On this day in History....

23 Mar 2011 14:49 #1 by CinnamonGirl
On this day in History.... was created by CinnamonGirl
On this day in 1839, the initials "O.K." are first published in The Boston Morning Post. Meant as an abbreviation for "oll correct," a popular slang misspelling of "all correct" at the time, OK steadily made its way into the everyday speech of Americans.

During the late 1830s, it was a favorite practice among younger, educated circles to misspell words intentionally, then abbreviate them and use them as slang when talking to one another. Just as teenagers today have their own slang based on distortions of common words, such as "kewl" for "cool" or "DZ" for "these," the "in crowd" of the 1830s had a whole host of slang terms they abbreviated. Popular abbreviations included "KY" for "No use" ("know yuse"), "KG" for "No go" ("Know go"), and "OW" for all right ("oll wright").

Read more>>>> http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Mar 2011 15:02 #2 by Martin Ent Inc
OK then.

23 Mar 2011 16:12 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic On this day in History....
It seems to me the meaning has changed I always thought it seemed more like a little less than 'All Correct"

Like all right but not perfect.

23 Mar 2011 16:16 #4 by ComputerBreath
I always use OK for "take it or leave it"...eh. And I always thought it became a big part of our vernacular when Oklahoma was a new territory or state.

Interestingly enough, in my travels across 3 continents...everyone knows OK.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds