Woman who hit, killed Jeffco sheriff’s deputy sentenced to 10 days in jail

30 Oct 2015 21:46 #1 by Mountain-News-Events
Woman who hit, killed sheriff’s deputy sentenced to 10 days in jail
by Justin Joseph
October 30, 2015

GOLDEN, Colo. — There are no tears that will bring him back. No hug tight enough. After three tough hours, Sergeant Sean Renfro’s widow left the courtroom in Golden Friday.

Inside, 23-year-old Blair Gledhill was handcuffed and led away in front of her family. It’s not been an easy day for anyone.

“An absolutely tragedy. A tragedy for the Renfro family and a tragedy of the Gledhill family,” said Jefferson County District Attorney Peter Weir.

Sean Renfro was killed on January 3, 2015.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Nov 2015 13:31 - 11 Nov 2015 13:34 #2 by Jukerado
I am sickened by the verdict in this case. No changing it now, of course.

In researching Colorado laws and statutes online, I found this tidbit:

To be charged with vehicular homicide in a fatal crash, police have to have evidence that a driver was driving recklessly, legally defined as the willful and wanton disregard of traffic laws....

Among the aggravating circumstances necessary to charge a driver with vehicular homicide in a fatal crash are excessive speeding or driving while drunk or impaired.

If there’s no proof the driver intentionally disobeyed traffic laws, the charge for causing a fatal crash is careless driving involving death.

If one is speeding in icy, snowblind conditions, isn't that driving too fast for conditions, recklessly and wantonly disregarding traffic laws? She wasn't 'accidentally' speeding, so that makes it intentional. Blair Gledhill got the lighter sentence; so light it's almost non-existent. A family lost a husband and a father, and our community lost a peace officer. We are diminished, because of the actions of another self-absorbed driver.

If my dear wife was taken by someone who was tailgating or talking on a cellphone or texting or driving around 50 mph in such wintry conditions, I would never be able to accept such a slap on the wrist for the killer. If prior bad acts are inadmissible, then prior good acts should be also. I am not impressed by the testimony of friends and family. We can get 100 people to say anything. But at the time of the accident, Gledhill was breaking the law by driving too fast for conditions and recklessly disregarding the safety of others. What she did in life up to that point is, to me, irrelevant. For in those seconds she killed a man, and no matter what a good person she's been or how wonderful her life was, she took a man's life.

I don't make such statements lightly. But I have always believed that as drivers, we have a responsibility to those around us - that we will respect them and their loved ones and not endanger them. I believe firmly in forgiveness, but forgiveness does not alleviate paying the penalty for breaking the law and taking someone's life. It is a simple thing to feel remorse and apologize after the fact. It's become the norm in our society. Say anything, do anything, apologize, next story please. Maybe I'm just not a grey area man, and possibly I'm naive for thinking this way - but no one should die through the self-important, negligent arrogance of another.

Sergeant Renfro, your service to our community will not be forgotten. :flag:

11 Nov 2015 16:38 #3 by ScienceChic
Only 10 days does seem too light of a slap on the wrist, though I agree with the DA that this is, in the end, a tragedy for both families. Absolutely it is worse for the Renfro family and my heart is with them. The Gledhill's have a family member now in jail who will have to live with the consequences of her actions forever, and I'm sure this has affected them too.

Our choices have consequences, we must take responsibility for them.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds