Morrison Police Chief allegedly being fired for not writing enough tickets

25 Aug 2020 08:39 #11 by ScienceChic
KDVR aired their story last night in which they interviewed Chief Mumma and discussed documentation they obtained. Video interview below:

Morrison Police Chief forced to retire: Not enough traffic tickets
Rob Low and Carisa Scott, KDVR | August 24, 2020

MORRISON, Colo. (KDVR) — Even the police chief in the town of Morrison learned you can’t fight city hall.

George Mumma Jr. accepted retirement Aug. 12 after meeting with Town Manager Kara Winters, who according to Mumma complained his officers weren’t aggressive enough in writing traffic tickets.

“It was made clear that our budget was based on traffic revenue,” Mumma told the Problem Solvers in an exclusive interview.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Aug 2020 10:39 #12 by ScienceChic
As usual, I am seeing several comments on social media from people saying that Morrison's practices are why they avoid doing business in Morrison as a way to protest/not support the town.

Here's why avoiding doing business in Morrison isn't working:

As mentioned when we brought this firing to light, mymountaintown.com/forum/139-the-campfir...iting-enough-tickets , the Canyon Courier reported that over half of the Town of Morrison's budget comes from citation revenues and court fees, less than half from sales tax. Just avoiding spending money in the town isn't cutting it, especially for everyone who lives off the 285 corridor because there's not a convenient way for those residents to get home other than clogging Evergreen passing through if they were to start detouring up I-70.

There needs to be more pressure put on the town government to change their mindset of relying on this revenue stream. Mumma was trying to move that direction and this was their response; it's unacceptable. Please send letters of support for Chief Mumma and the positive changes he was making for the Morrison Police Department. The officers there respected him and deeply appreciated the direction he was taking them to improve their reputation and service to their community in focusing on my crime investigation than ticket writing.

Instead of avoiding doing business in the town, if we patronized them more and strictly obeyed the law while in town, their revenue would flip-flop. It's not feasible to only implement a public grassroots campaign to gut Morrison's ticket revenue by getting EVERYONE (especially out-of-town visitors who don't know what the history of the area is and current political events) to strictly obey the laws so there can't be any tickets written, but if we led the way with positive change, it's less detrimental to those who live and work there.

I challenge you to join me.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

29 Sep 2020 22:24 #13 by Mountain-News-Events
A follow-up story by KDVR:
Town of Morrison forced to dismiss speeding tickets
by: Rob Low, Carisa Scott, KDVR | Sep 18, 2020

MORRISON, Colo. (KDVR) — The Town of Morrison, long known as a speed trap, has been forced to dismiss traffic tickets after the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) learned Morrison lowered speed limits without a state traffic study.

The speed limit through downtown Morrison is 25 mph. On June 15, then-Police Chief George Mumma asked the state if he could slow traffic to 20 mph because restaurants were seating people on the sidewalk near the street due to COVID-19.

CDOT said no, not without a traffic study. But Mumma admits he lowered the speed limit anyway on a temporary basis.

“I felt it was the right decision to be made, whether that’s right or wrong today, I made the decision and we didn’t have any fatalities and no one got hurt,” said Mumma, who explained he was motivated to help downtown restaurants during the pandemic.

But Mumma said he was following orders of the town manager on July 15 when he lowered the 40 mph speed limit sign outside of town to 25 mph.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

30 Sep 2020 08:57 #14 by FredHayek
Anecdotal Here: For the past few months, I haven't seen nearly as many Morrison police on 285, C-470, or even in the town proper. I had expected to see it pick up after they fired the police chief. Maybe the story embarrassed the town?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds