WHISKY COMES HOME AFTER CENTURY ON ICE

18 Jan 2011 17:56 #1 by CinnamonGirl
WHISKY COMES HOME AFTER CENTURY ON ICE was created by CinnamonGirl
Three bottles of whisky abandoned in the Antarctic ice by British explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton have been returned to Scotland.

The bottles, from the British Antarctic Expedition 1907, were frozen solid at minus 30 degrees Celsius temperatures but the whisky inside was still liquid.
The bottles of Mackinlay's were part of a cache recovered last year from beneath Shackleton's Antarctic hut.
Tests are now under way to see how the whisky fared after being preserved in the polar chill for so long.

http://news.discovery.com/history/whisk ... pgn=hknws1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Jan 2011 09:56 #2 by ScienceChic
If they need a taster to make sure they're still okay, I'd volunteer to sacrifice my time and liver! :biggrin:

What an incredible find - history in a bottle! One of my dreams is to have an old bottle of Bordeaux - what an experience...

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

19 Jan 2011 12:38 #3 by Grady
I am not a scotch drinker..... but I'd make an excption in this case. :biggrin:

19 Jan 2011 15:35 #4 by FredHayek
Think one of the testers had a shot by now? In the interest of science, of course.

My idiot BIL would probably mix it with diet Coke, no class.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds