New Droid

29 Dec 2010 22:44 #11 by conifermtman
Replied by conifermtman on topic New Droid
Must have apps for Android phones:
1. Keepass - Used for storing all your passwords. It also lets you create very complex passwords, making them hard to crack.
2. Dropbox - lets you keep files in the clould. If you use Keepass you can keep your keepass file in dropbox.
3. lookout - helps recover your phone if stolen or lost. With the premium service you can remotely wipe the data on your phone. Also does antivirus.
4. AppBrain - Another way to access the Android Market
5. SwiftKey - The best keyboard for your Android.
6. PowerAmp - The best MP3 player for your Android. Better than an IPod once installed.
7. Skype - Same as the PC app.
8. Google Voice - Native Google Voice
9. Amazon Kindle - Read your books or preview others
10. Google Sky Map - Identifies what stars you are looking at.

Make sure you password protect your phone, otherwise a thief will have access to your data!

For advanced users:
ROM Manager - if you want to install custom operating systems on your phone.
Titanium Backup - Used for backing up all your apps, you will need this if you do custom ROMs.
Tasker - Lets you automate task

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Dec 2010 07:12 #12 by pinedust
Replied by pinedust on topic New Droid
Android apps, beyond the many normal features, I use the most...

handyCalc - Way cool for formula solving, best calculator I have. It charts too.
EchoLink - HAM radio over the net
Dropbox - Nice for sharing files with my other computers
ConnectBot - ssh access. Totally cool for *nix sys admin.
androidVNC - Desktop access from my Droid
PAW Server - Web server interface to the features of the Droid.
Navigation - I just haven't had problems with it, better than my old garmin.
My Tracks - Nice GPS breadcrumb app
GPS Status - Compass, pitch/Roll, lon, lat, elev, acceleration, speedometer
Barcode Scanner - Interesting for many things, but it is required for many of the apps I write.
Bluetooth File Transfer - exactly what it sounds like

16 Jan 2011 14:12 #13 by HappyCamper
Replied by HappyCamper on topic New Droid
Just an update the "femtocell" for Sprint works wonderful it is nice not to be in the dark ages anymore I actually have cell service at my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for all the app ideas have loaded quite a few and just love them.

Do have to admit Angry Birds is a blast but it make me angry at times when I can't get through a round.

16 Jan 2011 15:43 #14 by CC
Replied by CC on topic New Droid
Hahahahaha on the Angry Birds. The seasons addition is also a great deal of fun also.
HappyCamper....could you pm me your location. I am wondering if my hubby and I can use this device to get coverage where we are in the ranchos

16 Jan 2011 16:05 #15 by Something the Dog Said
Replied by Something the Dog Said on topic New Droid

HappyCamper wrote: Just an update the "femtocell" for Sprint works wonderful it is nice not to be in the dark ages anymore I actually have cell service at my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for all the app ideas have loaded quite a few and just love them.

Do have to admit Angry Birds is a blast but it make me angry at times when I can't get through a round.

I am glad the femtocell worked out. They really don't advertise it, so you have to dig to find it. Verizon has something similar called a "network extender".

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

16 Jan 2011 16:24 #16 by HappyCamper
Replied by HappyCamper on topic New Droid
Becky sent you a PM

Thanks again Something the dog said!!! Your Avatar makes my eyes go funny.

16 Jan 2011 16:57 #17 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic New Droid
AT&T's microcell is pretty nifty too (thanks LJ, for that tip!), although every random once in a while I still have a call dropped. It's nice not having to worry about data time and speed here at home, especially when EM's on the computer I can still connect in, or when we go downstairs to watch TV.

I saw a commercial for the new Evo's - they look slick and have an additional one with a keyboard if you don't like touchscreens! When I went and compared them, the Droid, and the iPhone, I just liked the smaller iPhone better, and it had longer battery time. I'm happy with my purchase, but my next door neighbor is just as happy with his Evo so it's all personal preference that goes best with your lifestyle. It's nice to have so many wonderful options out on the market.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds