Keeping Romance Alive in the Age of Female Empowerment

20 Dec 2010 09:32 #11 by ScienceChic

travelingirl wrote:

BearMtnHIB wrote:

I don't know about other women but it is getting harder and harder to find a guy that has that old manly, strong persona. I don't know why.

I know why. Most men today are wimpy - girley men. They are brought up being taught all the political correct ideals and no longer are allowed to be men. Combine this with the fact that most of them are as dumb as rocks - and you get what we have today.

Wow- then you need to hang out with me! The guys I had lunch with on Thursday were far from wimpy, girly men or dumb as rocks...and they like to hang out here on 285bound!

Including me?! :wink: I fit most of that description, with the bonus that I can choose to be a tomboy or a lady, depending on my mood or what I'm doing that day! (Yes, I know my way around power tools and chainsaws, and would love to learn how to shoot a target with great accuracy! And then go get dressed up all sexy and go out dancing!)

I think there needs to be a shift in how we teach young boys and girls to approach each other. All the books out there that tout up playing games need to be shoved in a deep dark closet. It's hard when you are younger and still figuring out who you are, much less what you want in someone else, but what should be emphasized as the most important thing in any relationship is upfront, forthright, brutally honest, open communication. No game playing, no trying to make the other person jealous, no hiding any issues, no stringing them along, no miscommunication because it's all laid out. And if ideals, goals, core beliefs don't mesh, then settle for friendship and leave it at that.

I've only met a handful of guys in my lifetime who were obviously intimidated by a strong-willed, intelligent, successful woman (both conservative and liberal alike) and they stick out like a sore thumb - it's pretty easy to keep from going down that dating path.

archer wrote: It isn't a case of strength in men as it is men who are comfortable with who they are and do not feel threatened by a smart, educated, and successful woman. I disagree that the men of today are "wimpy-girly men". A man who is sensitive and not overbearing shows strength not weakness....they are secure in who they are and don't need to act like a cave man to prove themselves.

I also disagree that a woman can have too much education, we should always be educating ourselves.....this is a fast changing world and we need to keep up.....not just for ourselves as women, but in our role as prime educator of our children. I would have very little use for any man who thought his partner shouldn't continue to educate herself as far as she wants or is able to.

What's with the women should be this...or men should be that? We are all individuals, there is no limit to how much we can grow and learn excepting those limits we place on ourselves. Both men and women should work towards their individual goals, and their shared goals with their partner. Any woman or man who feels that they cannot because of self imposed gender roles may well be missing out on a very rich life and new experiences.

Having raised two kids....I do not see such a big difference in their generation than mine, they still want a good solid relationship, they want a partner in life, but they may have redefined what that partnership should look like. My generation is different from what my parents experienced in their lives, and I applaud kids today for finding their own way in this world. Mine have done well, both in personal success and warm loving relationships. I suspect that they are the norm, not the exception.

:yeahthat:

BearMtnHIB wrote: I know why. Most men today are wimpy - girley men. They are brought up being taught all the political correct ideals and no longer are allowed to be men. Combine this with the fact that most of them are as dumb as rocks - and you get what we have today.

The younger generation is the worst.

As long as any adult thinks that he, like the parents and teachers of old, can become introspective, invoking his own youth to understand the youth before him, he is lost. -Margaret Mead

Bear MtnHIN) wrote: I look at a women's ability to take care of herself financially as a plus. I run into many women who I think are over-educated. Somehow, that masters degree only served to further indoctrinate them into the politically correct society we have created for ourselves.

I see even the over-educated women making very bad choices in the guys they choose - yes I say choose because today women choose the guys as much as guys choose women. I see women discard potential partners that would be a good match - for an idiot.

Yes - that guitar player in the band looks good on Friday night, but usually by monday morning the reality starts to set in that a long term relationship may not be possible with a guy who is so self centered.

Women are very much like men in this way - they are attracted to the things that usually don't make good partners. It's like a guy picking the girl with the biggest boobs - it might work - but there are more impoortant characteristics to consider for relationship material.

It's not a product of "over-education", there is no such thing - we are constantly learning every day (yes, some more than others) - but it is a consequence of low self-esteem, or a conscious desire to only have a casual relationship. Sometimes all they want is that guitar player who won't stick around. Sometimes they don't think they deserve better and will subconsciously keep picking the guy who will obviously hurt them - and that's where they need to figure themselves out, face their fears (even of being alone, because it's a lot harder to figure yourself out if you are in a relationship), look introspectively and ask themselves what they truly want, and even seek therapy to help them deal with their issues and become a stronger, more assured person. Once they've realized what they want in a mate, what attributes are important to them, it's easier to communicate that and not waste your time, or choose unwisely. But relationships, even just friendships, also require life-long learning, compromise, understanding, open communication, and effort.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Dec 2010 10:28 #12 by Rockdoc

archer wrote: It isn't a case of strength in men as it is men who are comfortable with who they are and do not feel threatened by a smart, educated, and successful woman. I disagree that the men of today are "wimpy-girly men". A man who is sensitive and not overbearing shows strength not weakness....they are secure in who they are and don't need to act like a cave man to prove themselves.

I also disagree that a woman can have too much education, we should always be educating ourselves.....this is a fast changing world and we need to keep up.....not just for ourselves as women, but in our role as prime educator of our children. I would have very little use for any man who thought his partner shouldn't continue to educate herself as far as she wants or is able to.

What's with the women should be this...or men should be that? We are all individuals, there is no limit to how much we can grow and learn excepting those limits we place on ourselves. Both men and women should work towards their individual goals, and their shared goals with their partner. Any woman or man who feels that they cannot because of self imposed gender roles may well be missing out on a very rich life and new experiences.

Having raised two kids....I do not see such a big difference in their generation than mine, they still want a good solid relationship, they want a partner in life, but they may have redefined what that partnership should look like. My generation is different from what my parents experienced in their lives, and I applaud kids today for finding their own way in this world. Mine have done well, both in personal success and warm loving relationships. I suspect that they are the norm, not the exception.

I like this post. Many good points with which I agree. I do see the roles evolving and some men having issues. Let me elaborate by sharing my personal plight. I'm of the older generation (65+) . A few years ago I was without work, could not pay my bills or support my family. My ex made enough money for us to live on and we really did not have a financial problem. I had a problem. It's not that the wife was earning more than me or that she was the bread winner, it had to do with my expectations and perception of failure. Brought up to be the bread winner, my inability to provide made me feel like a failure. I did not handle that well. I also have trouble accepting being a kept man because of that. The psychology for this is the money earned by my spouse belongs to her and that earned by me belongs to us. Intellectually, I understand the fallacy of my perspective, but emotionally I struggle to accept it. I find it interesting how deeply ingrained my perception is and how hard I have to work on it emotionally to change it.

Could it be that men today are caught between two shores?

20 Dec 2010 10:47 #13 by BearMtnHIB
Over-education can be a problem and I mentioned it only because I personally have run into it. If it keeps one from ever getting a job in the real world because you are a career student. I'd like to see a few women I know actually get a job and make money, instead of depending on men to provide the green.

Like I said - it's a plus for me to see a woman who can make money. With two of us doing it- the time it takes to get to a place in life where our time is our own would come much sooner. If I have to pull all the weight, it's going to take twice as long.

On the other issue - I see women who should be way past the point of wanting "Biff the heavy metal gituar player" in their lives - but continue to make poor choices. Many of thos women are living week to week because they are single moms. You would think that they would at least want a stable partner in their lives - if not for their own sake - but for their children. Biff is a little more exciting and fun though - even if he's going to dump you in a month for the next hot single mommy.

What's Biff's motivation to stick around anyway? He's got 3 or 4 hot mommies waiting in line.

I have a hard time just finding women these days with a good head on their shoulders. It would be refreshing to find one for the long term - but until then it seems like I'm stuck with women who don't meet the minimum specifications of relationship material.

20 Dec 2010 12:15 #14 by Tiny Bubbles
I think a lot of girls think they need to be like the girls on TV and in the movies. Then try to be that way in a relationship and learn that it doesn't work in real life. The powerful women on TV arent nesisarily the best role models for successful relationships.

20 Dec 2010 19:49 #15 by major bean
For the last 40 years, boys have been raised in day care centers and in the evening gone home to a one parent household. Most usually this household was headed by a woman.
The boys have seen their mother date and cohabit with several men during their growing up years and this is very detrimental to their development and interpretation of women.
They did not have a resident father to show them what a man's role in a relationship might be. Instead they have seen the discord of the breakup of their mother's serial relationships.
Added to this is the modular family which developed because of divorce and remarriage. Very few of these family are strongly committed to stability during many of the years during their childhood. This is recognized by the boys and has quite a formative impact on their view of men and women.

Sure, there are antidotal stories to the contrary which will refute what I have stated, but the national trend has been as stated. It has contributed greatly to the psychy of the current batch of American males. (The females have fared no better.)

Other than that, with women: some men are born to failure, others have failure thrust upon them.

Regards,
Major Bean

21 Dec 2010 17:33 #16 by Tiny Bubbles
I can say from experience that it can be very hard for a girl growing up when her father is gone. My mom didnt make the right choices as far as who she let into our house or brought home.

21 Dec 2010 17:44 #17 by CinnamonGirl
Very interesting perspectives. When you fall in love it seems we have no control over it, you really cannot pick who you love for some reason so it is something inside that is not logical so it seems some of these women men roles really do make a difference. Call it evolution or whatever but turning those roles around, I think, cause havoc in this system. If you only knew what I go through.

:)

23 Dec 2010 14:49 #18 by ScienceChic
CG - maybe this might help! You just have to find someone who talks like you do!

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic ... ng_romance
Shared talking styles herald new and lasting romance
In dating game, conversationally aligned players often pair up
By Bruce Bower
December 18th, 2010; Vol.178 #13 (pg. 8)

A subtle, surprisingly mundane type of banter lies at the heart of romance. Love’s flames get fanned when a man and woman similarly employ words such as I, it, but and under in everyday conversations, a new study suggests.

Conversation partners’ related use of function words — such as pronouns, articles, conjunctions, prepositions and negations — augurs well for mutual romantic interest and stable relationships, says a team led by graduate student Molly Ireland and psychologist James Pennebaker, both of the University of Texas at Austin.

Unconscious verbal coordination of this sort, dubbed language-style matching by the researchers, signifies not how much two people like each other but how much each is paying attention to what the other says, Ireland and her colleagues propose in an upcoming Psychological Science.

Other evidence has suggested that unconscious mimicry of speech rate, emotional tone and mannerisms by a conversation partner increases how much that person is liked, he notes.

Function words tap into verbal coordination between two people because these words are independent of conversation topics and require shared knowledge to be used effectively, Pennebaker says.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 Dec 2010 16:00 #19 by CinnamonGirl
SC you always come up with the coolest stuff. I will read and post later.

23 Dec 2010 21:42 #20 by Hoot Owl

The Viking wrote:

Tiny Bubbles wrote: Its hard to keep romance alive because men are on the hunt and once they bag a woman they put a notch on the bedpost and start hunting for the next trophy. They might even stay around, but once they have you the challenge they thrive on is gone.

Have we dated???????

Shouldn't you be asking. "How are the kids doing?" NM

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds