Keeping Romance Alive in the Age of Female Empowerment

02 Dec 2010 06:55 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Keeping Romance Alive in the Age of Female Empowerment

Sexual attraction in the 21st century, it seems, still feeds on 20th-century stereotypes. Now, as more women match or overtake men in education and the labor market, they are also turning traditional gender roles on their head, with some profound consequences for relationship dynamics.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/01/world ... .html?_r=1

This is a constant issue in my life and there is a need for some men to feel like they are taking care of a woman and our new world is changing. To have attraction it seems that we still have to have those timeless roles because attraction doesn't think logically. So, if we women do not seem feminine (and bread winners are not feminine) attraction just is not there. I don't know about other women but it is getting harder and harder to find a guy that has that old manly, strong persona. I don't know why.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Dec 2010 08:22 #2 by BearMtnHIB

I don't know about other women but it is getting harder and harder to find a guy that has that old manly, strong persona. I don't know why.

I know why. Most men today are wimpy - girley men. They are brought up being taught all the political correct ideals and no longer are allowed to be men. Combine this with the fact that most of them are as dumb as rocks - and you get what we have today.

The younger generation is the worst.

I look at a women's ability to take care of herself financially as a plus. I run into many women who I think are over-educated. Somehow, that masters degree only served to further indoctrinate them into the politically correct society we have created for ourselves.

I see even the over-educated women making very bad choices in the guys they choose - yes I say choose because today women choose the guys as much as guys choose women. I see women discard potential partners that would be a good match - for an idiot.

Yes - that guitar player in the band looks good on Friday night, but usually by monday morning the reality starts to set in that a long term relationship may not be possible with a guy who is so self centered.

Women are very much like men in this way - they are attracted to the things that usually don't make good partners. It's like a guy picking the girl with the biggest boobs - it might work - but there are more impoortant characteristics to consider for relationship material.

08 Dec 2010 21:49 #3 by Waylon Lead
I realize it's hard for a lot of women to find a guy that has that old manly, strong persona. I think I know why. We as new age men, are supposed to be sensitive men of the new millennium. And the younger generation IS the worst. Half the time I can't even tell the difference between the boys and the girls. I'm still happy to be a man and act like a man. A lot of women appreciate that, and some women don't. I don't need or want the ones who don't. They can pursue Richard Simmons or Micheal Jackson (wait, not him, he's dead) or some other thenthative "man". I enjoy women immensely for the female attributes they have and I've always appreciated their femininity. I like women who enjoy the same male attributes that manly men have.

08 Dec 2010 22:06 #4 by archer
It isn't a case of strength in men as it is men who are comfortable with who they are and do not feel threatened by a smart, educated, and successful woman. I disagree that the men of today are "wimpy-girly men". A man who is sensitive and not overbearing shows strength not weakness....they are secure in who they are and don't need to act like a cave man to prove themselves.

I also disagree that a woman can have too much education, we should always be educating ourselves.....this is a fast changing world and we need to keep up.....not just for ourselves as women, but in our role as prime educator of our children. I would have very little use for any man who thought his partner shouldn't continue to educate herself as far as she wants or is able to.

What's with the women should be this...or men should be that? We are all individuals, there is no limit to how much we can grow and learn excepting those limits we place on ourselves. Both men and women should work towards their individual goals, and their shared goals with their partner. Any woman or man who feels that they cannot because of self imposed gender roles may well be missing out on a very rich life and new experiences.

Having raised two kids....I do not see such a big difference in their generation than mine, they still want a good solid relationship, they want a partner in life, but they may have redefined what that partnership should look like. My generation is different from what my parents experienced in their lives, and I applaud kids today for finding their own way in this world. Mine have done well, both in personal success and warm loving relationships. I suspect that they are the norm, not the exception.

20 Dec 2010 00:37 #5 by Tiny Bubbles
Its hard to keep romance alive because men are on the hunt and once they bag a woman they put a notch on the bedpost and start hunting for the next trophy. They might even stay around, but once they have you the challenge they thrive on is gone.

20 Dec 2010 01:08 #6 by Travelingirl

BearMtnHIB wrote:

I don't know about other women but it is getting harder and harder to find a guy that has that old manly, strong persona. I don't know why.

I know why. Most men today are wimpy - girley men. They are brought up being taught all the political correct ideals and no longer are allowed to be men. Combine this with the fact that most of them are as dumb as rocks - and you get what we have today.

Wow- then you need to hang out with me! The guys I had lunch with on Thursday were far from wimpy, girly men or dumb as rocks...and they like to hang out here on 285bound!

20 Dec 2010 01:16 #7 by Travelingirl

Tiny Bubbles wrote: Its hard to keep romance alive because men are on the hunt and once they bag a woman they put a notch on the bedpost and start hunting for the next trophy. They might even stay around, but once they have you the challenge they thrive on is gone.

Yea - there are still modern-day neanderthals that drag their knuckles that behave like that...but there are some really great guys still out there, you just have to look for them! :heart:

20 Dec 2010 01:30 #8 by The Viking

Tiny Bubbles wrote: Its hard to keep romance alive because men are on the hunt and once they bag a woman they put a notch on the bedpost and start hunting for the next trophy. They might even stay around, but once they have you the challenge they thrive on is gone.

Have we dated???????

20 Dec 2010 01:32 #9 by The Viking

travelingirl wrote:

Yea - there are still modern-day neanderthals that drag their knuckles that behave like that...but there are some really great guys still out there, you just have to look for them! :heart:

Yes there are still some of us who are gentlemen who are secure enough in our manhood to not be intimidated by a successful and intelligent lady. And there are still some of us who have hung onto our stong morals and values when it comes to treating a lady like a lady should be treated. With dignity, honor and respect.

20 Dec 2010 01:33 #10 by The Viking

travelingirl wrote:

BearMtnHIB wrote:

Wow- then you need to hang out with me! The guys I had lunch with on Thursday were far from wimpy, girly men or dumb as rocks...and they like to hang out here on 285bound!

:wink:

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds