Should Plastic Shopping Bags Be Banned?

07 Jun 2010 23:19 #11 by Rockdoc

The Viking wrote:

Sunshine Girl wrote: Or reusable bags.

They just had a story on the news this morning about how reusable bags aren't safe. No one really washes them and many times chicken, fish, or other meat blood and juices will absorb into the bags causing salmonila and other bacteria and diseases to grow. So unless you wash those reusable bags after bringing home meat, you may be carrying around diseases in your bag and putting other food on top of it like fruit that you may then touch or eat. Just an FYI.

That dear boy is just another ploy against going green. Considering I grew up in a family where we always used our own shopping bags and we never had a problem with out food, this is BS. Of course, heaven forbid that individuals throw the damn bags into the washer once in a while. Is that really so difficult to do? No. THe problem lies in convenience. Funny how you do not see those reusable bags as "urban Tumbleweeds", but the plastic ones liter the entire world. Saudi is infamous for "urban Tumbleweeds" You find them in remote parts of the desert, clinging to every fence and lining the streets. The other aspect is the use of hydrocarbons in making them. Many of us are appalled by the Morning Star oil disaster in the Gulf, but here we are in support of plastic, a non-renewable resource with an incredible ecologic shelf life. At least if a paper bag escapes, it's reduced to organic matter in a short period of time. More important, it's also derived from a renewable resource. Better yet, take those cloth bags of your won, a milk can instead of buying a plastic container of milk. Not all progress or change is good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Jun 2010 05:22 #12 by TPP
I'll use whatever is easier, at the time, leave me alone.

08 Jun 2010 06:50 #13 by LOL

TPP wrote: I'll use whatever is easier, at the time, leave me alone.

LOL

Me too, I need my plastic garbage bags, or I'll have to buy those too. I thought there was a company making bio-degradable ones.

I just want ones that wont tip over on the bumpy roads!

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

08 Jun 2010 06:56 #14 by LopingAlong
I was thinking along those same lines, rockdoc. Thing is, we are a nation of convenience-loving lazy humans! Me too, I admit it, but I do use my reusable washed bags about 98% of the time. The other times, I've forgotten them at home. Then I use the plastic ones for kitty litter disposal. I'd like to see things flip so it's more convenient to be green than to not. Someday....

08 Jun 2010 07:09 #15 by FredHayek
I like the plastic bags, I re-use them for many things. I do try to only use them when I have to.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

08 Jun 2010 07:26 #16 by TPP

LopingAlong wrote: I was thinking along those same lines, rockdoc. Thing is, we are a nation of convenience-loving lazy humans! Me too, I admit it, but I do use my reusable washed bags about 98% of the time. The other times, I've forgotten them at home. Then I use the plastic ones for kitty litter disposal. I'd like to see things flip so it's more convenient to be green than to not. Someday....

"Kitty litter" what do the kitties in the wild do with thery're doo?
Why waste a plastic bag? Bury it...

08 Jun 2010 07:43 #17 by LopingAlong
Good idea TPP, but the litter is the clumping kind--not sure what that does to the ground? I'll look it up. Then again, I'd still need to use something to get it from the box to the outside. Knowing me, it would be a plastic bag that I'd not want to save and use again. I'll think on this. Thanks for the idea!

08 Jun 2010 08:32 #18 by Wayne Harrison
In many places in the UK and Europe you bring your own bags to the grocery store (or any other store for that matter). People usually have a big "shopping bag" they carry with them when they go out. It just becomes habit to carry it with you and you drop in whatever you buy that day.

08 Jun 2010 10:04 #19 by AspenValley
No, but I sure wish manufacturers would cut back on much excess packaging they use. Especially those demonic bubble-pack things you can't open even with a chainsaw.

08 Jun 2010 10:19 #20 by JMC
I buy some things on line (food mostly) and I hate packing peanuts the worst.The have static cling,what a hassle.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds