New Droid

27 Dec 2010 17:00 #1 by HappyCamper
New Droid was created by HappyCamper
I just got a new Droid phone for Christmas and it would be nice if others would share what apps they find helpful.

I also have another question, we do not get cell at our house and I was wondering if there is an app or something that I can download so that call can come into my phone via the Internet.

Our service is Sprint if that matters.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Dec 2010 17:05 #2 by Travelingirl
Replied by Travelingirl on topic New Droid
Haven't loaded too many apps so far but I can tell you to avoid the navigator. The guy that sold me the phone was either completely misinformed or he flat out lied when he said it could replace my Garmin. Plus I just read online that they are logging many complaints about it.

27 Dec 2010 17:07 #3 by HappyCamper
Replied by HappyCamper on topic New Droid
Thank you, I have not played with the GPS much I have one in my car and it works great but it is a good thing to know.

29 Dec 2010 08:07 #4 by CC
Replied by CC on topic New Droid
We got droids this year also and I love mine. It takes some time to get used to how it works but it is an amazing phone technology.
Useful apps.
1. Angry Birds (strange little game where you sling shot chickens at pigs hidden inside different structures. Very addictive)
2. Pandora (Internet radio. Turns your phone into an mp3 player)
3. L attitudes (allows you to see where your friends are at any moment)
4. Urban Spoon (allows you to find a restaurant anywhere)
5. Slot Machine (mindless fun when you are terribly board)
6. TV.com (gives you access to different TV shows on your phone)
7. Groupon (Get coupons for all kinds of stuff)

All of the apps above are free. I am not sure what kind of service you have but your market icon should provide you with a way to search.

I used my navigation all the way to and from Texas and had no problem with it. I also had a Tom Tom and they worked pretty much the same. Just use it for short trips for now to get the hang of how to use it.
Hope this helped

29 Dec 2010 08:18 #5 by cydl
Replied by cydl on topic New Droid
My favorite apps are:

1. Mr. Number - (formerly called Call Blocker) block whatever calls you want. I got it during the election season. ;-)
2. George Carlin Quotes - sue me. I love George!
3. Dilbert - yeah, I like Dilbert too.
4. Gstrings - a portable tuner. Pretty specialized (I play in an orchestra and use it there), but handy if you play an instrument
5. Droid Light - use the camera flash as a small flashlight.
6. Ringdroid - make a clip of any mp3 a ringtone
7. Recorder - just that - a recorder. I use it mostly for meetings at work.
8. Uninstaller - to uninstall apps

Have fun!

29 Dec 2010 08:25 #6 by HappyCamper
Wow, thank you for all the ideas now I just need to sit down and load some.

29 Dec 2010 09:17 #7 by CC
Replied by CC on topic New Droid
Have fun!

29 Dec 2010 09:52 #8 by Something the Dog Said
Replied by Something the Dog Said on topic New Droid

HappyCamper wrote: I just got a new Droid phone for Christmas and it would be nice if others would share what apps they find helpful.

I also have another question, we do not get cell at our house and I was wondering if there is an app or something that I can download so that call can come into my phone via the Internet.

Our service is Sprint if that matters.

Thanks

Sprint offers a "femtocell" that allows your cell phone reception to be enhanced over the internet. A friend in Boulder has one and it works quite well, 4G service.

There is a cost for the device, although my friend was able to get them to drop the charge for it.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

29 Dec 2010 13:10 #9 by V_A
Replied by V_A on topic New Droid
Please read and learn what "free" really means

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 39730.html

Bottom line is that very little is free, and consumers should be informed.

29 Dec 2010 17:45 #10 by HappyCamper
Thank you Something the Dog Said!!!!!

We called Sprint and we are getting a free device and they are not going to charge us a monthly fee either because they could confirm that we do not have cell at our home.

It will work with my new phone and hubby's Blackberry.

FYI for those of you who are going to look into this, plan to spend some time on the phone first to get to the right department and after that the have to do some verification on cell coverage.

Thanks everyone you are all truly a wealth of knowledge and have turned to you many times for information what a great website!!!!

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds