system, the thrill and excitement of being in a new county was enough motivation to hit the streets.

We headed out, about an hour after sundown, for a short five minute walk to the Damascus Gate of the Old City. There were police and border security at the gate and we had to show our passports.

The streets on the other side of the Damascus Gate were almost empty. We were walking through the Muslim Quarter, headed for the Western Wall.

As we travelled down Hagai Street, we only saw a few shops open. The day before, Oct. 3, Rabbi Nehemia Lavi and Aharon Benita were killed in a knife attack on this street. Benita’s wife, Adele and their two-year-old son were injured.

I didn’t know if the empty streets and shuttered shops were due to the incident the day before or because it was a holiday for Israel. Maybe it was a combination of both.

The empty streets gave an other-worldliness to this part of the Old City. It felt later in the evening then it really was. Groups of police hovered at the intersections of the narrow streets.

At one shop that was open, I heard the familiar squawk of parrots. There was an African Grey sitting on a hand rail on the street and inside the shop was a caged blue and gold macaw.

I asked the Arab shopkeeper if I could perch the grey on my hand. After assuring him I owned a parrot and I knew how to handle them, he let me perch the bird. Then we perched the macaw on my girlfriends arm.

This blue and gold macaw belonged to an Arab shopkeeper in the Muslim Quarter of the Old City of Jerusalem. His shop was one of the few open the evening of Simchat Torah. (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

Further down the street we heard singing, in Hebrew, coming from the second story of a building we were passing. Later I learned that it was Israeli men carrying out part of the rituals of Simchat Torah.

This particular night is the only night of the year that the Torah scrolls are removed from the ark and read at night. Passages are read from the book and the men dance around the synagogue seven times with the scrolls. This can go on for hours.

Our designation was the Western Wall, known in Hebrew as the Kotel. This was my first time in the Old City and I found the signage confusing and sometimes nonexistent. We probably took more twists and turns then necessary.

We heard more singing off in the distance, which I suspected was coming from the Western Wall area. But the sounds echoed off the narrow streets and ancient buildings, which only made it more difficult to locate its source.

As we crossed over into the Jewish Quarter, the streets suddenly became more congested and most of the crowd were headed in the same direction, toward the Western Wall. We merged into the crowd and let them guide us to our designation.

The wall itself is magnificent to behold at any time of day, but at nighttime, lit up, it takes on a character of its own. It’s like a silent sentinel, overseeing centuries of history, conflicts and dreams.

The Western Wall plaza was filled with tourist and Jews celebrating Simchat Torah Oct. 4, 2015. At the top right of the picture you can see a shadow of the Al-Aqsa mosque, which is situated on the Temple Mount (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

For the Jews it is the last physical vestige of the complex that housed their holy Temple. For the Muslims, the wall is part of the structure that now supports the Dome of the Rock and the Al-Aqsa mosque. For Christians, it’s a place where their savior walked, prayed and taught.

Jews were at the wall, singing, praying, dancing and socializing. Simchat Torah is a reverent but happy holiday. They celebrate the greatness of the Torah and their relationship to the holy words of the text. It’s an outward response to their internal esteem for the word of God.

But between that wall and the Dome of the Rock, there is a chasm as wide as the universe, a never-ending political and religious war that has fostered a mutual distrust between Israel and the rest of the Muslim world.

As I walked back through the city to my hotel, it occurred to me that the shopkeeper with the parrot took the time and effort to share his pet with me. There was a momentary connection between him and myself, in the mist of all the tensions that were swirling around the city.

I know, it’s trite, but I will say it anyway. Maybe the Jews and Arabs all need to get pets. Then they can work on the big stuff.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

18 Nov 2015 15:04 - 19 Nov 2015 06:31 #23 by Reverend Revelant
Masada (Israel - Oct. 15, 2015 - The Naked Journalist)

I promised I would end this thread with a photo essay about Masada. In my personal opinion, Masada is the Chaco Canyon or the Mesa Verde of Israel, both in scope and the "wow" factor. I've been an armchair archeologist for 30 years with a special interest in Middle Eastern archeology and even though I’ve seen every picture and view of Masada you can imagine, read dozens of papers and articles on Masada, all of that is pale compared to being at Masada live and in person.

I will let Wiki give you the basics.

Masada (Modern Hebrew מצדה metzadá "fortress"[1]) is an ancient fortification in the Southern District of Israel situated on top of an isolated rock plateau, akin to a mesa, on the eastern edge of the Judean Desert, overlooking the Dead Sea 20 kilometers (12 mi) east of Arad.

Herod the Great built palaces for himself on the mountain and fortified Masada between 37 and 31 BCE. According to Josephus, the Siege of Masada by troops of the Roman Empire towards the end of the First Jewish–Roman War ended in the mass suicide of 960 people – the Sicarii rebels and their families hiding there.

Masada is one of Israel's most popular tourist attractions.[2]

Now the pictures.

The quick way to get to the top is by the cable car. (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

Some people opt to forego the cable car and use the original assent to the top called the Snake Path. As you can see in this photo, more people take the cable car up and then the path down. I had thought about walking down until I saw the quarter-mile long hill the path climbs to get back to the visitors center. It was 104 degrees (f) out in that desert, I decided against that option. (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

This is the cable car station at the top of Masada on the east side. In the background, you can see the Snake Path. At the bottom of the mesa is the visitors center. (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

This is a reconstruction of Herod the Great's palace on top of Masada. The large buildings in the rear of the photo are the commandants quarters and then the storage rooms. The palace complex is the three tiered building in the foreground, one building on top, one building on the next outcropping down and then the final building overlooking the desert. You can also see the eastern path to the palace along the right side of the model. And realize, going south (at the top of the model), there was still a whole mesa top that contained living quarters, watchtowers and other buildings, including another small palace at the far southwest end. (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

Looking out the east window of the commandants quarters you can see the outline of one of the Roman siege camps. (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

These are Herod's large, rectangular storage buildings. Wind and rain eroded the structures after the first centuries C.E., and one or more earthquakes caused major damage. By the fifth or sixth century, when Byzantine monks reached the top of Masada, they found mound upon mound of ruins. (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

This photo shows one of the storage rooms reconstructed from the rubble by archeologists. (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

Looking south from the first level of the palace, back to the storage rooms and the commandant’s quarters. One of the watchtowers can be seen in the background. (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

The portico of the top level of the palace, which has very little left of it, so this modern platform was reconstructed. (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

To get to the middle and lower buildings of the palace, there are steps that partly follow the original eastern access path. (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

On the western side of Masada, another Roman siege camp. (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

The Romans finally breached the top of Masada by building a massive siege ramp out of rock, sand and rubble on the west side of the mesa top. (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

The Tristram's starlings that live near Masada have become very socialized by the humans that visit the site. Hundreds of them perch around the various buildings and sides of the mesa, waiting for tourists to feed them. (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

The Tristram's starlings have become so socialized, they will eagerly eat out of your hand. (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

The last part of the steps leads to the lower palace area. (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

The lower palace is partly reconstructed. The columns on the back wall, which appear to be made of marble are actually facades that were sculpted out of limestone. There wasn't any marble locally for Herod to use for columns. (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

Back at the top palace, looking down at the other two levels. (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

And this is me, the Naked Journalist, signing off, behind a column at Masada. I hope everyone enjoyed the stories and photos. (Photo by Walter L. Newton – The Naked Journalist)

19 Nov 2015 10:29 #24 by FredHayek
Jealous. Sounds awe inspiring.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

03 Dec 2015 17:50 #25 by Reverend Revelant
You thought I was finished? I was, but I was going through some more pictures and I thought these would be interesting. Another photo essay about security in Israel. I'm lazy, so I'm going to post a link to my Facebook page. It's at the top of the page and it's public, so even if you don't have a Facebook account, you should be able to view it.

www.facebook.com/walter.newton.50

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick

04 Dec 2015 09:05 #26 by Rick
Kicking myself for not visiting the campfire and seeing this thread. Nice work Rev, thanks for the great insight and personal account!

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

04 Dec 2015 16:04 #27 by Reverend Revelant
You're welcome.

I'm going back for a week in January 2015, just me, rest of family staying home. I'll probably be bring back new photos and stories.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds