Front Load Washer

27 Mar 2011 18:59 #1 by HappyCamper
We are in the market for a front load steam washer and would appreciate your feedback good or bad on the different models.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Mar 2011 21:43 #2 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Front Load Washer
I wish I could help. I have no idea. I will be interested in what others have to say.

28 Mar 2011 10:01 #3 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Front Load Washer
The only thing I can say is when we switched; we saved enough on our water bill to pay for the washer. They are more water efficient and you can run larger loads. Honestly, regardless of brand I'm pretty sure once you get under the skin and beyond the bells and whistles there are really only a couple of manufactures.

Our's says Maytag on the front label, we bought it at Sears, because of how Sears treats it's employees who have to deploy.
FYI we are in Kings Valley, so we actually have a water bill.

28 Mar 2011 10:08 #4 by HappyCamper
Replied by HappyCamper on topic Front Load Washer
Grady,

Which model of Maytag? This is one that we are looking at pretty closely.

28 Mar 2011 10:38 #5 by Grady
MFW9700SQ1

28 Mar 2011 23:13 #6 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Front Load Washer
We bought the GE Profile front load washer and dryer combo a year and a half ago. Either we got a lemon, or the ratings systems were bad - we've had off and on issues with it, all within the first year (some computer board kept overloading so it would stop running and smoke would pour out of it, making the clothes smell and need to be re-washed, also sometimes the drum wouldn't spin well enough, leaving the clothes soaked) so I can't recommend it. Especially not the customer service - they were happy to send repairmen out every week, but when we finally said enough and we wanted a replacement washer, they acted like it was no problem at first, but then did an about-face and refused citing that it was always possible to repair the problems so it didn't fall within their guidelines of replacement. That customer service guy got his ear burned off for forcing me to choose between a washer that could catch fire in a home with 2 small children or dumping an 11 month old, $1000 washer for a brand new one from someone else. It's behaved itself for the last 6 months, but I'm just waiting for it to break again (we ended up buying the extended warranty, couldn't afford another new washer so soon. I don't start a load and leave the house, that's for sure!). The dryer's great!

According to Consumer Reports, their Best Buys are the Kenmore 4027 ($800), LG WM2050C ($700), and GE WCVH6800J ($750).

A quick internet search yields some of the ratings from Consumer Search: http://www.consumersearch.com/washing-machine-reviews
LG WM2301HW
Frigidaire Gallery GLTF2940FS
LG Steamwasher WM2501HWA
Samsung WF448AAW

http://www.consumersearch.com/washing-m ... ng-washers

Steam washers: Are they worth the money?
So is steam worth it? The answer is unclear. We found two independent tests in which experts compare the cleaning power of washing machines with and without steam. In 2008, ConsumerReports.org noted in a free post on its Home and Garden blog that the steam washers tested by its editors cleaned better with steam. "Each machine did a better job at removing stains with the steam setting, but these models cleaned well even without steam," editors write. Good Housekeeping magazine editors also tested steam-equipped washers against 20 common stains, including lipstick, soda and spaghetti sauce. Although they conclude from their tests that "steam is more than a lot of hot air," they do not say whether the steam cycle actually did a better job of removing stains than the regular water wash. Based on these results, it appears that a steam-equipped washer is unlikely to be a good investment for most users. However, it might be worth the extra money if you regularly wash laundry soiled with tough stains.

This is one thing that I saw repeated over and over back when we were researching front loaders. I'm pretty attentive to taking care of my things, so after every end of clothes washing days, I wipe out not only the rubber drum gasket, but also behind the gasket where the water gets sucked into the machine (it's 3 little holes and gets clogged with dog hair pretty quickly which reduces water drain), the back of the door, and in the compartment where the detergent, fabric softener, and bleach are put so it won't have a chance to sit and mildew/mold. I also leave the door and detergent compartments cracked open for a couple of days after I've finished laundry for the week (here in CO where it's so dry, it's probably not as big an issue as it is back east and down south).

Another caveat is that because of their design, front-loading washers require more daily attention. For example, we've read many reports that front loaders can develop mold and mildew problems caused by moisture and dirt being trapped in the door seal after a cycle. Some users say that wiping away water after a cycle and leaving the washer door open when the machine is not in use will prevent the problem, but others have tried this approach without success. Affresh Washer Cleaner Tablets (*Est. $9 for three tablets), developed by Whirlpool, are supposed to combat mildew and odors in high-efficiency washers. These tablets get a 4-star rating in over 50 reviews at Amazon.com. Some owners report great success and improved freshness, but others say the tablets don't make a dent on odor. Tests conducted by ConsumerReports.org also found Affresh to be ineffective at removing residue.

Not to change your mind from front-loaders, because they can be great, I just firmly believe in being well-informed so as to make a wise decision on a purchase that works best for you. Good luck!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

29 Mar 2011 16:39 #7 by Grady
I should add we do use the washing machine cleaner (which I am pretty sure is just bleach) every once in a while.

31 Mar 2011 12:25 #8 by ScienceChic
What did you end up going with HappyCamper?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

31 Mar 2011 13:10 #9 by HappyCamper
Replied by HappyCamper on topic Front Load Washer
We are on the fence between Maytag and Whirlpool.

Hubby had to go out of town for a few days so my guess is that we will make the decision this weekend.

31 Mar 2011 13:37 #10 by ScienceChic
Good luck! Please do keep us posted (I might need to buy a replacement for my crappy one sooner rather than later and would love to know how yours works out for ya!).

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds