I remember when

28 Oct 2010 10:21 #1 by Grace
I remember when was created by Grace
I have started this thread in Evergreen and Highlands Ranch Bound social sites. Let's start an (I remember when thread).

I remember when there was only the Safeway mall area. No other major scars were on the land

I remember when everyone knew each other at the Conifer Drug Store strip mall.
When my car caught on fire in front of the drug store most of the proprietors came to my rescue. The fire dept sent a small truck. We all looked at each other and I said that it was so good because we all know each other. We even knew the fireman.

I remember saying that once the area was developed; there will be so many people that we will no longer have this closeness. I was right, we have some people that are our acquaintances, but we have lost that more intimate friendship between customer and store employees.

I remember the Long Horn Bulls living at the Flying J Ranch. I remember the airstrip.
Oh I miss the Conifer Hardware store and the old drug store where I could find interesting things.

I remember when you could count on Conifer Medical Center to be available to any sick person or accident without a $50.00 walk in charge. It was more of a safety net for the community. I had that sense of security. The old time docs would be there if I got hurt without having me feel like I was walking into a business.

There are so many things that I loved about Conifer back in the day. What memories do you have?

Feel free to include Pine and Bailey.
Grace

Seemingly effortless beauty or charm of movement, form, or proportion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Oct 2010 08:53 #2 by Grace
Replied by Grace on topic I remember when
27 people have viewed the "I Remember When post" and not one person has added a memory to it. Come on someone must remember the lay of the land back in the day.

Evergreen memories took over like a race car and even brand new Highlands Ranch added a comment. What was Bailey and Pine like before it took on it's new coat?

What was Harris Park like? What was George Town like? Was the wildlife spotted everywhere? was Hog Heaven in business?

Sound out Park County and lets share memories!

Grace

Seemingly effortless beauty or charm of movement, form, or proportion.

29 Oct 2010 08:59 #3 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic I remember when
FINE!
I remember going to the Conifer Medical Center when it was in Green Valley. And every time I eat in there now, I think "What's under the floor?"
I remember walking into Conifer Hardware and everybody, saying my NAME!
I remember 285 being a 2way highway, and we never had the 285 parade on the holidays, it was everyday, and we didn't care.
I remember 200 head of elk sitting in my yard, before they "FIXED" 285 in front of Green Valley.
I remember walking to the "Castle" and walking all though it.
Finding the matates, and now can't get near them.

OK Now Grace?

29 Oct 2010 10:22 #4 by Wayne Harrison
Replied by Wayne Harrison on topic I remember when
I remember Conifer Medical Center at Green Valley and being wheeled out the north door (not there anymore) to a waiting ambulance.

I remember some local appliance place just a few doors down from the medical center in Green Valley. We bought a Gibson refrigerator there when we moved up here. We still have it.

29 Oct 2010 10:37 #5 by rlcarolyn
Replied by rlcarolyn on topic I remember when
In 1972 my first husband and I would go through 285 corridor to get to the homestead land owned by his family for over 100 years then it was out on 24, just past the boob hills on the right with a white tee shirt for the land mark to enter, we put the red flag on the antenna, so the ranchers won't shoot you, (when the cattle mutilation was happening and ranchers were wary back then). We went 5 miles back on cow path to get to the old home, the only source of heat was the wood-burner, the well was 50 feet away from the home and for entertainment was cranking up the old phonograph and listen to the old 78s. The his an hers out house was comfortable but enjoyed inside plumbing when I got home. We always brought extra fuel for the lanterns and ice for the ice box.
Going through Fairplay the old restaurant had a sign saying "no long hair, no shoes, no shirt, no service", and the old patrol was a state trooper that was from Bailey to Antero on 285 with the old bubble on top of the car. Never stopped us but he waved a lot and smiled! Those were the days. Does that sound old or something?

29 Oct 2010 10:41 #6 by MyMountainTown
Replied by MyMountainTown on topic I remember when
A similar topic was merged into this thread. The Title was 'HELLOOO!!'

We appreciate your posts.

285 Bound Staff

Proudly serving mountain Jeffco, Clear Creek & Park County!
You can also find & connect with us on:
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube LinkedIn

720-608-0285

29 Oct 2010 10:57 #7 by Local_Historian
Replied by Local_Historian on topic I remember when
I remember 285 as a two lane, hardly traveled road - and I liked it that way!!!

I remember pre any Safeway on this side.

I remember why it was City Market and the hot dog was in its proper place.

I also remember getting my first "legal" beer at the Bucksnort, cause my dad took me there, and wanting to live in Pine. Well, I got close.

29 Oct 2010 11:08 #8 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic I remember when
I remember when we went through Morrison to get to 285 instead of C470, and that would be the last stoplight until Fairplay and that one would be blinking.

Traffic? I seem to remember it a lot worse than you guys do. In the old days (circa 70's) you would get stuck behind a semi or RV and it would take forever. And frustrated people pulling out on double yellow lines nearly killing opposing traffic. What is now a 60 minute trip to South Park used to take 2 hours.

Nostalgia? When the resorts, restaurants and towns along 285 seemed to be more alive, now so many of them seem abandoned.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

29 Oct 2010 12:30 #9 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic I remember when

Local_Historian wrote: I remember 285 as a two lane, hardly traveled road - and I liked it that way!!!

I remember pre any Safeway on this side.

I remember why it was City Market and the hot dog was in its proper place.

I also remember getting my first "legal" beer at the Bucksnort, cause my dad took me there, and wanting to live in Pine. Well, I got close.

Wasn't the hot dog's proper place down on Colfax? :biggrin:

Does anyone have pictures of these pre-now places? I remember 285 as 2 lanes after Goddard Ranch and at Windy Point. But I drive thru there now and just can't picture what it looked like before.

The same for the bridge by Bradley's. I know that the bridge wasn't there and that there was an a-frame type building there, and that Linda Lu actually sold hot dogs there. But I just can't picture it in my mind anymore.

Oh and if anyone has a picture of my house when it was a barn, I'd love to see that too.

29 Oct 2010 12:34 #10 by Wayne Harrison
Replied by Wayne Harrison on topic I remember when
When the Hot Dog moved from its original location on Colfax to up here, it was widely criticized by the locals who said it didn't fit in.

I remember the Woodside, Red Rooster and I forget the name of the restaurant that is now Kenosha Auctions.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds