"Death Wobble"

30 Sep 2010 16:22 #11 by Randejosh
Replied by Randejosh on topic "Death Wobble"
Yep, have a Dodge too...

It is the Steering Stablizer. You can update yours to a 2003 set up. Best thing to do is go to [url=http://www.cumminsforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]www.cumminsforum.com[/url]. they will have the answers you are looking for.

I have a 2001, updated mine 5 years ago. not a problem since.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Sep 2010 18:20 #12 by Martin Ent Inc
Replied by Martin Ent Inc on topic "Death Wobble"
It's a DODGE.

30 Sep 2010 21:34 #13 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic "Death Wobble"
You need to have your tires balanced.

Regards,
Major Bean

01 Oct 2010 04:48 #14 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic "Death Wobble"

Martin Ent Inc wrote: It's a DODGE.

AGREED!
and to answer the question, Not like that. I get it only when I drive on a dirt shoulder.

01 Oct 2010 06:57 #15 by pinedust
Replied by pinedust on topic "Death Wobble"
There is minor shimmying and there is death wobble, I think some are confusing the two. My Dodge truck would shimmy once in a while for no reason, it was very annoying. My jeep, on the other hand, yikes! True death wobble is scary, and nothing like mud or snow packed in the wheel, or out of balance tires. It is a violent, noisy, shaky ordeal.

It may just be a band-aid, but a steering stabilizer fixed my issue, no problems with my Wrangler in the last few years.

Good luck!

01 Oct 2010 08:51 #16 by RidinHy06
Replied by RidinHy06 on topic "Death Wobble"
We definitely are experiencing a true Death Wobble...not a shimmy. We have replaced the stabilizer bar. Actually we've replaced the entire front end. I have been told it's a Dodge thing and Dodge knows all about it. BUT...it sounds like they too don't have a fix since not one certain part is pinpointed to be the problem causing it. It has always happened on dry roads. The first time I was cruising at maybe 60 mph on Hwy 76. Since we got new tires, it does it at 30-40 mph. It happened twice yesterday on 43. The whole front end feels like it's going to fall off. It's a VERY scary feeling. So what did you change on the Wrangler?

01 Oct 2010 09:08 #17 by Gladtobe
Replied by Gladtobe on topic "Death Wobble"
One thing to check on older Dodge and Jeep vehicles for this "Death wobble" are control arm bushings. Often overlooked because it's more work than most mechanics want to do. Sometimes, they can't be tested on the vehicle, a tricky sitaution, so they must be removed. But that is the chance you take for checking and replacing everything else first.
All the above everyone mentioned can be just a band aid to minimize the condition. Remember, if it does not go away completely, it's not the fix. After all, it's just mechanical.
Also check tire wear. Are they wearing on the sides, feathered, one ide or both, scallopped, etc.?

01 Oct 2010 10:27 #18 by Slicky
Replied by Slicky on topic "Death Wobble"
We experienced the Death Wobble in our older Dodge Truck (now have a 2001 Dodge, with no troubles), and know how very scary and dangerous it is. There IS a fix. I'm sorry that I can't recall the web address, but google for a Dodge owners blog site. Therein, various owners and repair shops blog about the repairs that are a common problem with Dodge Trucks. We have had a world of good information come from this blog site.

We still feel that the Dodge Cummins is the best truck going for our needs (lots of towing and great reliability). Good Luck to you. The information is out there.

Edit to add: I just looked back at previous posts, and I think the web site that we have used is listed in Randejosh's post

06 Oct 2010 21:52 #19 by mtn60
Replied by mtn60 on topic "Death Wobble"
All of above are valid areas to look at.
My Cherokees have experienced it at times and while the steering stabilzer ( damper) can be the culprit, replacement may mask the true problem for awhile:
UnBalanced wheels
Bushings on sway bar / Trk Bar worn out.
Steering linkage bushings shot.
Wobble upon braking could be rotors or pads
or on the High Mileage side of things: the front bearing Hubs wearing out.

A good mechanic will find the problem right away by test drive then inspection.
The above repairs are not too pricey if the right guy does the work and is honest.

07 Oct 2010 09:51 #20 by RidinHy06
Replied by RidinHy06 on topic "Death Wobble"
Hello all of you! Thanks for all the input. We had the entire front-end replaced a few years ago. Have now replaced the shocks (again) and have a steering stabilizer on it's way (2nd one). We bought new tires last week. We do need to have the alignment checked as well as the rotors...again. It seems once we think we have it "fixed" it starts up again. Years go by before it happens again. Scares the crap out of you when it does. My husband has researched and researched and talked to a boat load of people. There's a guy in Englewood who will diagnose the "culprit" for $28.00. It's worth it to see what he says. And O'Malley's seems to have fixed several. No one has come back to them with the same problem. I will post what we come up with. Thanks again! We're open to any and all suggestions. It's nice hearing what others, who have experienced this, have to say.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds