New here and questions!

29 Aug 2018 08:06 #11 by ConradFam
Replied by ConradFam on topic New here and questions!
Thank you! I noticed the main road into where we will be has a school on it, so I take that as a good sign. Off of that road, it is dirt and I have to drive maybe 1/4 mile on it. I did want to ask about tires! I am guessing I should look into getting winter tires. My question is what do you recommend? My son will likely need them too. Mine are going to be ridiculously expensive. :| My hubs should be good with his 4 WD pick up though! Today is the home inspection so I am cutting out of work early to attend. Yay!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Aug 2018 10:21 #12 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic New here and questions!
Oh, good question because it's all about the tires! Bad tires are the main reason why you see vehicles slide off the road in bad weather and get stuck, and are the people who spin tires and go really slowly up the hill (Turkey Creek Canyon is the worst for this) during afternoon rush in snow/ice causing backups. I would take a sedan with excellent tires over a 4-wheel drive SUV with bad tires in the mountains any day. It also matters when CDOT implements Traction Law for passenger vehicles (which they do often and we always post those too):

Under a Traction Law, motorists will need to have either snow tires, tires with the mud/snow (M+S) designation, or a four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicle — all tires must have a minimum one-eighth inch tread.

If during a Traction Law period, you get stuck or cause an accident, they can cite you for not being compliant and add to your fines.

If you can afford it, get the best snow tires recommended for your vehicle make/model and switch them out anytime now (we've had snow as early as August, but typically if you do it by the end of September you're good to go). Take them off again in June and put summer tires back on to save wear and tear on the good snow tires. I've seen some people swear by studded snow tires, but most just get plain, old snow tires and do fine.

Having two sets of tires is not always a feasible option for your budget though, so at a minimum get really, really good all-season tires that you can use year-round. I've done that and as mentioned before, gotten home most of the time. It's the freak storms (unexpected amount of snowfall in a short time or happening earlier in the season than expected) that wreak the most havoc by catching CDOT, and everyone, off guard and unprepared. If you get good tires now and pay attention to the forecasts, you'll be fine!

Good luck with the inspection!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

13 Sep 2018 13:46 #13 by ConradFam
Replied by ConradFam on topic New here and questions!
Update! Closing on the house on the 27th! Prob won't actually move in until the following week. I am still trying to figure out when I can get my household goods delivered. I am so excited!

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds