Roadside Crosses and 285 fatalities

10 Nov 2010 07:13 #11 by pacamom
What are your boundaries for 285? Anywhere or limited to Jeffco or Park County? And by killed on 285, do you mean a traffic accident?

"Pepper". Windy Point. He was engaged to be married to my daughter's girlfriend's sister.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Nov 2010 08:27 #12 by CC
I am interested in 285 from Morrison to Buena Vista
Do you have a name for this friend and do you know how and when he died?

10 Nov 2010 11:41 #13 by Local_Historian
Are you doing this since the highway became a highway, or are you going to go back to when a lot of the current was the railroad bed, and before that? Cause tracking some of that might be pretty well impossible.

10 Nov 2010 12:47 #14 by 2wlady
I thought it was illegal to plant crosses by the side of the road. That's why they have "official" signs that start "In Memory Of <name>."

If someone decided to take issue with a cross, it can be removed. Typically, CO leaves them alone unless there are complaints.

I don't know what it costs for the sign.

10 Nov 2010 13:32 #15 by TPP
pchistory, I was told a different story (from an old timer that lived in the area when he was a kid).
It had to do with the Dillon Gang, the posse being out numbered, so they shot 2 of the gang to even up the odds.
There a lot more to it, but sounds like urban legend now, so WHAT about the treasure, & the knife broken off in the tree?

10 Nov 2010 13:54 #16 by pchistory

TPP wrote: pchistory, I was told a different story (from an old timer that lived in the area when he was a kid).
It had to do with the Dillon Gang, the posse being out numbered, so they shot 2 of the gang to even up the odds.
There a lot more to it, but sounds like urban legend now, so WHAT about the treasure, & the knife broken off in the tree?

Sounds like you're talking about the Reynolds Gang. That shootout occurred up on Guanella Pass. As to the treasure, I have it on very good authority (Jess Fitzsimmons) that it was found and carried away many years ago. But that's another story for another thread.

10 Nov 2010 14:33 #17 by Martin Ent Inc
Not Guanella, Hall Valley.
Jess told me the same story and I have heard it from another real old timer.

So how you think the ranch got started :lol:

10 Nov 2010 14:42 #18 by I am Woman
I don't know if you have gotten the names from these or not but there is a cross about 1/4 to 1/2 mile north of Horn Cemetary off of the northbound lanes. There are also several crosses and a big blue sign right by IREA also on the northbound side. That one has the name of a woman but I can't remember what it is. I probably won't be going through there until after the holidays. Maybe someone can stop and write down names?

10 Nov 2010 15:32 #19 by pchistory

Martin Ent Inc wrote: Not Guanella, Hall Valley.
Jess told me the same story and I have heard it from another real old timer.

So how you think the ranch got started :lol:

I've heard Hall Valley, too, but the research I've done consistently locates the shootout (and the beheading of Singletary) to Geneva Gulch, which I typically associate with Guanella. One account from a woman who went to the site in about 1872 says they saw it on a trip up Guanella Pass.

Jess didn't find the treasure - but he knew who did.

10 Nov 2010 18:15 #20 by CC
Your right I Am Woman.
The crosses by IREA are for a young woman named Sarah. I will try and stop and get the correct spelling of her name this week and add her to my list.
I have seen the cross you are referring to just past Horn Cemetery.
My hope is that someone here can tell us more info about it as well as others on 285.
The list I have started was compiled by doing a search of the Flume and High Timber Times in the last two years.
The cost for a state roadside memorial is 100$. Any family member can request and pay the fee to have one erected on behalf of a loved one.
Each county gets to decide what their preference is on the roadside crosses.
I just think that people erect these crosses so people don't forget so I am hoping to tell some of these stories.

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds