Words I always get wrong

06 Jan 2011 17:09 #21 by Surveyor
Replied by Surveyor on topic Words I always get wrong
I always thought that spelling no one as noone was OK as long as you put an umlaut over the second o--like we see with the word cooperate.

Of course, I don't see an umlaut key on my computer....(an umlaut, for those who aren't familiar with the term, is the two little dots that go over the vowel).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Jan 2011 18:28 #22 by kentucky jan
One word I always have to think about when spelling is restaurant, my brain wants it to be restaraunt.

As far as reading posts, it sets my teeth on edge when I see "would of" instead of "would have."

06 Jan 2011 18:29 #23 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Words I always get wrong
would of should of could of
anywhooo

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

07 Jan 2011 09:31 #24 by ComputerBreath
What bothers me, though since I'm out of the military loop right now I don't see it as much, is when I see "Enlisteds" printed.

When pluralizing Officers...it is as I just wrote. However, Enlisteds is not a word. The proper terminology is Enlisted Members.

It also really bothers me when I see "Ssgt. or Msgt." These are abbreviations of the rank of the member. The spelled out version is Staff Sergeant, so the actual abbreviation is SSgt (where the first "S" equals Staff and the "Sgt" equals the abbreviation for Sergeant). And there is absolutely no period after any Air Force rank abbreviation...never has been, never will be.

07 Jan 2011 21:39 #25 by EddieWess
Replied by EddieWess on topic Words I always get wrong
It drives me nuts when people say that they are still living at home. What they mean is they are living in their parents' home. Seems to me. where ever you live is home.

And in the Courthouse - isle instead of aisle, grrrrrrrrrr.

07 Jan 2011 22:24 #26 by freebird
Replied by freebird on topic Words I always get wrong

kentucky jan wrote: As far as reading posts, it sets my teeth on edge when I see "would of" instead of "would have."

Bingo! I can't believe how often I hear that, too.

Coming from the south, one that irritates me is "ya'll" instead of "y'all". Funny thing is, those in the south are as bad as those in other parts of the country with messing that word up.

07 Jan 2011 23:30 #27 by Hoot Owl
Replied by Hoot Owl on topic Words I always get wrong

freebird wrote:

kentucky jan wrote: As far as reading posts, it sets my teeth on edge when I see "would of" instead of "would have."

Bingo! I can't believe how often I hear that, too.

Coming from the south, one that irritates me is "ya'll" instead of "y'all". Funny thing is, those in the south are as bad as those in other parts of the country with messing that word up.

ya'll and y'all are inappropriate always, "you all" has the same number of syllables as y'all. While "you" may be just as applicable to the conversation.

I hate to hear people say "Axe me the question" uhh I wuold rather "Ask you a question" but your idear has possibilities. rofllol

08 Jan 2011 08:38 #28 by 2wlady
Replied by 2wlady on topic Words I always get wrong
What about "I am going to go AND do this?" I prefer "I am going to do this?" Why extra words when simplicity works?

I like the colloquialism "y'all." Spoken, it is one word. I much prefer it to "you guys," "youse guys," etc. Of course, I grew up in Virginia for a good portion of my life.

When I was in college, we were taught that all ready was like all wrong - two words. People still use "already" for every connotation of use.

09 Jan 2011 11:11 #29 by Surveyor
Replied by Surveyor on topic Words I always get wrong
I like y'all too. Have used the term since childhood. But it is a colloquialism, not proper English.

One phrase that makes me grit my teeth is "had went" rather than "had gone". I've head this used more times than I can stand by people who are trying to be grammatically correct--sort of like those who always use "I", even when they should be using "me". "It seems that way to you and I. Perhaps we should have went the other way..."" Arghhhh!

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds