If you could live in any decade when would it be?

16 May 2010 00:37 #1 by The Viking
If you could live in any decade which one would you choose to go back to or whould you stay right here. Personally I loved the 80's. The music the lifestyle and the freedom. Other than that I would like to have tried the 60's. I always wondered how great the free love decade was. Or the Little House on the Prairie very simple lifestyle, hard working, swimming in the creek, no TV, strong family value years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 May 2010 11:09 #2 by Robynabc
50's.

I think it would have been interesting to see what that was like. I like technology but I sort of miss what it was like without it too. Because the easier things get the more lazy we get. The one thing I love about technology is it helps us learn. Knowledge is everywhere and easy to get. But I do like a simpler time. Interesting question. I wanted to pick a time I already went through because it would be comfortable.

"I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m out of control, and at times hard to handle.
But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best."
. Marilyn Monroe

16 May 2010 11:49 #3 by Rockdoc
The ancient past would be most interesting to me. I'd like to visit for a day or two places whose environments I interpret just to see how right or wrong I am about those interpretations. Say, the Jurassic and Cretaceous of the Middle East, the Ordovician of New York would be extraordinary. After that perhaps 2200 or 2500 so I could see if we made it to the stars or if we have met or identified alien life. My lived past does not interest me that much, been there done that. I want new experiences. The 1800's in the US would be cool.

16 May 2010 13:48 #4 by The Viking

Rockdoc wrote: The ancient past would be most interesting to me. I'd like to visit for a day or two places whose environments I interpret just to see how right or wrong I am about those interpretations. Say, the Jurassic and Cretaceous of the Middle East, the Ordovician of New York would be extraordinary. After that perhaps 2200 or 2500 so I could see if we made it to the stars or if we have met or identified alien life. My lived past does not interest me that much, been there done that. I want new experiences. The 1800's in the US would be cool.

Love that answer and never thought about the future to see where the world will end up and what we will have accomplished.

16 May 2010 15:14 #5 by Robynabc
I thought about the Renaissance period but I can go the the Renaissance festival for that. And it is way safer that way.

"I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m out of control, and at times hard to handle.
But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best."
. Marilyn Monroe

19 May 2010 08:02 #6 by Rockdoc
To our romanticized perceptions and portrayal the Renaissance festival seems like it is a fun time. I suspect the reality of the period was much more brutal.

20 May 2010 15:13 #7 by FredHayek
For living, I like my current decade or 2020. For older, I would want to visit, but am much too much of a girly man to live back then. I think women in the 1880's were tougher than the men of today.

The poor of today live much better than the royalty of yesteryear, access to basic hygiene, medicine and healthcare, incredible amounts of info available. I wonder what Da Vinci could have done if he had access to the Internet.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

20 May 2010 15:27 #8 by The Viking

SS109 wrote: I think women in the 1880's were tougher than the men of today.

:sissies I totally agree with this! I can't see many men now a days making it back int he 1800's. :sissies :BodyBuild:

21 May 2010 08:16 #9 by LopingAlong
Wow, Da Vinci with the internet...now there's a cool idea for a story!

I've thought about this post and tried to pick a time. I love the technology of today and the the simple things we take for granted, like having a shower. On the other hand, the late 1800's have always captured my imagination--if there is reincarnation, I'm thinking I was there.

The future holds little interest for me as far as living there. I see the galss half-empty in that respect; society dereriorates in so many ways each decade, IMO, and I'm glad that I am not newly born today.

21 May 2010 11:59 #10 by Rockdoc

The Viking wrote:

SS109 wrote: I think women in the 1880's were tougher than the men of today.

:sissies I totally agree with this! I can't see many men now a days making it back int he 1800's. :sissies :BodyBuild:

No most have had it too good, are comparatively lazy, possess limited skill sets, and have no concept of what it's like to work hard long hours. For those out there dong hard physical labor, think of all the breaks you take. That was not part of the past life style. If your not totally exhausted at the end of the day, you didn't work hard. This does not even consider what difficulties travel demanded. There was no hopping in the 4-wheeler, truck, car to drive across the yard, no RV's... I think you get the drift. People died younger in part because of the physical hardships endured, not just because of improved medicine.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds